Page 1 of 2
Im going to be honest, some of the guitar riffs are cool, but im really not digging your voice.

Really, start singing lessons or something.
ok...what the hell was the 1st one? and...i wont say it sucks because no artform of music sucks but i just think that raped my ears...
nah dude, you aren't terrible. just brush up on your vocals. you almost sound like a young john frusciante. the second song was pretty good i might add.
i really dislike your singing, but overall the music is not that bad..kinda a retro/southern sound with the acoustic playing..interesting
Quote by SchecterC-1+Man
ok...what the hell was the 1st one? and...i wont say it sucks because no artform of music sucks but i just think that raped my ears...

SOOOOO sorry about that man, umm that song was actually 5:30 second song I made with my friend when I first started playing...but I couldn't play so I did keyboard and he did guitar. When I converted it to mp3 from wav it compressed it into 30 seconds. Therefore, it had structure but it was really harsh on the ears...I should have included a warning. Also, thanks for the comments, just keep it honest guys. I can definitely handle criticism. I'll try to find out who john frusciante is...I don't know much.

okay man im seriously going to try to stay with you here..how long have you been playing, 2 weeks? the first song ****ing killed me, your lucky i didnt click x. the second one is horrible, your just playing random notes is what it sounds like to me. i just cant bring myself to listen to anymore. im sorry man, and im not going to tell you to give up, because youll never get anywhere, but i would say to take those recordings OFF until you can at least play something tolerable
Quote by nine01n
okay man im seriously going to try to stay with you here..how long have you been playing, 2 weeks? the first song ****ing killed me, your lucky i didnt click x. the second one is horrible, your just playing random notes is what it sounds like to me. i just cant bring myself to listen to anymore. im sorry man, and im not going to tell you to give up, because youll never get anywhere, but i would say to take those recordings OFF until you can at least play something tolerable

Sorry, about the first one...again. The second one was an improv with my friend. It's not random at all. I shouldn't have put that one up since it was a collective effort, but later on that song really gels...believe it or not. Maybe I should have just posted my solo stuff...thanks for the honesty though.

Maybe if you hear the other ones you can give me a better idea of what my music is...try the myspace link instead, or just listen to the last two songs on purevolume.

Dont say sucks. No music sucks. U just need more experience, and perhaps some singing lessons. Im guessing u didnt record songs multiple times and then refined them until they were perfect? If so, dont put up any old crap on a website, make sure that ur really happy with the song. Also, dont make a lead out of random notes, it just doesnt work.

Practise, and ull get better. Come back when ur a little more refined
i do like the song in the first link,the others I couldn't open. but you should improve your singing...
By the way, listen to some Red Hot Chili Peppers!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Now i bet people are gonna stick "i remember when comeback road diead" in their sigs
Quote by gallagher2006
Dont say sucks. No music sucks. U just need more experience, and perhaps some singing lessons. Im guessing u didnt record songs multiple times and then refined them until they were perfect? If so, dont put up any old crap on a website, make sure that ur really happy with the song. Also, dont make a lead out of random notes, it just doesnt work.

Practise, and ull get better. Come back when ur a little more refined

What do you mean by lead? People keep saying random notes, what song are you guys talking about? The Eraser? We were finding a groove for that one, it was improvised. I really did record until I got my desired results for my solo stuff...so I don't know whether to be offended or humored. Humored works for me...

I don't need singing lessons...I don't like taking lessons for anything. I pretty much just go with the flow, I'll definitely try to sing better. But that's a nature thing, I wasn't blessed with a really nice voice or anything. I would never make a song that I didn't like. That's for sure.
Quote by authoritarian
By the way, listen to some Red Hot Chili Peppers!

They have one or two good songs, I don't really like their stuff, I like Led Zeppelin a whole lot though... They're really good. I just started trying to play Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, I am progressing satisfactorily. I just need to get the notes to ring louder or use a pick (which I don't like using much) and If I go with using a pick, I'll have to get learn to be more percise with it, it's just not as natural as using your fingers. Right?
If you want to biuld speed up then your going to have to use a pick for altenate picking. But keep practising now and then with fingers - you'll need them for some songs.

The RHCP thing was really 'cos you didn't seem to know who their guitarist was (John Frusciante), a fact which is essential regardless of wheter you like them or not!
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Now i bet people are gonna stick "i remember when comeback road diead" in their sigs
Quote by nine01n

Wow. Hard words. I don't think you have any room to talk though either, considering I just listened to your band.

If you are gonna talk complete ass about someone's music, please, don't play make crap music yourself, because that's just flat out hypocracy.

Anyway, to the thread starter. I liked the guitar work, needs work nonetheless, but it can go somewhere. A vocal trainer or something is necessary though if you want to sing. Remember that a singer can make or break a band.
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
Quote by SilverStratocas
Wow. Hard words. I don't think you have any room to talk though either, considering I just listened to your band.

If you are gonna talk complete ass about someone's music, please, don't play make crap music yourself, because that's just flat out hypocracy.

Anyway, to the thread starter. I liked the guitar work, needs work nonetheless, but it can go somewhere. A vocal trainer or something is necessary though if you want to sing. Remember that a singer can make or break a band.

Don't worry about that first guy, he checked out my purevolume page and listened to the first two songs, which I admit are hard on the ears. I'm not really in a band though, I want to be...I mean, I think I do. Of course I need work, I have only been playing for a year...it's gonna be at least 100 more years before I can really say anything great about it. Thanks for the fedback...I mean, I used my guitar tuner to see if I can sing in tune and I did my lowest as a C# and I went up the scale fairly accurately...I think it's the timbre voice that sucks...either way, I'll work on it.
Wow. Just clicked the purevolume... Now I know where that guy came from...

Sorry to that dude, I thought he went to your myspace.

My comments still stand towards your myspace link, thread starter.

>_>
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
Quote by SilverStratocas
Wow. Just clicked the purevolume... Now I know where that guy came from...

Sorry to that dude, I thought he went to your myspace.

My comments still stand towards your myspace link, thread starter.

>_>

But, the second song wasn't bad...I can understand the first one being bad if you're not ready for it, but it's cool sounding. The other 3 are normal songs...
Oh yeah, I haven't been thanking you guys for feedback, so thanks! It is really great that so many of you responded...GREAT!
i had on headphones.... my volume was turned ALL THE WAY UP.... i clicked on ur pure volume link.... and played the first song..... and now, im going to find you, and kick the living **** out of you.... i cannot f***ing hear now.... ahhhhh! it hurt so freaking bad.... why? why the hell did you have to do that... JESUS CHRIST... my ears!!!! they ring and ring ring and ring, i cannot go to sleep.... all i hear is ringing.... and it still hurts... and im going to quit rambling but i was way too scared to listen to ur other songs after that one sry dude, im still going to have to kick ur ass tho....
Trivium, Shadows Fall, Metallica, All That Remains, As I Lay Dying

My Gear -
Fernandes Montery X, Fender Standard Fat Strat, Crate GT212 120watt amp, Dunlop Heil Talkbox, Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Pedal, Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer Pedal
Quote by Driven:Weak_015
i had on headphones.... my volume was turned ALL THE WAY UP.... i clicked on ur pure volume link.... and played the first song..... and now, im going to find you, and kick the living **** out of you.... i cannot f***ing hear now.... ahhhhh! it hurt so freaking bad.... why? why the hell did you have to do that... JESUS CHRIST... my ears!!!! they ring and ring ring and ring, i cannot go to sleep.... all i hear is ringing.... and it still hurts... and im going to quit rambling but i was way too scared to listen to ur other songs after that one sry dude, im still going to have to kick ur ass tho....

HAHA...did you miss the huge bold and underlinded warning? You can't blame me for that... Maybe the first few, but I added a warning. Sorry for the trouble...I hope you don't kick my ass. That not nice...

Quote by bemerboy
YOU SUCK!!!!

yeah to put it lightly i don't like your voice but i'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and say that it was the recording becasue it didn't sound like a good quality

Thanks for your honest opinion...I'm not a good vocalist. I know it! Is my voice the only thing you don't like?
Hey did you write all these songs yourself? The lyrics are pretty nice on the songs after the sumo one, but whats more are the melodies. They're dynamic I would say, keep your ears trying to catch up. Yeah, like they were sayin, your vocals are kinda ****e. I dunno if your tryin to do some grungy thing when you sing, but thats what it sounds like to me. You need to put some more volume in your voice. I just bought this book called Set Your Voice Free. It comes with a cd of exercises and its helped me. Sumo Fat kind of reminded me of "Too Much of Nothing" on Dylan's Basement Tapes. How long have you been writing music anyway?
Quote by Zwiebel
Hey did you write all these songs yourself? The lyrics are pretty nice on the songs after the sumo one, but whats more are the melodies. They're dynamic I would say, keep your ears trying to catch up. Yeah, like they were sayin, your vocals are kinda ****e. I dunno if your tryin to do some grungy thing when you sing, but thats what it sounds like to me. You need to put some more volume in your voice. I just bought this book called Set Your Voice Free. It comes with a cd of exercises and its helped me. Sumo Fat kind of reminded me of "Too Much of Nothing" on Dylan's Basement Tapes. How long have you been writing music anyway?

Thanks for the input on lyrics, that's more of a focus than my voice...I mean at least I have more conscious control over it, you know? I am really happy and glad that you noticed them, it shows that you really listened, I don't even do that all the time. The Sumo one was an improv song I did with my friend, just like on my purevolume, The Eraser. I think they came out ok, the lyrics are hard to hear but the music came out nice I think. I do tend to make melodies that aren't constant, most of my new songs don't follow a specific pattern and neither does the guitar. It changes completely in some of my new stuff...from kinda delta bluesy to something similar to a classical musician like Mozart (of course not Mozart, but it has a faint resemblance to a classical song I once heard, I think it was Mozart...). As for my voice, I just don't have a really nice one, I mean it was ok on emergence, but softer songs are easier to do. I think it's not grungy, but it sounds better now than when I first started. I never heard Bob Dylan's basement tapes...I do love his The Times They Are A-Changin album...that one alone is beautiful and incredible. Every track is a masterpiece...I like most of Highway 61 and then just miscelaneous tracks. He went downhill after a while...no offense to any hard core fans. I have been playing guitar for a little over a year, I started playing guitar seriously on September 6th of last year. And I hadn't written lyrics until maybe February or March...at least nothing that I used. Mainly because, I couldn't sing and play guitar simultaneously until about February. It took a good 3 weeks of playing, I played a LOT (and still do)! Thanks for the comments man, those really made my day, good thing too because it just became Monday, so I am gonna ride this wave for 24 hours!

Oh and one more thing, concerning the melodies... I never could think of a good melody to a song, and whenever I did I forgot it because I was either away from a guitar (at work or school) or unable to record. It was really really frustrating me, becase I couldn't do anything for a while. So I figured out the trick to it, you just play the music and sing anything that comes to your mind, and it just comes out naturally after a while...it's great, it just all comes together on it's own. It's really awesome, because I was trying so hard to do soemthing that came naturally. Sometimes the stuff you sing turns into good lyrics for a song too...the main idea in sharpE came that way and the entire emergence song was done in one go...that song came together in literally 5 minutes. And it's one of my best ones I think.

on emergance the vocals where alrite, sharpE vocals kinda sucked, i like ure guitaring, kinda simple though, hmmm, still pretty cool, i think ure voice is okay, and has potetial,

haha, i cannot sing at all, yet i did, infront of around 300 people, at least it was only one song, eh, i enjoyed it, i kinda got anoyed after mi leaad guitarests strign broke 20 seconds in, and yes, the string was the one string he needed for every chord and for the solo, :@ grrr, so yeah, i meen if u enjoy singing, do, and dont worry if people say u suck, coz u can get better,
PSN: Noverion
Quote by Christ012
Your music sucks, my friend.

Thanks for listening, at least we're friends.

And as for the other guy, I like my vocals in sharpE...I think it goes well with the song...anyway, I won't ramble this time. Or will I?

Thanks again. Good luck to you both.
Quote by I ARE 1031
But, the second song wasn't bad...I can understand the first one being bad if you're not ready for it, but it's cool sounding. The other 3 are normal songs...

Quote by I ARE 1031
They have one or two good songs, I don't really like their stuff, I like Led Zeppelin a whole lot though... They're really good. I just started trying to play Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, I am progressing satisfactorily. I just need to get the notes to ring louder or use a pick (which I don't like using much) and If I go with using a pick, I'll have to get learn to be more percise with it, it's just not as natural as using your fingers. Right?

Quote by I ARE 1031
What do you mean by lead? People keep saying random notes, what song are you guys talking about? The Eraser? We were finding a groove for that one, it was improvised. I really did record until I got my desired results for my solo stuff...so I don't know whether to be offended or humored. Humored works for me...

I don't need singing lessons...I don't like taking lessons for anything. I pretty much just go with the flow, I'll definitely try to sing better. But that's a nature thing, I wasn't blessed with a really nice voice or anything. I would never make a song that I didn't like. That's for sure.

Quote by I ARE 1031
The second one was an improv with my friend. It's not random at all.

Quote by I ARE 1031
And as for the other guy, I like my vocals in sharpE...I think it goes well with the song...

Dude, we all are trying to give you tips...I think you seriously need to get vocal lessons instead of telling us you don't care about your voice. And when we say listen to a band, we think they'll help you get better, and you should.

I think you are a decent songwriter, not the best, but decent. Improve your voice, and improve your guitar playing, and you could have a good start.
Quote by lespaul_rentals
Dude, we all are trying to give you tips...I think you seriously need to get vocal lessons instead of telling us you don't care about your voice. And when we say listen to a band, we think they'll help you get better, and you should.

I think you are a decent songwriter, not the best, but decent. Improve your voice, and improve your guitar playing, and you could have a good start.

I'm not really saying I don't care about my voice (it's just not my main focus, some people just can't sing too), but I don't like lessons, nor do I have money for them. To get money it means a job, job would take up almost all my spare time...along with college. The only person that told me to listen to a band, told me so that I would realize who Frusciante is...I know now. Thanks for the advice...I am just responding to people. Some ask questions, some make comments, and I answer them and thank them accordingly. So thank you.

are you going for a sort of ambeince sound, like in mars volta albums? if so good, just not my thing. (i only listeend to the first song and the first minute of the second)
Quote by chobbsy
are you going for a sort of ambeince sound, like in mars volta albums? if so good, just not my thing. (i only listeend to the first song and the first minute of the second)

I'm guessing you clicked on my purevolume...try my other songs (I'll take those down anyway, people have been complaining), those two aren't my solo songs. Not my usual stuff anyhow.
OK your myspace songs, ill crit as i go along.
Sumo fat champions like a sort of very slow blues... some of it sounds good, but other bits arent
Emergence The actually vocal melody isnt actually too bad, you just need to train your vocals a little, for this i recmend trying to sing along to songs usually sung by women, and to use falsetto more often. (that is when you give sort of a less ful sounding voice, but can go higher)
Sharpe Has sum annoying static at the start, but has a nice rythm to it. This time your vocals really do stand out as not that good. good use of rythm on your guitar.
Lone road. Nice little riff to start off, simple but catchy, your vocals arent as bad on this song. the melody isnt too bad either. Sounds a little like house of the rising sun. One of the better songs of the four but it gets a little boring.

Overal isn't too bad but needs a few frsh ideas rather than just strummed chords, try using saying a picked then strummed pattern in the same song, and to change more often and you will get far more interesting songs.
Phew... lol
Quote by chobbsy
OK your myspace songs, ill crit as i go along.
Sumo fat champions like a sort of very slow blues... some of it sounds good, but other bits arent
Emergence The actually vocal melody isnt actually too bad, you just need to train your vocals a little, for this i recmend trying to sing along to songs usually sung by women, and to use falsetto more often. (that is when you give sort of a less ful sounding voice, but can go higher)
Sharpe Has sum annoying static at the start, but has a nice rythm to it. This time your vocals really do stand out as not that good. good use of rythm on your guitar.
Lone road. Nice little riff to start off, simple but catchy, your vocals arent as bad on this song. the melody isnt too bad either. Sounds a little like house of the rising sun. One of the better songs of the four but it gets a little boring.

Overal isn't too bad but needs a few frsh ideas rather than just strummed chords, try using saying a picked then strummed pattern in the same song, and to change more often and you will get far more interesting songs.
Phew... lol

Thank you much, I'll definitely take that advice and try to apply it.

Yea dude not bad. The vocals need a little work and that will come with practice. But yeah you might actually like John Frusciante's solo stuff. Check out the album Curtains.
Quote by FruscianteFnatC
Yea dude not bad. The vocals need a little work and that will come with practice. But yeah you might actually like John Frusciante's solo stuff. Check out the album Curtains.

I actually typed in his name on myspace, and I heard his solo acoustic stuff...it's quite good. Just a little too self indulgent...maybe it's just for the band pics (I'd rather not make quick judgements). Thanks for the advice.

Quote by chilibassist
nah dude, you aren't terrible. just brush up on your vocals. you almost sound like a young john frusciante. the second song was pretty good i might add.

This is an insult to John Frusciante.
Quote by I ARE 1031

you may have been blessed with the most amazing voice in the world! the fact is that lessons teach you how to control it - it's probably more earing training than voice training. Also don't knock lessons ... do you know any theory ... like the major / minor scale? that kinda stuff always helps.
Marty
Page 1 of 2