I've been playing guitar for about 7 years but I often find myself listening to the score of a movie or videogame and saying "Wow, I wish I could write something like that". My question is, how would you go about learning to compose music with all those strings, horns, the whole package? What kind of education do these composers have? Thanks.
sigs suck
^ Formal degree in music. Usually in composition, rarely in orchestration. Sometimes in performance, though it's rarer today, since it's hard to have the time to be a good performer and a good composer anymore.

I'm strapped for time, I'll go into it more when I can.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
Im glad I get to answer you. Well you gotta start with music theory formally from books by James Murray Brown or Stephen Macpherson. These are trinity college and royal board books. They guide you into that. Basically you should be fluent with writing clefs and reading music. Then it'd be much easier for u. Anyways go ahead.
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
I've been composing for several years now, and in my experience, it comes down how inspired you are and how well you apply theory. You better know the basics at least, because the more you know, the more you can create. I find that sometimes, I don't feel inspired, so my writing is dull. That's when it's tough, but you have to struggle through it.

Honestly, I don't think it's as hard as it's made out to be. I've been doing it for over 5 years, and it's only getting easier because I keep learning more and more.