I bought my PRS Santana used and it was great for about 2 months,then one of the pickups started sucking.It sounded like I barely had the volume turned up,you could barely hear it.So I took it to the shop I got it from and had them repair it,but all they did was replace the switch and jack.When I got home,it worked for about 20 minutes the it died again.I took it back,and they said they could'nt fix it.About a week later,none of the pickups were working.My dad took it apart and found one of the pickups had been replaced and the wiring had been messed with a lot.He thinks he can fix it,but isnt sure.Could the wiring be crap,and just need to be sautered back together,or will I have to get new pickups?
Tom Morello > Adam

Adam>fax machine

(I'm a cookie in a caked up world)
Or just buy all new pickups and electronics.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
I dont have the cash to do all that.
Tom Morello > Adam

Adam>fax machine

Yeah, just sauder them. Then see what happens. If you're confused on what to do, they have diagrams online. Search for them on google.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Quote by ibaRGnez321
Yeah, just sauder them. Then see what happens. If you're confused on what to do, they have diagrams online. Search for them on google.

I gonna try that,but would a guitar saudered like that be gig ready?
Tom Morello > Adam

Adam>fax machine

Eh, you'd have to play around with it a little bit.

When's your next gig?
Quote by tronsbasscool

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
what the hell is saudering?

Anyways pickups just dont go bad all of a suddent.

Get some new wire and some new pots and do the job yourself, total cost should be under $25.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
what the hell is saudering?

When you sauder, you connect the wire to some metal. So, you'd resauder the wires to the outputs of the pickups.
Quote by tronsbasscool

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
It's actually spelled "Solder". But, ibaRGnez321 is pretty much correct. You melt the solder (Usually some sort of tin. It's a pliable metal-wire looking thing) using a soldering iron, (kind of looks like a tatoo pen) to connect two pieces of wire, metal, or whatever, together. That gives the connection strength, and allows electricity to pass through.
Just be careful to not mess the wires around too much when you're repairing. My soldering adventures are half trying to find where the connection is bad because the wires are so messed.
no
There's no reason a guitar should do that. If you told me that without saying "guitar," I would say it's the amp because that sounds more like an amp problem. There's no reason for a pickup to suddenly die. It's not like they lose magnetism or a charge like a battery. With guitars, either it works, it works incorrectly, or it doesn't work at all.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 15, 2006,
It's most likely the electronics. Replace the pots and the jack. Buy some new wire. www.stewmac.com has everything you need. It's a little more expensive than some places but i support them heavily. They have high quality stuff and good deals on a lot of other items.
Its definately not my amp,I KNOW its the guitar because other guitars work fine,and this guitar is crap on all amps.I dunno when the next gig I'm playing is,but I like to have a backup guitar just in case.
Tom Morello > Adam

Adam>fax machine

if they changed the jack and toggle switch Ill bet the volume or tone pot is bad, its open not letting a signal pass thru. Passive magnetic pups dont die and if it was soldered good enough to work when you bought it I doubt the wires came off. On the other hand a volume or tone pot is a mechanical device which wears with useage and dirt build up. I would try buying an aerosol electronic contact cleaner and soak the pots from the back cavity then spin them back and forth freeing up caked on dust and maybe fixing your problem.
I know what "soldering" is, but apparently half the thread doesnt.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
check the volume pot. mine is on its way out and sometimes the sound cuts out alltogether in certain positions. Thankfully max volume works fine.
--edit- i'm slow, but CustomCustom explained it better.
Quote by Drumstick
My dad took it apart and found one of the pickups had been replaced

Wait, so you're saying it doesn't have the original pickup in it? Did you get this used or something?
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
Wait, so you're saying it doesn't have the original pickup in it? Did you get this used or something?

Yeah,thats why I said that I bought it used in the first ten words of the sentence

It had a PRS humbucker in one slot,and a Dimarzio in the other.
Tom Morello > Adam

Adam>fax machine

It should be your switch. Make sure they replaced it with a new switch, preferably one that has not been lying around for a while. My guess is that you have an oxidation problem around the switch. I had the same problem with my gibson's neck pickup, it sounded like the volume was barely coming out of the amp and that it was on a clean channel. If you cant do it yourself, take it to a guitar tech and have him scrape that nasty oxidation of your switch. Some fresh metal there should do the trick
- Gibson Les Paul Studio, Wine Red w/ Gold Hardware
S_O_L_D_E_R (good one, songwriter). Anyway, are you 100% sure its the guitar. Try another through the amp, then replace the electronics...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
I have gotten a new guitar since the PRS died,and I've played about 7 other guitars though my amp,so it cant be that.
Tom Morello > Adam

Adam>fax machine