Ok, i am getting the equiptment for an amp stack. I got a preamp already picked out, but i need help on choosing a CAB.

I got a question, can you use a PA speaker or basic speaker cab, and hook up the preamp to it?

Lets say like trying to hook up a Behringer V-AMP PRO Modeling Preamp to a Kustom KPC215H 2x15" PA Speaker Cabinet with Horn??? Could that work? Like just hook the preamp to the speaker and play my guitar through that, or will that not work???

I am new to stacks and making my own custom stuff, but i am on a budget so i cant get the BIG stuff yet.

Will that work? Can someone give me the basics on how to make a custom stack and live-sound guitar amp set up?

Please and Thanks,

--Duncan
Gibson Explorer 1976 Reissue
Epiphone Special 2 (Stock Humbuckers)

Behringer V-Tone GM110 (Practice)
DigiTech RP80
Crate GT212 120w 2x12" Speaker Amp. (Stage/Gig)

I use ERNIE BALL strings!!!
Id hold off on the whole 'stack' thing for awhile buddy. Whats wrong with just getting a decent combo?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Id hold off on the whole 'stack' thing for awhile buddy. Whats wrong with just getting a decent combo?

I am in a band and we are playing gigs almost every week. I got a drummer, a bass player with a stack, a singer, and a keyboardist. I gotta have something that can match or get over those. A combo aint gonna do that. lol. Or at least any combo i know of that dont cost over $400.

DigiTech RP80

And tube combo with at least ONE speaker ( ) and 50watts will work. More speakers doesnt mean more volume. The difference in volume between 1 speaker and 4 isnt even noticable...
Quote by kurdtkobaign
And tube combo with at least ONE speaker ( ) and 50watts will work. More speakers doesnt mean more volume. The difference in volume between 1 speaker and 4 isnt even noticable...

Yea, i git wat your sayin.

But, would a standard loudspeaker PA thingy work??? Would i need a Power Amp??? What sorta power amp do i look for, i mean. I see power amps listed under GUITAR, but then some listed under LIVE SOUND. The ones under LIVE SOUND are cheaper, can i use those with a guitar set-up??

The reason i am asking all of this. Is cause i have 2 loudspeakers and woofers, and i got the Preamp already. If i can use a cheap power amp, then i am all set. So, i need to know.

Oh, and thanks for the advice, dudes! I love how fast you get your questions answered on here. This place rocks.

DigiTech RP80

Quote by kurdtkobaign

you have absolutely no clue what your talking about. why type nonesense like that?
park your little 50w combo with ONE speaker next to my tsl100. ill just use one 4x12 cab and keep the vpr button in making it 25w and ill bury you so deep. ill never have to turn up past 3 or 4 either.
also park a 50w combo next to a good drummer like mine, or my bass player for that matter and you'll never hear your guitar.
Quote by NuTiNsAcReD
you have absolutely no clue what your talking about. why type nonesense like that?
park your little 50w combo with ONE speaker next to my tsl100. ill just use one 4x12 cab and keep the vpr button in making it 25w and ill bury you so deep. ill never have to turn up past 3 or 4 either.
also park a 50w combo next to a good drummer like mine, or my bass player for that matter and you'll never hear your guitar.

Ah, now this guy knows what he is talking about. My bassist has a 60w amp with TWO SPEAKERS, and it cant even outmatch the drummer.

But, the question is still up "would a standard loudspeaker PA thingy work??? Would i need a Power Amp??? What sorta power amp do i look for, i mean. I see power amps listed under GUITAR, but then some listed under LIVE SOUND. The ones under LIVE SOUND are cheaper, can i use those with a guitar set-up??"

DigiTech RP80

Quote by NuTiNsAcReD

Dont try preaching to ME, alright pal?

Go take your high and mighty 'Ive got a big bad halfstack' attitude elsewhere.
Quote by Rabid--Mutt91
Ah, now this guy knows what he is talking about. My bassist has a 60w amp with TWO SPEAKERS, and it cant even outmatch the drummer.

But, the question is still up "would a standard loudspeaker PA thingy work??? Would i need a Power Amp??? What sorta power amp do i look for, i mean. I see power amps listed under GUITAR, but then some listed under LIVE SOUND. The ones under LIVE SOUND are cheaper, can i use those with a guitar set-up??"

OH NO NOT TWO SPEAKERS!!

..sry..

Yes it would work. Yes you need a power amp. Any power amp will work. Look into Nady poweramps. Youre better off with a good combo still.
its not preaching. its stating the obvious. you have no clue about live sound nor what you would need to play a live show. please stop giving advice untill you do get that clue.

i see people on here looking for advice and its amazing what they get most of the time.
honestly threadstarter. yes that setup would work, but would you really want to unless its absolutely the only option you have.
if you want to sound good get yourself a decent cab with celestions, a decent power amp with 6l6's or el34 tubes in it. and use your preamp.
you will never like the way the speaker cab with a horn in it with a cheap power amp will sound. it might get you by but thats about it.
^Lmao...he needs a power amp...his setup won't work as it is.

A PA poweramp won't sound as nice.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by NuTiNsAcReD

they call em mids son, they really help you cut through.

also, i guarantee his recto with bury your TSL. regardless of volume.

have you ever compared 2 amps side by side? combo VS stack?
the stack is louder, there just more size to the sound. but 50 watts tube is ****ING loud.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by NuTiNsAcReD
its not preaching. its stating the obvious. you have no clue about live sound nor what you would need to play a live show. please stop giving advice untill you do get that clue.

i see people on here looking for advice and its amazing what they get most of the time.

I missed something then if its so obvious. Bro, that stuff is my life, k? Its what I do for a living. Sell gear and mix bands.

Whatever. This is lame. Some people are just too thick headed to get through to.
what peopel really fail to realise is that a lot of the appeal of stacks is that they look good, and regardless of what musicians would like to think, when youre trying to get somewhere as a band, how you look onstage IS important, also stacks give mmore tonal felxibilty and push air a whole lot better than combos do, plus you have more and better mic options with a stack.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
looks shouldn't matter. at gigs it matters i guess, but when you go to record a demo and you amp sounds like jennifer love hewitt getting raped with a cheesegrater, and no one likes your demo because it sounds like ****, then you get bad reviews and fail as a band, then looks dont matter.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
yeah and stacks can sound really damn good too, unless you get a crappy one.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
which in this case, will happen. rather than buying a good combo the threadstarter will buy a **** stack.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Okay

Explain why you need this massive stack? Unless your playing large venues, you probably won't need it. Hell, even if you ARE playing stadiums, you don't need big Marshall or Mesa. I've seen tons of bands come onstage with 40 and 50 watt tube combos and blow the place apart (I.e. JCM Combo). You just need to know how ot mic and mix it PROPERLY

If you want to go the preamp route, well, unless your going direct to the PA, you'll need a power amp and you'll need some cabinets. I don't like going that route, but if its what you want. Then that's your bare minimum
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah