hey,

my band is just starting up, and we dont want to get a pa yet.
Could i run a mic through a guitar amp so we can practice with vocals?
is there any way to do this?
thanks
Yeah I'm sure it would work, I've had to do it a few times with some friends and stuff and it works fine, except we had to crank the volume all the way up and put treble, mid and bass up too. If you use a amp that takes just regular inputs you should be fine.
Yea you can but a guitar amp is going to do a good job of capturing the nuances of the human voice.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
you like august burns red thats sweet. my good friend is the drummer for twelve guage valentine who is touring with august burns red in a month
^ random...?

Anyways, it works yes. But does it sound good? No. Just make sure its on teh clean channel! lol
A bass amp is a much better choice when micing vocals, bass amps are more like PA's, their speakers are similar and the tone is basically just an amplfied signal, no coloration.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
A bass amp is a much better choice when micing vocals, bass amps are more like PA's, their speakers are similar and the tone is basically just an amplfied signal, no coloration.

You meant keyboard amps, right?

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Keyboard and bass amps are very similar, both have PA type speakers, the bass amps usually have more power handeling in the speakers and thats all.

They all beat guitar amps for vox.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^ it depends on what kind of bass speakers youre using. If youre using like an old Peavey 2x15 cab loaded with Black Widow speakers with no horn..its gunna sound like crap. (i know first hand lol). Using an 8x10 cab will sound a bit better because most have a horn for high end.

that has nothing to do with anything...lol...oh well.
I use my Bassman's "Normal" channel for vocals all the time. Sounds good.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
What is it with people trying to run other things through various amps!!?

P.A's are there for a reason.

Im not overreacting again am i?

Wheres my medication, i havent taken it.
Yeah, nothing beats a proper PA, but if you have a half-way decent keyboard amp around, it will do in a pinch.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
A decent keyboard or bass amp is the best
But a guitar amp will work
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
It'll work and is a quick fix. I hope I understand the situation. If you are sending it through an amp someone is playing a guitar through also, you will notice what is called in the biz constructive and destructive interference. This will cause momentary re-enforcement or cancellation of certain frequencies. Will it hurt anything - no. Will it sound like junk, well, sometimes, but not continuously. In the old days, bands did it all the time. I don't think your audience is going to notice anyway.
+1 for keyboard amp. When my band tried out for the battle of the bands @ a skool, they used a roland keyboard amp and that projected the vocals pretty clearly.
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
Hey Guys in a recent article in Guitar One I saw that Joe Walsh uses a Cube 60 for his vocals. Im just wondering does this work well?
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!