Any tips on learning how to sing and play at the same time? Other than "practice".

I can do it for simple songs (that are just strummed chords) but if I have to play something more complex than chords, and sing at the same time, I'm in trouble.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Hate to say it, but you have to be able to play the song blindfolded before you can sing with it. Try to hum the song while you play, then just say nonsense words that go with the song, and eventually try to start singing it.
This has been asked quite a few times, so you should search and find those threads, and read the replies, then ask a specific question if you still have one. The answer you are looking for has most likely alreaday been answered. good luck

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1266282
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Start with easy songs with easy chords like major and barre chords. Then work your way to the easy stuff. Another easy was is starting with call and response songs. Songs that you sing, then play a little riff/lick and sing again. Alot of singers/layers do that. Try songs with a riff playing along with the singing. Like Lick It Up by KISS. Vinnie and Paul play the riff while Paul sings 'Lick It Up", and You Really Got Me by Van Halen. Eddie plays the riff while Dave sings "You Really Got Me"(great example because Eddie sings background vocals while playing". VHs Runnin' With The Devil is good too.

You have to basically concentrate on your playing AND singing at the same time. It isn't easy i tell you what.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
the best is wild thing to learn to play its only 1-4-5-41 and over really. i sing made up words to find a melody and then give them intelect
yea im having the same trouble with "under the bridge".. I can play it fine but when i add the words it all goes downhill
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Obviously start with easy songs, which you have already done, and just build up. Don't throw yourself in the deep end or youll probably drown. I'd move from 4 chord strumming to fingerpicking chords and then move on to riffs and more complex timings. Other that it is honestly just about practice.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I think you just have to get into the mentality that playing and singing are seperate things...you just have to be able to get your mind to split in pieces and concentrate on two or more things at once.
If you did allot of this would you eventually get the hang of it?, or would it be like starting over every new song you try?
"And Whamo! Your stuck with some boring job, and they dont let you play guitar and they dont let you take pictures of naked women"
-Homer Simpson