has anyone gone to one/go to classical music performances? i remember a few people here played in reputable ones (like the guy who performed the Mozart Requiem).

i'm excited...i've been out to university for a few weeks, and i've seen my friend in a small ensemble for Polish music (since we have a national Polish Music Center out here at USC). in the coming semester i'm planning on seeing my friend and other people perform in the USC Thornton orchestra: Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, Verdi Requiem (i can't wait), and possibly (i'm on the waiting list) Mahler's First Symphony at Walt Disney Concert Hall. it's a beautiful thing.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
I went to one once. I have no idea what it was. I just went because my friend dragged me there lol. I didn't like it very much. Classical isn't my thing at all.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
I've been to a classical concert with my class in elementary school.

It was at the Roy Thompson Hall in Toronto, and it was pretty cool. I don't really remember much except for the fact that the band was huge and had no trombonists.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by Stop Messin'
I went to one once. I have no idea what it was. I just went because my friend dragged me there lol. I didn't like it very much. Classical isn't my thing at all.

yeah, classical wasn't my thing either until i took a music appreciation class between my junior and senior years. and even after that it took maybe 3 or 4 months for me to really get to like it. now, i couldn't live without it. it's too amazing to look over. enjoying classical music has made me a MUCH better musician and a much better song writer...maybe classical as a whole isn't for everyone, but i find it hard to believe that there isn't something for everyone. if you start with the right pieces to listen to and know just a little about the time periods, it's amazingly rewarding. much more so than any rock IMO.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
The thing about classical concerts, for me, is that you know exactly what to expect and what you'll hear.

That defeats the purpose of going to see someone perform a piece, for me. I'll stick to my jazz
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
The thing about classical concerts, for me, is that you know exactly what to expect and what you'll hear.

That defeats the purpose of going to see someone perform a piece, for me. I'll stick to my jazz

well for me, that's not entirely the case...you can have wildly different interpretations of pieces. for example, Chopin's nocturnes...i've heard 3 or 4 different interpretations, same music but all emit a different feel...Pollini's for example may be slightly more faithful, Sterczinsky's might have timings that poorly reflect the emotion. or Mozart's Requiem...Marriner's would have intensity coupled with driving force, while Karajan's would be slow and romantic with immense dynamic variation. even if you didn't give two shits about classical music, if you did an A/B listening test of two interpretations of the same piece, you could tell the difference.

also...if you know you can expect beautiful music in a setting that would surround with it, is that a problem?

certain types of jazz are all fine with me, i like to enjoy it myself (but i won't lie that i don't know much about it). but even improvisation can only go so far. virtuosity can't replace expression, tight control, and the definite sense of emotion in classical.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Last edited by phobos at Sep 16, 2006,
the last time i went was to my university's performance of Carmina Burrana, and it was incredible. now that i'm actually starting to listen to classical music, i'd be much more excited to see more. i can imagine it's a thing of wonder to hear a beethoven symphony live.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
yesterday i just say my friend play in the USC Symphony Orchestra (no small feat by any stretch of the imagination, it's a tough school to get into)...Stravinsky's Rite of Spring.

hooooly shit, my heart was pounding throughout the whole piece. just seeing them pizzicato the strings until they snapped on the fretboard, feeling a huge bass drum pounding in the background, and hearing the horns blaring...it was an intense experience. not to mention it's probably one of the harder pieces in classical music to coordinate amongst an entire orchestra.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

man, i would love to see a performance. im already in college so i could catch one of their performances several times throughout the semester.
The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops moving when the music does.

Last.fm
I love classical performances, there massively different to your standard live gigs.

The downside is theres nothing to tap your foot to.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by fronkpies
I love classical performances, there massively different to your standard live gigs.

The downside is theres nothing to tap your foot to.

yeah definitely...and especially to Stravisnky. in the Rite of Spring, about half the time the counting s literally "one-two-ONE-two-three / ONE-two-three-one-TWO..." so absolutely no toe tapping to speak of
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)