i was wondering, how much does it cost to have a coil split(NOT a tap) instaled in a guitar? (parts and professional instalation, id mess it up if i did it myself)
thanks
I would imagine anywhere from $100-200
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by captain_jack
i was wondering, how much does it cost to have a coil split(NOT a tap) instaled in a guitar? (parts and professional instalation, id mess it up if i did it myself)
thanks

shop=100$
yourself=5$
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
some of these prices are a bit far fetched. first off if you go to the shop then it should be $60 max with a set up. and doing it yourself without the tools you just need a soldering iron, and solder and your pretty good. also depends but usually you can get wiring diagrams from the pickup maker website
I just upgrade my pups myself and I had never done it before. Just go to the pickup vendor for the schematic for the guitar you are putting them in. It's not too difficult.
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
£40-£50 tops, it's not a major job for a luthier. I recently had the pickups on 3 guitars replaced, one fret dress. couple of minor repairs and all three set up and it was £200 for the lot.

Of course that's assuming you're in the UK...TBH it's probably cheaper in the States as there's more guitars and more luthiers so it's more competitive.

And I just found out that I live in the same town as Trevor Wilkinson!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
isnt coil splitting just a poorer sounding coil tap??
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Not quite the same - a coil tap allows you to reduce the output of a single coil, usually by having a secondary wire that bypasses part of the coil. A coil split is where you split the coils of a humbucker, bypassing one so you're effectively using a single coil.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

whats the advantage of a split then over a tap tonally??
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

A tap won't affect tone so much as output volume, you're pickup will be quieter. It's useful if you have a high output humbucker and don't want to fiddle with the volume to make it clean up, or as a quick way to reduce your volume on a single coil.

A coil split on a humbucker gives you a more single coil sound, although it's still hum cancelling. It'll be a bit quieter, with a brighter, less warm sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc