hey. just wondering. does anyone know for sure what guitar kurt was using when he recorded smells like teen spirit.? (or just the intro) im trying to get as close as i can for exact sound for a talent show where im doing a cover and i cant decide if its single coil or humbucker. both sound close. well if ya know please enlighten me.
Smells like you need to use your Vox and make it smell bright. Maybe make it warmer with a tubescreamer or use ur Boss with just the volume on and everything to O.
Guitars... *drools uncontrollably*
he used a mustang of somesort....im pretty sure it was the same one in the music video
im just gonna guess and say its a '62
it really wont make the slightest difference, just use the same amp settings.....
EDIT: just use your squire and smash it at the end of the song. true nirvana experience.
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
ok..thanks..one more question..whats the website for that vox setting site again? ive seem to lost it..
You're playing Smells Like Teen Spirit at a talent show? You better sound EXACTLY like the studio cut, because otherwise, what a cliche'd joke. No offense. Why not play Aneurysm? Such a great song...
Be sure to put on brand new strings for that bright tone fix only they can deliver.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Quote by oddling8
You're playing Smells Like Teen Spirit at a talent show? You better sound EXACTLY like the studio cut, because otherwise, what a cliche'd joke. No offense. Why not play Aneurysm? Such a great song...

hah we are playing aneurysm too! but i got the sound perfect for that one. and thats why im asking this. so i can make it sound perfect.
just dont play SLTS
anything else....i love nirvana, fav band, so do something else...its a little cliche....
if you HAVE to do something off of nevermind, do Drain you.
otherwise stick to in utero....
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
he played both.
Quote by lateraluspiral
She sucked your dick after you put it in her ass..?
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran
At least you're thinking out of the box.

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club.

Save the world?
I'm pretty sure he used a strat for recording. It may have been stock or with a hot rails in the bridge. Strat>Ds1> amp with basically no mids or bass.
there was a class documentary on nirvana and cobain

in one part it had the producer showing u each part of the band playing in certain songs including smells like teen spirit . and he said you can hear the lack of quality in his guiar, the only thing that is of good quality is his voice which they played seperatly which was so disiplined

its really bugging me i cant remember

it was on channel 4 or 5 a good few months ago,

and they had a hendrix one like the week before but it was crap cos they got this guy to pretend to be him but he was right handed , stupid producers
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
Quote by classicshredder
he played a jaguar not a mustang dumbass!

Wahey! You gotta love it when someone insults you for being wrong, when actually they were wrong

Kurt played Jaguars and Mustangs (as the other guy said), hence when he made a custom model, he asked for a mix of the two: A Jag-stang. He could have called it a Must-uar, but that would have sounded like a perfume for people who like to smell musty.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
jagtang or mustjag
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
did he have a custom jagstang for nevermind?
i thought that came afterwards when they became famous...
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
Quote by danzig-_-

Yeah it was when they became famous. Who said otherwise? Was it me? I didn't mean it to be me...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by danzig-_-
just dont play SLTS
anything else....i love nirvana, fav band, so do something else...its a little cliche....
if you HAVE to do something off of nevermind, do Drain you.
otherwise stick to in utero....

i agree, everyone knows SLTS, do a song that afterwards if someone asks you who it's by, you can say nirvana, and they'll answer with a surprised "really?" if your a fan you'll be aware of the song Sappy, do that
my books myspace
Here
read it, new chapter added every 2 weeks
Quote by classicshredder

can't you just say: he played a jaguar, not a mustang

there's no need to flame people (it's annoying for me)

btw, why don't you play school or aneurysm, try not to be cliche

joe
Last edited by deluxity at Sep 16, 2006,
Quote by danzig-_-

just by being a jag-stang, it's custom (at least in that year)
im a huge nirvana fan to but i agree SLTS is a bit over played. Try some things from bleach/incesticide such as love buzz, mr moustache, school. Or from nevermind maybe lounge act or drain you.
were only playing SLTS cuz people have tried to play it at my school before and have sucked completely at it but my band and i can play it so much better so were going to..its kinda a thing to do..
Quote by CustomCustom
Heart Shaped Box

YES great song
Quote by lateraluspiral
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran

Save the world?
Quote by Lost Hippie
I'm pretty sure he used a strat for recording. It may have been stock or with a hot rails in the bridge. Strat>Ds1> amp with basically no mids or bass.

i think the bridge pickps were seymour duncan jb.and he used the ds2 more than the ds1 i think. srry if i am wrong. amp settings for slts are around bass:3, mid:4, treb:8, gain:8. sorry if im wrong, but thats what i think it is. and i'd play drain you or lithium
Quote by lithium26
i think the bridge pickps were seymour duncan jb.and he used the ds2 more than the ds1 i think. srry if i am wrong. amp settings for slts are around bass:3, mid:4, treb:8, gain:8. sorry if im wrong, but thats what i think it is. and i'd play drain you or lithium

no he got his ds2 later on, after the recording of SLTS
Quote by lateraluspiral
Thats love.

Date idea?
Quote by Kensai
Sneak into mordor
Quote by Gigatiran

Save the world?
Quote by CustomCustom
Heart Shaped Box

Lithium

or In Bloom
Member #2 of The Improve UG Forums Movement, PM Musical Meds To Join

[20:35] <Horrid> I'm gonna go gay for you.

(23:03:22) <OptimusPrime> I hate black people

DOES NOT HATE JOSH KLINGHOFFER
Quote by classicshredder

BACK TO HELL AUGUST 06 DEMON!!!

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Last edited by Metallica708 at Sep 17, 2006,
I think it was his blue mustang from the 60's or a strat that was used to record the clean parts, and most likely his modded Jag for the dirty parts. Try to bear in mind there are like 5 separate guitar tracks on the album version of SLTS so you're not gonna really be able to replicate that tone very easily. Also, amp settings are going to depend on your amp, but generally you want quite high mids.

Edit: His Mustang was a '69 competition model for those who care.
...Bleep Bloop...
Last edited by GHJ at Sep 17, 2006,
Quote by bambi_slaughter
were only playing SLTS cuz people have tried to play it at my school before and have sucked completely at it but my band and i can play it so much better so were going to..its kinda a thing to do..

Just please play it better than this .
Quote by bambi_slaughter
hah we are playing aneurysm too! but i got the sound perfect for that one. and thats why im asking this. so i can make it sound perfect.

Aneurysm is an AWESOME song, awesome riff; good luck! The tone on that song is fantastic; how did you effectively emulate it?