Wouldn't it be considered kind of dumb if you wanted to play classical music on the guitar? Wouldnt a piano be a better choice?
Uh...no. Classical is amazing, playing classical guitar should make better at just about any muscial style. Deffinatly learn to play classical, if anyone calls you a fag for it, slap them with your awesome nylon string acoustic...
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
he shoved a pole up the lads arse.

he didn't bumshag him.
No, I don't think so. I don't play classical music, but I know Andres Segovia played classical guitar and brought the style back into the spotlight a bit.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Quote by Unreal T
Wouldn't it be considered kind of dumb if you wanted to play classical music on the guitar? Wouldnt a piano be a better choice?

No, it wouldn't be considered dumb at all.
no man. there are a whole bunch of classical songs for the guitar. im thinking on learning some classical stuff myself.
Quote by rancidrocker
Uh...no. Classical is amazing, playing classical guitar should make better at just about any muscial style. Deffinatly learn to play classical, if anyone calls you a fag for it, slap them with your awesome nylon string acoustic...

Partially disagree. I went into a classical teacher about ten months ago and the first thing she told me was that I was playing the guitar wrong. Holding it wrong, wrong hand position, wrong picking technique, the full nine yards. After two lessons of going backward, I said "screw this" and left. I went to a jazz teacher, and I'm still with him nine months later, and an enormously better guitarist because of it. The whole classical thing with keeping one's thumb behind the neck at all times is pretty pointless outside of classical fingerstyle music.

That being said, classical guitar is a wonderful style and people who say otherwise are wrong.
no
I don't think it would be dumb, I own a nylon string guitar and I bought it because I like to play classical music.
Unreal T, thou art ignorant. Randy Rhoads, one of the greats, loved and played classical guitar.

Edit// To Bucky 2300, I'm sorry you had that experience with your classical guitar teacher. However, keeping your thumb behind the neck at all times is essential for shred and any style that requires swift, precise movement. It IS the wrong method of playing for blues, some rock, and possibly jazz.
Last edited by Fargalas at Sep 15, 2006,
Quote by bucky_2300
Partially disagree. I went into a classical teacher about ten months ago and the first thing she told me was that I was playing the guitar wrong. Holding it wrong, wrong hand position, wrong picking technique, the full nine yards. After two lessons of going backward, I said "screw this" and left. I went to a jazz teacher, and I'm still with him nine months later, and an enormously better guitarist because of it. The whole classical thing with keeping one's thumb behind the neck at all times is pretty pointless outside of classical fingerstyle music.

That being said, classical guitar is a wonderful style and people who say otherwise are wrong.

Classical is a very disciplined playing style, you do it perfectly and play whats on the page. Whereas Jazz is pretty much all about improv.
Quote by bucky_2300

my school guitar teacher was like that. everything i did was wrong. i dont really get it. if you can play the peice in front of you, how are you playing wrong? who cares? jimi hendrix used his thumb to fret the bass notes in barre chords instead of actually barring. that is technically wrong but obviously it doesnt matter.
Quote by YYZ
Classical is a very disciplined playing style, you do it perfectly and play whats on the page. Whereas Jazz is pretty much all about improv.

I, and most jazzbos I know will largely improv, but have a set of licks we want to use within that improv. Being able to truly improvise licks on par with the greats is unbelievably hard.

Quote by Fargalas
Edit// To Bucky 2300, I'm sorry you had that experience with your classical guitar teacher. However, keeping your thumb behind the neck at all times is essential for shred and any style that requires swift, precise movement. It IS the wrong method of playing for blues, some rock, and possibly jazz.

I use a hybrid method. I didn't say anything about always having my thumb over the edge of the neck. My point was that this teacher wanted me to always play in that classical style, which is to say the least a poor idea for anyone who wants to play any style other than classical (which I did say.) What I said about the David Gilmour bends could easily be followed up with "play licks like Randy did in Flying High Again with your thumb over the neck. I dare you."
no
I started off playing classical guitar, then wanted to play the music I listen to, so I got an electric. Classical taught me great great things.

Anyone who plays guitar should be able to appreciate good guitar playing whatever style it's in. Listen to some good classical guitarists!..

Julian Bream
John Williams
Carlos Bonnell
Gary Ryan

Some composers did some amazing things with the guitar as well, no one especially musicians should be saying things like that.

What do you think people played on the guitar before the 20th century? Classical music....so you can't say it's "dumb" to play classical music on the guitar. It was built for it.
Quote by TedZilla
It'd be more "dumb" if someone thought like that.

amen brother
YEAH I'M STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON, FOO!
i play classical guitar and mainly my teacher is pretty relaxed about my way of playing but when im playing in front of people its pretty strict and i use correct methods but yeh and usually you play with your thumb in the middle of the neck is there for longer finger stretches also your not meant to put a lot of pressure on the thumb of your fretting hand