ok...someone please tell me how to work this god damn thing... yes as you guessed im new at it...been messing with it for a while but its still not right...after i canged strings and let them stretch and all that ... when i finally get my guitar tuned the bridge is way to high...im using ernie ball super slinkies (.9 on the high e) but i dont know what guage string were on them...they were the stock strings on an ibanez rg4ex1 (if that helps any)...but everytime i get it tuned the bridge is really high up out of the body and i already have the claw screws tightened...SOMEONE PLEASE FUC KING HELP ME I JUST WANNA PLAY GUITAR...thanks in advanced
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
XBL Gamertag: XzXPatrickXzX
The System HAS Failed
Quote by tommyp484
"RUSSELL! WHAT THE F*CK!!!!"
there is two screws on the back wer the springs are tighten those but first loosen the trings by detuning then retune if that doesnt work go to ur local guitar shop and buy an extra spring

move the screws as far back as they will go ?
If its going up above the body, then that means you put higher gauge strings on it, as its adding more string tension. The easiest way to fix it would be to just buy another set of strings with the same gauge you had before and restring it, which, from what information you gave, id guess might be 8s, but if you messed with the claw screws, its a totally new ballgame. When you tightened the claw screws, did the bridge at least come down some? If you went as far as it would go, you probably need to add another spring to get enough spring tension. They are cheap, and if thats your problem im sure someone would be more than happy to get you a guide to how to add another screw and get the bridge level.
Last edited by Brainwash at Sep 15, 2006,
it has 3 springs in the back connected straight...3 is most you shoud have isnt it? (dont know for sure but from what ive read i havent heard of more than 3 springs in the back)... and i have tightened those from what they originally were
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
The System HAS Failed
Quote by tommyp484
no i didnt i figured that may harm my guitar in some way such as putting too much strain on the neck and bending it or something like that
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
The System HAS Failed
Quote by tommyp484
How far from level is the bridge? How far are the screws from going all the way in? It wont harm the guitar to go all the way in, because all you are doing is zeroing out the string tension, you just need to take it slowly. You most likely wont have to adjust the truss rod for the neck, but if you do, its also pretty simple. Heres the way ive been taught to set the tension:

1. loosen nut locks.
2. loosen the strings, but not too lose.
3. tighten the claw screws a half turn (although it can be more if the bridge is up that high, but see how much a half turn changes your bridge the first time so you can judge how much to do.)
4. retune guitar. It doesnt have to be 100% perfect, though.
5. if level with the body, you are done. if still above the body, repeat steps 1-3 until level.

I know, its a lot of work, but no one ever said FRs were easy. Good luck.
are you talking about tightening the screws while there is still pressure on the bridge? sorry to ask what may be a dumb question but i just want to make sure... but seriously thanx a ****load for the help... if i can figure it out and get it done im gonna add you in my sig as my hero lol...im also thinking about just taking it to the local musoc store and getting it professionally done for 35$ but thats alot of money and i would have to take it out of my halfstack funds
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
The System HAS Failed
Quote by tommyp484
Last edited by XzX_Patrick_XzX at Sep 15, 2006,
Yea, but thats why you are supposed to loosen the strings, so there is some string tension, just not so much that you are pulling the entire hundred odd something pounds of standard tuned string tension, and not so little that there is no string tension at all. Just use your judgement. Its not a dumb question. Everyone was new to FRs once.

Its your choice to take it into a shop. If you are nervous with doing it, then id recomend you take it in, and maybe ask them for some tips for maintaining your FR. Thats what I did when I first got mine, and the guy was more than willing to actually walk me through the steps and show me where to do everything.

Your welcome. If you need any more help, feel free to post or PM me.
Last edited by Brainwash at Sep 15, 2006,
thanx alot dude...your 1 of the only people on ug that will take the time to explain something to someone with out being a dick about it... and that is greatly appreciated
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
The System HAS Failed
Quote by tommyp484
this is a really tricky balancing act. if i've got everything disassembled, including the springs in the back, here's what i do from scratch

1. bolt in the strings at the bridge/tremolo end
2. hook on the springs, 3 in my case, 5 if you're stevie ray vaughn
3. lace the strings thru the tuning pegs

you can pull them pretty much taught when going thru the peg post hole, and winding from there, because as you tighten the strings, they'll pull the bridge forward

from there it's pretty much just a balancing act between the claw and the tuning pegs.

untill my strings are fairly broken in, i leave the locking nuts off

after a few times, the mystery and fear will fade into monotony.
You should post this in EG section, anyways, follow these steps and you'll never be lost.

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licensed Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic