I've got an early nineties Gibson SG Special and I love everything about the guitar except the pickups. I'm mainly using this guitar for all types of metal, hardcore, and hard rock genres so I need a good distortion sound and nice cleans. I was thinking about putting EMG's into it. Anyone have any opinions or experience with active EMGs in an SG? Or any other suggesstions for pickups I could use to get my sound preference?
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
emgs sound amazing in anything. ive got the 81/85 set and its the best thing u can do if u play metal. i bet they would sound great in an sg
Imho youre fine as you are. If youre going to upgrade the pickups though, Id suggest passives by other brands. But, if you really want that, Id try one out first before making up your mind.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
emgs are nice, cleans aren't the best, but will do, for more cleans i suggest duncan JB/Jazz combo
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy
emgs are nice, cleans aren't the best, but will do, for more cleans i suggest duncan JB/Jazz combo

Like the jazz and great for cleans but not a big fan of the jb.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
EMG 60 is a nice clean pup, idk why everyone says EMG's can't have good cleans.
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Emg's are good in an SG. IMO SG's sound a little wooly coz of its lack of maple and the EMG's add that extra bite so go for it.