so im makin a guitar but im gonna see if i can put effects into it. kind of like those distortions you see that are built in. i remember hearing someone say that EVH had a ton of knobs on one of his guitars that were used as effects.

so im asking if making the effects for the inside of the guitar would be similiar to how they make them on the amp? considering the amp's effects go into one pot (i think) and how that might work for the guitar. Maybe having like 3 knobs somewhere on the guitar and make a tiny effect pedal inside of it and use it that way.

anyway, does anyone know where i can find a place to make these effects?
███████████████
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
████████████
Just ducktape some stompboxes to the guitar.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
yes yes but how???

no duck taping stompboxes either.
███████████████
████████████
Quote by FFFDFEFRFKFFF
Just ducktape some stompboxes to the guitar.

That would be so punk rock...awesome
the lesser known of the 4
Get the guts out of a pedal and build it into your guitar. Wire the in to the hot/ground wires going to your jack and wire the out to the jack. All you're doing is putting the pedal circuit in line with the guitars output. If you place it properly, you should have to drill holes for the pots to sit in the face of your guitar. Otherwise you might have to desolder the pots, connect wires to where they were soldered in and then place the pots and solder the wires onto there. Oh, don't forget the battery either.
I'd be interested if somebody did it this way
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
they have things you can solder into your guitar
they're basicaly IC chips with a in out lead, you usually solder it to something like your tone pot (in the place of the cap), and the tone knob dials in the effect.

For example, I think stewmac has something called the black ice.
so if i were to use some basic pedal schematics and just put them into my guitar then i'd be fine? so how does this battery work inside of the guitar?

also, if i had like 3 of these "effect pedals inside my guitar" going on, should i even worry about doing the volume and tone knobs as well?

EDIT: would you have to get like a 9v for each effect? or just one?
███████████████
████████████
Last edited by westo at Sep 15, 2006,
well, the black ice is passive, it requires no battery

also, if you had 3 of those effects, you're gonna have to sacrifice 3 of your knobs for controlling the effect, and even if they did need a 9v battery, you'd only need 1, it'd just suck the battery dry 3 times faster
why can't i just add the knobs on? im making this guitar anyway?
███████████████
████████████
if u put in an actual pedal, make sure you shield everything
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
so i bought this cheap strat (too little time to build one) and i bought two effect pedals (delay and flanger) and i'll disect them to get the insides out.

can anyone just show me how to connect the wires of the effect pedals to w/e inside the guitar?

for the knobs i'll just drill the holes on the top and push the knob on top of the pot when i drill it. easy enough right?

oh yeah- i'll also use bronze mesh to cover the whole chip of the effect pedal thing on the inside so nothing's messed up.

i only need to know where to wire and solder things to
███████████████
████████████
^ thank you for you're annoying reply, you pretentious ass.
███████████████
████████████
Every pedal jack has the same basic connections as the output jack on the guitar. There is a lead wire and a ground. The ground will go to the jack chassis and the lead will go where the lead wire is soldered on to the jack lug. If you're doing this with actual pedals, nearly every pedal that I know of has a switch jack that completed the battery circuit whenever a plug is inserted into the "in" jack...you will need to rewire this switch. You can more than likely get away with a standard SPST switch to activate each battery for each effect. It would also probably work a lot better (and sound a lot nicer) if you got some stomp-style switches for the face of the guitar and wire each effect true bypass.

As far as adding knobs and switches on the guitar, you don't really have many options other than to route out a cavity under the pickguard or route out the back of the body behind the bridge to mount the PC boards in. It's going to take some space to put these effects in, so take your time and make it neat. Are you sure you want to build in a flanger and a delay though? You'd be limiting yourself as far as effects placement goes (flanger through an overdrive typically sounds dirty and unusable...unless you're Tom Morello or Mike Einzinger).

The idea isn't new...Bo Diddley had a wide variety of effects build into his Gretsch, and Danny Gatton had a "Dingus Box" built into his guitar with controls for an Echoplex, amp reverb and vibrato on/off switches, a built in phase-shifter and a few other effects over the years. There was a DJ/Guitarist I saw a while back that had an Ipod attachment and a mini-turntable control on his guitar as well...crazy khaos pad type stuff from that guy, and he'd play and scratch tracks from his Ipod (sometimes played through his pickups) while he played a solo or looped a guitar rhythm. ARM THE HOMELESS!!!!
Dude your gonna have to change that battery like everyday b/c if you leave your pedals all wireed up and dont unplug them theyll eat your battery so your gonna need those to have true bypass. and besure to flip off the effects when your not using them. otherwise youll suck the life out of the batteries as well!!! im a noob but i still no wut im talking about.
Quote by JacobMPrater
Dude your gonna have to change that battery like everyday b/c if you leave your pedals all wireed up and dont unplug them theyll eat your battery so your gonna need those to have true bypass. and besure to flip off the effects when your not using them. otherwise youll suck the life out of the batteries as well!!! im a noob but i still no wut im talking about.

That's what the spst switch would be for...so he could switch the battery off so it doesn't drain. Most pedals will drain batteries when they have a lead plugged into the "In" jack due to the battery circuit being completed...they'll drain batteries even when they're turned off.

Jacob does bring up a great point though...you will want to build in easy access to the batteries...maybe buy a few of those battery boxes from stewmac.
Thanx 2 string but yes as i was saying its like leaving a pedal plugged in. DRAINO!!! unless, of course, like 2 string said youll need a switch. (yes im acting like i had the same thing in ming when i didnt (dont worry 2 string all credit goes to you)) ;-)
Quote by westo
^ thank you for you're annoying reply, you pretentious ass.

Hurrah! You got a warning!

Isn't that ironic?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Hurrah! You got a warning!

Isn't that ironic?

what a hoot^

if your not gonna use the vibrato on the strat copy,you should screw the bridge down.
then you have a loada room in the vibrato cavity for circuit boards and whatnot.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by TwoString
That's what the spst switch would be for...so he could switch the battery off so it doesn't drain. Most pedals will drain batteries when they have a lead plugged into the "In" jack due to the battery circuit being completed...they'll drain batteries even when they're turned off.

Surely a DPDT switch would be better...? I'm new to this switch business, so I don't know a whole lot, but I thought DPDTs didn't drain as soon as they were plugged in like SPDTs do?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Ok so here's what we have:

A FAB echo effect pedal and a FAB flanger effect pedal

IDEA 1:
If we were going to attach both of those effects to the inside of the guitar, would it be correct if we took the two wires going into the output jack of the guitar and cut them (inside of the cavity) to solder to one of the effect pedal's input jack. Then we'd take the output of that same effect pedal and connect it to the input of the next effect pedal. Then we would take the output of that effect pedal and connect it to the original wires we cut inside of the cavity that go directly to the guitar jack's output.

IDEA 2:
Is it possible to connect the two wires going to the output jack of the guitar (the red and black ones in my case) and split those to go to both effects at the same time and then connect the red wire to the red wire and the black to the black wires at the output of the guitar (in other words, can you filter the effects at the same time or do they have to be filtered one after the other?)

thanks a ton for the replies. hope someone can tell me which one of these would work.

we would just connect the 9V batteries to where they're supposed to go on the effect pedals
███████████████
████████████
can somone help on this, i have a time limit.

sry for the dp
███████████████
████████████
i hope this goes good, i was thinking abou doing this on my next project guitar.

i think i dea 1 will work but idk because ive never tried it.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
The first one.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
id like to see a schematic for the first one. i might do this on my next project.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
sounds cool. another thing you could try which is a bit more advanced, is build a fuzz face with SMT resistors caps etc. that would save a lot of room and you could fit more in
jackson dinky build!

do you live in a country?

pics dude or a vid of you trying to say 'bananaramapancake'
so it comes out brabrabrabwabwa

^about when i came home from the dentist and my face was numb from novacaine.
Be aware of the lack of space in a strat.

I had to make the cavity bigger to take just one pedal.

But yes, use the first idea, with a DPDT switch for each one.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
nobody's mentioned matt bellamy yet?
basically, its not like you can just spill the guts out of an md-2 and hope that it'll fit. you gotta carve a cavity out of the back of your guitar, fit it in, and then wire the pickups to the pedal input, (and you'll probably want true bypass as well), and then wire the output of the pedal to the jack. if you have more in line, then thats that much more wiring and carving, so its not the best thing for a guitar sonically, so be careful.

Matt bellamy from muse uses a fuzz factory and a mxr phase 90 in his earliest custom guitar. They both already had true bypass and low power usage, so they were pretty ideal. Google a list of his gear and you'll find a picture of the guts of his black guitar (which is INSANE).
Right, I made this diagram, but it's really hard to understand.

Can anyone make a better one?
Attachments:
schem.JPG

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
hmm, i did GCSE Electronics and this makes no sense, so from the 9V Battery we got to Block A which links round to Pedal A Right? and Parrel to this it goes to Block B and Pedal B right?

The Input To Pedal A and B will need to be Connected because useing that block like that isnt going to work, maybe a split like you have with the battery.

The Outputs from Pedal A is Connected to the input of Pedal B Right? so it might work, but we kind of need to neaten it up a bit... and make amends, but that looks like itll work
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

His neatened up version.

The negative of the battery needs to connect to ground too, anything else?

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Looks Good, but i think Splits in the wire would work better than those blocks, with the blocks youve got to have a wire go in one side and come out in teh same place on the other(well another wire) or are they chips? because thats how we had to draw chips in Electronic's
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
They're DPDT switches

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Quote by shredmeiser101
if u put in an actual pedal, make sure you shield everything

hey, im working with this guy who's doing this and he got banned, so here i am.

you said you had to shield the effect pedals, can you tell me where i can find out why you have to do that? cuz i've seen that the effect pedal boxes have to be sturdy, but it never quite said anything about any outside interference coming into the effects. also, where could i find out what material i could use to shield those effects?

thanks!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by frenchyfungus
Be aware of the lack of space in a strat.

I had to make the cavity bigger to take just one pedal.

But yes, use the first idea, with a DPDT switch for each one.

just wanted to say to the threadstarter.....if you dont use your vibrato you should get a hardtail bridge,guitarfetish sell em for cheap.

if you do that you will have plenty room for wiring and circuits where the vibrato springs were.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX