Page 1 of 2
Why does every local band in my town play out of a solid state half stack? Every band that we play with has one. It's disgusting. It's always a Marshall too. One band has a KranK.
It's probably because they just want to look cool, and dont care about their tone.

Also, they dont spend NEAR enough time here on UG.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
I can't stand solid state stacks. Something about the high end kills my eardrums, but a tube on the other hand don't.
the lesser known of the 4
So long as its not MG series i'm ok with solid state. And spyder II, those suck even worse.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Well what other marshall would they have?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
i personally liked solid state amps better than tubes....except for a mesa boogie rectifier...but other than that, i love solid state amps...they give me the tone im looking for
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
^^Really? I mean, i don't mind the AVT head, but i sure don't prefer it over a tube head. But i guess its your opinion that matters.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by flesh fries
i personally liked solid state amps better than tubes....except for a mesa boogie rectifier...but other than that, i love solid state amps...they give me the tone im looking for

different strokes... thats cool.
the lesser known of the 4
i love the marshall solid state stacks... the suck worse then a food processor (adult humor... for those who are scrating their heads right now). But there are decient solid state amps... ie Randall RH200. and yes, most people buy a marshall stack because the name is printed nice and big on the front and eveybody will know they have the "best" amp... even though i personally hate marshalls, almost as much as i hate people who swear they are the best. either way, dont lose faith in solid state, just look around, ALOT and you will find a decient one. And FYI, i am in NO WAY sugesting that any solid state is better than a tube amp, but they are an econamical alternative to the nicer Mesa tube amps.
Apparently none of you have heard a FLextone II, III, HD-147, Vetta II, Randall, Carvin, or B-52 solid state stacks. They have anywhere from a decent tone to a great tone.

Crate makes the worst solid state stuff...the Spyder series is 100x better than any crate i've played tube or non tube.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I just picked up a new G3 series Randall head, the RH150 G3. It is wikkid. I like it as much as any Mesa I've ever had the pleasure of playing through.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by SEALSniper1152
i love the marshall solid state stacks... the suck worse then a food processor (adult humor... for those who are scrating their heads right now). But there are decient solid state amps... ie Randall RH200. and yes, most people buy a marshall stack because the name is printed nice and big on the front and eveybody will know they have the "best" amp... even though i personally hate marshalls, almost as much as i hate people who swear they are the best. either way, dont lose faith in solid state, just look around, ALOT and you will find a decient one. And FYI, i am in NO WAY sugesting that any solid state is better than a tube amp, but they are an econamical alternative to the nicer Mesa tube amps.

I have a Randall RH200... great amp. I personally like solid states more. Amps like a Dual Recto and the Peavy XXX are great amps, but they just don't have that sound and feel that I like and get from my Randall. It all comes down to personal preference... saying that solid state amps suck or that tube amps are tons better is bogus. Sure, there are crappy solid states (plenty of them). There are also crappy tube amps. Anyways, my giraffe's name is Yolanda and I play horrid amounts of yella flaksmaka bring me the cake.
It just really gets me how many large bands use marshalls, I'd prefer mesa boogies for SS actually.

Well it's their preference, they can get whatever they want with the money, in fact, they can get 50 cube 30s and make that somewhat a fullstack or whatever.
a lot of bands use Solid States stacks because they are cheap and reliable and also dont weigh nearly as much as tube amps, (when you gig a lot, this DOES become an issue) hell even some bigger bands who use tube amps in the studio use SS amps live because they are a lot more reliable (you dont haver to worry about tubes blowing during performaces or tubes getting broken when your gear is being moved around all the time) and genneraly sound fine in a live enviroment, out of all the tube purists here i wonder how many of tem have ever actually toured with a tube amp?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Oh yea, and tube amps are pretty fragile too, those dudes who carry them on gig busses or whatever, urgh.

Besides blowing your tube during ozzfest does NOT appeal to me even if I can buy so many of them.

Besides using tube amps live isn't much better because playing live has generally not as good mix or sound balance.

Ok, imagine SOAD touring in ozzfest, with sooo many people watching them, suddenly one of the tubes blow out for the lead guitarist, he has to stop and do whatever.
yeah hed have to stop and have his tube replaced (which unless you have an EXACT match involves rebiasing whihc is a pain in the ass.) Plus usually when you are playing a gig youll be running through a not so hi-fi PA system so you wont get amazing tone anyways.

Last.fm
The Randalls that Anthrax etc use the G's and T's etc....... they are misleading in SS terms.

They are seriously cool amps.

People should try them, i think Randall have SS down to a T, literally.
Uhhh

If someone professional blew a tube live, they'd simply switch to a backup rig
The tech would grab the blown rig, throw in a new set of matched tubes and use that as the next backup

Nobody on tour would have a single amp, thats ****ing retarded. Bands like SOAD have 3 and 4 backups. Plus, Darrin (I think thats his name) of SOAD was using Marshall SS amps
The Mode 4 to be exact

But there are all sorts of fantastic solid states out there. You can get some messed up cool-ass tones with SS amps. I love my little Hiwatt Custom 10, I use it for lead tones while recording. Hell, I even micced it and used it live once. Hahahahaha
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
hell even some bigger bands who use tube amps in the studio use SS amps live because they are a lot more reliable

Which bands? and which amps do they use?
Quote by Apok
Uhhh

If someone professional blew a tube live, they'd simply switch to a backup rig
The tech would grab the blown rig, throw in a new set of matched tubes and use that as the next backup

Nobody on tour would have a single amp, thats ****ing retarded. Bands like SOAD have 3 and 4 backups. Plus, Darrin (I think thats his name) of SOAD was using Marshall SS amps
The Mode 4 to be exact

But there are all sorts of fantastic solid states out there. You can get some messed up cool-ass tones with SS amps. I love my little Hiwatt Custom 10, I use it for lead tones while recording. Hell, I even micced it and used it live once. Hahahahaha

yeah SIGNED PROFESSIONAL bands have backup rigs, what if youre not signed to a major label and cant afford to have a backup rig? the guy was talking about local bands, hell last time i did a small tour with a band we barely had room for our regular gear, let alone backup rigs. Even if you did have a backup, blowign a tube during a set wouls be pretty embarising, and Daron from SOADs amps are hybrids not SS, so yeah theres a chance of him blowing a tube too.

Quote by Mr Songwriter
Which bands? and which amps do they use?

Dimebag Darrel used SS amps pretty much exclusively, Chuck Schuldiner used valvestates (or AVTs i get those two mixed up) live, Daron from SOAD uses hybrids live, i think there are a few other pros that use the same amp he does.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Sep 16, 2006,
Quote by Invictious
Besides blowing your tube during ozzfest does NOT appeal to me even if I can buy so many of them.

Ok, imagine SOAD touring in ozzfest, with sooo many people watching them, suddenly one of the tubes blow out for the lead guitarist, he has to stop and do whatever.

This guy wasn't talking about local bands, he's talking about Ozzfest
And if your gonna play a major festival, you're gonna want a backup

Yeah, the Mode 4 is a Hybird amp, but it sounds like a Solid State, and IMO using a SS poweramp deafeats the purpose of the tubes
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
if your amps are mic'd, i really dont hear any difference between tubes and solid states, now like a firehall show with a small pa and just vocal's being mic'd then a tube sounds alot better, but when im at our local concert hall i see one guy using a JCM2000 and the other's using a Randall G3 and i thought the G3 sounded wayy better miced, i was close enough to see they only had the volume on like 4 and the club's poweramps were controling most of the sound and solid states don't sound to bad if there not cranked ether....
i like my solid state stack..=[
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
pacoasterrider: The guy with the JCM probably didn't have his amp loud enough to take advantage of the power amp distortion. Which is the whole point of tube amps

Unless you've got it fairly loud, your not really hearing the amp
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by pacoasterrider
i was close enough to see they only had the volume on like 4 and the club's poweramps were controling most of the sound and solid states don't sound to bad if there not cranked ether....

Hehe,...

I think that is one of the 10 Commandments of live sound. It might even be the golden rule.

"Thou shalt keep stage levels sane so you can control the front of house."

Doing otherwise will only make yours a job of damage control.

Yeah, guitar players and their 150W tube amps that they insist on cranking up to 12.5 on stage. Audience asks "Why can't we hear the vocals over that guitar player?" Uhhh.... the soundman isn't even running him through the PA!! And then the guitarist has the nerve to ask, "Why can't I hear myself in the monitor?!!!" GRRR!!!!

Chris

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by Apok
pacoasterrider: The guy with the JCM probably didn't have his amp loud enough to take advantage of the power amp distortion. Which is the whole point of tube amps

Unless you've got it fairly loud, your not really hearing the amp

Solution... sidewash the amp (ie. have it facing away from the stage... maybe even backwards if necessary) so that the amp isn't firing directly into the crowd and making the soundman's job a living he!!.

Chris

there to much of rich noobs to know that stuff, they just get p!$$ed when a 500dollar solid state sounds better live then there 2000 dollar mesa's, seriously everything here is mic'd including drums and everything, and it's a fairly small 1000 person club turned into a show and ran through 4 of those rectangular 2X15" speakers (and another beside the drummer) as well as 4 floor monitors, and it gets really loud for the small venue. the unexpierenced guys with tubes are always messing with their eq on stage and there always mad that they cant get the sound out, while the smaller bands using solid states, and especally hybrids are very happy,

mabye that's why your seeing a ton of solid states, they get their tube amps and then they dont know how on earth to mic it and stuff, and think their friends solid states...and also money, im 16, i cant afford a 1000 dollar tube amp and maintain it ether
Very true Chris

I'm not a fan of big stacks on stage. After being at a Motorhead concert, I concluded that 4 Marshall stacks created some rediculous SPL's

I'm a big fan of Attenuators (I.e. THD's Hot Plate) for running big amps. As long as the amp itself is biased a bit cold, it makes life alot easier
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
It's because they have sex with men, that's why.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^How do you know...?

Sorry, bad aznrockerdude .
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
if i had to choose between a marshall solid state stack and my crate vintage club 50 all tube head i would go wit my crate all the way baby
XBLive Gamertag: ecdeluxe1000 send me friend requests (make sure u put UG in the message somewhere)
whats with all the sudden sucking up to solid states, the chances of blowing a tube live really arent that big if you look after your amp plus solid states mic'd up really dont sound as impressive as everyone is trying to make them sound. i played a randall the other day and thought it sounded crap compared to a smooth tube marshall
As stated before,
I'd actually like a Randall SS Stack...
Not as much as say... A mesa rectifier or mark IV, but it would still be nice...

Also, for non distortion
my school has a really old Fender Princeton Silverface and Roland Jazz Chorus
that get some pretty sweet blues/jazz clean tones...

But SS are really only good for those two extremes,
for that smooth overdrive, tube is untouchable IMO.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by nofxnofxnofx
whats with all the sudden sucking up to solid states, the chances of blowing a tube live really arent that big if you look after your amp plus solid states mic'd up really dont sound as impressive as everyone is trying to make them sound. i played a randall the other day and thought it sounded crap compared to a smooth tube marshall

well some people actually prefer solid states, did it ever occur to you that not everyone likes the smooth tube sound? Noone ever said that miced up SS amps sound amazing or anything, the main argument was that if you run an SS or a Tube through your average PA you wont really be able to tell all that much of a difference because a lot of PAs arent exactly super hi-fi.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
well some people actually prefer solid states, did it ever occur to you that not everyone likes the smooth tube sound? Noone ever said that miced up SS amps sound amazing or anything, the main argument was that if you run an SS or a Tube through your average PA you wont really be able to tell all that much of a difference because a lot of PAs arent exactly super hi-fi.

well the main difference there is that you dont NEED to put tubes through a PA unless your playing f*ckin download festival or sumthin, solid states on the other hand WILL have to go thru a PA when you get past the stage of playing small clubs, and as for the tone, of course there will be a difference. i know tone is preference and i agree you can get nice sounds out a solid state amp, its just in the situation of playing live, valves are much more practical with volume and will sound better turned up than a SS stack, you cant argue against that.
i agree with nofx3. besides that not every friggin gig has a pa. if i played at school, there'd be no pa, so i'd be faced with either cranking the schools MG or my DSL. hmm...i'll have to think about that..
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
i agree with nofx3. besides that not every friggin gig has a pa. if i played at school, there'd be no pa, so i'd be faced with either cranking the schools MG or my DSL. hmm...i'll have to think about that..

no PA? how is the singer heard over the instruments?
and in response to nofxnofxnofx, a lot of people do run tube amps through PAs because its easier to get the levels even, not to mention if your doing a soundboard recording for whatever reason, and there are SS amps that sound fine at high volumes.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Sep 17, 2006,
Page 1 of 2