i am looking for a $400(ish) amp thats LOUD. i play heavy metal and need something capable of small gigging and something that i can use at practice. ive been looking at the line 6 spider II 212. Its 150w and i was just wondering if anyone would recommend that...or something else.
I like the amp, 99% of the people on this site don't like it though. $400 is a small price range, I'll get back to you in about 5 minutes, usually I avoid recommendations between $300-$500.

Fender Bluesman 15 watt's are loud SOBs
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=SX300&CID=GA

carvin SX, its got a good tone, its not the best tone ever.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-60-Guitar-Amp?sku=480197

roland cube 60, one of the best solid states out there

and just about any VOX amp would kick major ass.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
You really shouldnt settle for an amp in the $400 price range unless you are looking for a nice, smaller amp, or a big, crappy amp. All spiders fall into the latter catagory. Have you ever considered going with a small tube combo and micing it for gigs and practice? If you save up a little, you could get a 50W tube combo, and it would be just as loud, if not louder than the spider, and it would sound a hell of a lot better when cranked. But of course, if you dont mind horrid tones, the spider is for you.
[quote="Brainwash you could get a 50W tube combo, and it would be just as loud, if not louder than the spider, and it would sound a hell of a lot better when cranked. But of course, if you dont mind horrid tones, the spider is for you.[/QUOTE"]

a 50 watt tube combo is gonna be easily 2x as much as he's asking, which is basically saying get a cheap tube combo which is probably the same as a good solid state amp.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
lol. i played the spider and i thought it sounded pretty damn good. and i hate the roland cubes. thanks mesa. i do like the carvin though. ill have to check that out.