me and a few friends are doing a school talent show soon and we need three songs..we got two already but we need one more. we dont want to play anything metal...more like mainstream/classic rockish eg. the foo fighters, RHCP, led zeppelin, black sabbath..ect. and i was wondering if you had any ideas or what of these songs we shoudl do.
we ARE doing: smells like teen spirit - nirvana (hey, no matter what it is a good song)
aneurysm - nirvana

but we want something else not nirvana.
our ideas: everlong - foo fighters
my hero - foo fighters
paranoid - black sabbath
black dog - led zeppelin
immigrant song - led zep
unholy confessions - A7X
californication - RHCP
by the way - RHCP
just some ideas we had
what are your suggestions/opinions?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Play "Bat Country." I'm not a huge fan of the song, but it's well known and it shows off some decent chops.

He said he didn't want to play any metal. Even if A7X is poser metal ****.

Anyway, I'd go for Californication
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

1. You're gonna get a lot of "black sabbath NOT METAL!!!! WHAT!!!!???"

2. Out of that list, go with Immigrant Song. 'Tis cool.

Though, I'd suggest not doing two songs by one band. You're placing more glory on Nirvana than your own band.
i mean metal metal...like pantera, metallica...A7X and black sabbath have more punk or emo elements
Quote by bambi_slaughter
i mean metal metal...like pantera, metallica...A7X and black sabbath have more punk or emo elements
Erm...Black Sabbath doesn't really have any punk or emo elements...

They do have bluesy influences, though...
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING?! BLACK SABBATH EMO?!! pantera sure as hell aint emo either
Calm down young man/woman.
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU SMOKING?! BLACK SABBATH EMO?!! pantera sure as hell aint emo either

i said punk OR emo....black sabbath=punk, A7X = emo. and no matter how poser metal avenged is, those guys can still kick ass at shreding (even tho they look like fags)
and i didnt say influences, i said elements. and yes black sabbath definatly had punk elements.
Quote by puppetmasters
ur so stupid. do u realize how many metal songs u put on that list?
Not everyone cares about what's "technically" metal and what's not. No need for hostility either.
bambi_slaughter . UHHHHHH. again ur stupid. sabbath r the gods of metal. what r u talking about with this punk. punk are influenced by sabbath yet everyone is, sevenfold plays basic stuff but because bands today suck and have no talent, a sucky solo looks godly.
Quote by puppetmasters
bambi_slaughter . UHHHHHH. again ur stupid. sabbath r the gods of metal. what r u talking about with this punk. punk are influenced by sabbath yet everyone is, sevenfold plays basic stuff but because bands today suck and have no talent, a sucky solo looks godly.
Ugh...I see so many of your type on UG, and it just gets so annoying...

Please, just stop being such a bitter elitist. Lighten up, will ya?
yawn u r right. but that origional comment just disgusted me for some reason but thats coming from a HUge metallica fan.
open up with something spicey that catches the ear of the audience (something most people recognize). i would put one nirvana song in the middle (probably teen spirit) and close with something else easily recognizable. personally, i would have the third song be something that builds up really strong, and comes back down in a big finale, leaving the crowd wanting more without cutting it short.
Quote by yawn
Ugh...I see so many of your type on UG, and it just gets so annoying...

Please, just stop being such a bitter elitist. Lighten up, will ya?

thank you. i agree. people who think they "love metal" and know everything about it.

to the kid...
black sabbath IS part punk. listen to more than the 4 mainstream songs by them and youd know this. your a poser.
im sorry but this is what happens. we have along convo and the emo guy says sabbath is punk and metal r posers. wow. is this whats happening to the good will of rock and roll? no wonder i hate emo music.
Play something within *everyones* skill capabilities, and play something thats going to be well known to all the audience - not just the headbangers or whatever you call them!

Californication is probably the most well known song on the list - assuming the audience is going to be a mix of people who like guitar music and people who dont.

Just dont choose something that any member of the group will struggle to play. Else you will all look terrible.

Edit : Especially the vocalist, you've listed Unholy Confessions as one of your potential tracks - now, I cant sing for ****, but, that song strikes me as quite tough for a vocalist, screaming and singing - just keep it within your capabilities, if you can nail the harder tracks that you listed, then go for it..If not, you dont want to look like you are out of your depth.
C
C
Play under the bridge, dani california, snow(hey oh), Hard to concentrate
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

I would suggest Californication. It's pretty well known, people will sing along and is simple. Your band shouldn't have any difficulty playing it.