Hi thought there may b some interest out there in GGG's

I have 2 from pro buildere 2 start with

Quote by dave293
To be fair some old pallets are made of nice hardwood. But it shows there are plenty of alternative materials a guitar can be made of. I'm pretty sure bob bendetto did something similar as well.

EDIT: found it!

Knotty Pine Guitar 01-01-1993
Guitar serial #29293, made from inferior tonewoods (deliberately!) Two-piece top carved from flatsawn construction grade 2" X 10" pine. Back carved from two-piece flatsawn unmatched maple, riddled with small knots, weather checking and discoloration. Despite the obvious, this guitar plays and sounds as good as one made from expensive tonewoods...Scott Chinery agreed; he purchased it!

So there is a atart N E 1 else got any pics/stories of a similar nature (true not true up 2 u) I think builds that r in progress with sub grade stocks of any type b it tuners off something else etc Im sure my build qualifies
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I have a custom made all pine guitar. I have no pics though. It sounds okay, not the best and has no volume whatsoever. I have a legally psycho cousin who had this made for him and I "inherited" it when he went off the real deep end.
the lesser known of the 4
Thanks 5thhorseman

love 2 c a pic
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I might make a steinberger-style bass out of this random peice of wood im my garage, if i can ever be arsed to get round to it. I don't know what the hell it is, prolly construction grade oak or maple.
eddiehimself any chance of a pic, u'd b surprised how something as simple as taking a pic of the piece of timber can fire the amagination & AWAY U GO

thesumoftwo my thoughts exactly every build should reflect something whether it be a reflection of the builder or built as an extension of some classical genius's arm , i think it should tell a story. My build started with days of sorting , cutting to get just the bit i wanted with all the knots & blemishes in a spot i reckon works for my particular story
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Sep 18, 2006,
here is probably the best known (unknown guitar) "The Log" affectionatly called by Les Paul this IS the 'Les Paul' the guitars that carry his name actually had very little 2 do with him, just used his name as he was a big recording name, but this is the guitar that Gibson decided 2 semi emulate (solid carved) in an effort 2 get more timber into the guitar = more sustain. Check out the SOLID hunk of timber he has the pups mounted on WOOOOwweee

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Sep 20, 2006,
Actually, that's Les Paul's original solidbody guitar.

The wings don't do anything.

In retrospect, it resembles a 335, but that's after the fact.

Anyway, Les Paul built The Log to show that a solidbody guitar could be used for jazz.

The wings were an asthetic extra he added. They're the wings of an Epiphone, cut off and stuck on.

And don't discount the Les Paul connection. There's a reason they still have his name, and he still plays one. He's pulled his name from it once, he could do it again if he wanted to.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Wouldnt have n e thing 2 do with royalties "WOULD IT" ?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
When Gibson first introduced the SG, it was a redesign of the Les Paul, and they issued it under the Les Paul name. Les Paul revoked his endorsement of the product, and they re-labelled it as the SG, then put the Les Paul back into production.

He did it once. He could do it again if he wanted to.

But then again, he's in his 80s, still performs, and still uses a Les Paul. You can't buy that kind of brand loyalty.

yea, and he isnt like that, hes a really wholesome person from what i hear...and he was doing two handed tapping like van halen before eddie was even born, yet he doesnt brag about it at all
i had a bunch of spare POS parts around once, and built a steinberger-ish body out of a hunk of pine... it wasn't completely awful. Sounded about the same as the guitar the parts came out of... which doesn't say a whole lot... cause it was a cheap strat knockoff...

and worse tonewood you have never seen... it had knots, splits, and it was treated wood...
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
He also invented multi-track recording.

StaggHound U were saying about Les Paul revoking his name from future made guitars. O.K. i agree with u he could, & i agree he may b the cleanest living most wholesome guy on the planet as was said also (not by u), this all may b true. He may have had Elvis's baby 2 (were u there 2 prove he didnt) my point being u can only believe what u read. Dont get me wrong I think Les Paul was a gr8 pioneer in guitars & the music industry in general. But u r tending 2 put him in the god catagory if u dont mind me saying. He is just some guy who had some gr8 ideas. He impacted on his chosen area of expertiese, & now he is sitting back collecting royalties, enjoying his well deserved rewards 4 a exceptional career.
But if u r gullable enough 2 believe that he is going 2 risk his royalties at his age by revoking his name U HAVE GOT 2 B JOKING. Besides at this stage with guitar development where it is . It might be sad if he revoked his name , but it would make ZERO difference 2 N E new guitars produced in the future would it < Honestly.

Im not trying 2 b negative just REAL if u r honest & objective U just might agree

U R almost correct saying Les Paul "invented" multi track recording but not quite. He IS credited with inventing it. But he was not the first 2 use it & therefore by definition he cant have "invented " it , he WAS the guy who pioneered it the most but in America that seems 2 allways mean the same thing. Not trying 2 take the piss out of Americans just seems 2 b a common occurance, boy they even think they invented the rotary engine rotary clothesline & the lawn mower, the light globe,radio the list of American inventions that some1 else beat them 2 the invention but the power of the American press has their bloke inventing things in advance IF U DONT BELIEVE ME THEN CHECK.

Here is 1 source of proof r.e. the Les Paul "inventing" multi track Hmmmmm
The 1st line say all that im interested in. i.e. he's credited with but did not invent multi track recording Sorry man
History
There were earlier precedents (such as TEARZ's 1941 song, "Sheik of Araby"), but the person credited with the invention of magnetic audio tape multitracking was guitarist, composer and inventor Les Paul, who also contributed to the famous Gibson Les Paul model electric guitar for Gibson Guitar Corporation in the early 1950s.

Paul had been experimenting with overdubbing in the late 1940s and in 1947, Capitol Records released a record featuring Paul playing eight different parts on electric guitar. These recordings were made with wax disks; Paul would record a track onto a disk, then record himself playing another part with the first.

Paul's invention of multitrack recording was made possible by a gift from his friend Bing Crosby -- an Ampex Model 200, the world's first commercially-produced reel-to-reel tape recorder. These machines were based on modified German Magnetophon recorders which had been acquired by audio engineer Jack Mullin while he was serving in the U.S. Army Signal Corps in the closing days of World War II. Mullin had studied and modified the recorders, hoping to sell the system to the Hollywood movie studios as a new means of recording movie soundtracks.

After hearing a demonstration of Mullin's tape recorders in June 1947, Crosby became a major backer of the new technology ? he hired Mullin as his chief engineer and immediately invested US$50,000 in the electronics firm Ampex so that the company could develop a commercial version of Mullin's machines. Crosby became the first performer in the world to pre-record radio broadcasts and master his commercial music recordings on tape.

In 1948 Crosby gave Paul one of the first production units of the new Ampex Model 200 reel-to-reel tape recorder. Within hours, Paul had the idea of modifying the machine by the addition of extra recording and playback heads which could allow him to simultaneously record a new track whilst monitoring the playback of previously recorded tracks.

Paul's multitrack experiments progressed rapidly and in 1953 he commissioned Ampex to build the world's first eight-track tape recorder, at his own expense. (This is not to be confused with an 8-track cartridge machine, an offshoot of the four-track recorder, introduced in 1965, which played in stereo.)

Ampex released the first commercial multitrack recorders in 1955, naming the process "Sel-Sync" (Selective Synchronous Recording). Coinciding the advent of full frequency range recording (FFRR), stereo and the high-fidelity microgroove vinyl LP format, multitrack recorders soon became indispensable to vocalists like Crosby and Nat "King" Cole.

The earliest multitrack recorders were analog magnetic tape machines with two or three tracks. Elvis Presley was first recorded on multitrack during 1957, as RCA's engineers were testing their new machines. Buddy Holly's last studio session in 1958 employed three-track, resulting in his only stereo releases not to include overdubs. The new three-track system allowed the lead vocal to be recorded on a dedicated track, while the remaining two tracks could be used to record the backing tracks in full stereo, and this system was also used extensively by producer Phil Spector in the early Sixties for his famous "Wall of Sound" recordings.

In 1958, Atlantic Records led the world, becoming the first record company to install an eight-track recorder in its recording studio, installed by engineer Tom Dowd. However, recorders with four or more tracks were restricted mainly to American recording studios until the mid-to-late Sixties, mainly due to import restrictions and the high cost of the technology. In England, pioneering independent producer Joe Meek produced all of his innovative early Sixties recordings using monophonic recorders. EMI house producer George Martin was considered an innovator for his use of two-track as a means to making better mono records, carefully balancing vocals and instruments; Abbey Road Studios did not install a four-track recorder until around 1963, and all The Beatles recordings prior to their first world hit single I Want To Hold Your Hand (1963) were made on two-track machines.

Other western countries also lagged well behind the USA -- in Australia, the largest local recording label, Festival Records did not install a four-track recorder until late 1966; the first eight track recorders did not appear there until the late Sixties; Australia's first sixteen track recorder was installed at Armstrong's Studios in Melbourne in 1971; Festival installed Australia's first 24-track recorder at its Sydney studio in 1974.

The artistic potential of the multitrack recorder came to the attention of the public in the 1960s, when artists such as The Beatles and The Beach Boys began to multitrack extensively, and from then on virtually all popular music was recorded in this manner. The technology developed very rapidly during these years. At the start of their careers, the Beatles and Beach Boys each recorded live to mono, two-track (the Beatles), or three-track (the Beach Boys); by 1965 they used multitracking to create pop music of unprecendented complexity

The Beach Boys' acclaimed 1966 LP Pet Sounds relied on multitrack recorders for its innovative production. Wilson pretaped all the instrumental backing tracks with a large ensemble, recording the performances live, direct to a four-track recorder. These four-track backing tapes were then 'dubbed down' to one track of an eight-track tape. Six of the remaining seven tracks were then used to individually record the vocals of each member of The Beach Boys, and the eighth track was reserved for any final 'sweetening' overdubs of instruments or voices.

The Beatles did not gain access to eight-track recorders until some time later, so their groundbreaking Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band LP was created using pairs of four-track machines; the group also used vari-speed (also called pitch shift) to achieve unique sounds, and they were the first group in the world to use an important offshoot of multitrack recording, the Automatic Double Tracking (ADT) system invented by Abbey Road staff engineer Kem Townshend in 1966. The Beatles used eight-track to record portions of Magical Mystery Tour, the "White Album", and later Abbey Road.

Here is the link i cut & pasted from (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitrack_recording)
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Sep 22, 2006,
I'm saying, while he may have had only cosmetic input over the original Les Paul production run, Les Paul himself still uses the guitars when he frequently plays in public. He was also the one who brought the idea of a solid-body guitar to Gibson.
And he revoked Gibson's use of his name before, because he did not like the product.

I don't think any of us needed to ignore that entire section of C/P from Wikipedia.

And most of all, I don't see why you think that Les Paul only lets Gibson use his name now because of the royalties.

O.K. man i'll agree with ya on whatever u say . Does that improve your disposition 1 iota!
I amend my previous statements Yes Les Paul Is indeed GOD & if He pulled his name from any or all the products that r branded with his monica , the total guitar industry would collapse. So do u feel vindicated now, can we drop Les Paul & get on with the original pourpose of this thred I.E. ggg's

Hey but dont feel im any way put off go 4 your life.

Here is some more on the pallet guitar story that Dave293 linked me 2

Sorry but i had 2 cut & paste this so i could host the pic

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
You arrogant little cocksucker.

Arrogant maybe little NEVER as far as cocksucking WELL "what r u willing 2 offer" flea
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Hey guys it is my fault Im not tryin 2 get any1 offside but when some1 (i wont say dickhead i dont wish 2 be inciteful , but hey it is what i think) comes in MY thred & tells me im full of S.H.I.T. that isnt a problem, im always open 2 anything & if im full of crap then i deserve anything that ppl throw. However i prove in black & white that im right & he comes back with some other Les Paul crap. Not that i c that as a prob either but when the attack is a personal 1 WTF im gonna fire-up same as N E 1 else.

4 the record I think Les Paul is a LEGEND in the guitar world & recording world, as well. His contribution 2 his art is immence. & his part in the American ? world music is assured.

& 4 GOD sake if ya have n e more Les Paul beefs please go & start ya own thred, or better still go 2 the "I have a Les Paul & i hate it" thred & bore the S.H.I.T. out of them with all ya petty childish behaviour

NOW CAN WE JUST GET BACK TA GGG's

Hey guys if ya put in half the effort lookin 4 some ggg's this thred would have 20 pages

Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Sep 24, 2006,
right everyone, deep breaths, calm down, it's an internet forum, not a soap opera

this thread is interesting, any chance we can get soundclips of GGG's?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by Dix_Fix

NOW CAN WE JUST GET BACK TA GGG's

Hey guys if ya put in half the effort lookin 4 some ggg's this thred would have 20 pages

thats awesome....but yea heres some info i found on ggg

http://www.kokomomusic.com/pages/guitars/roy_rogers_50s.html
aperently they were big in the 50s....
and they can be made out of a simple box, sometimes a cigar box but not always

these are electric guitars even so i guess the ggg phenominon isnt limited to just acoustic guitars, i also ran across a few cardboard harps and other misc cardboard instraments but they werent too relevent to this thread...
Seek & destroy thats a gr8 idea r.e. the sound clips. N E 1 have n e ideas ?

se3mpri_fi i luv those cigar box guitars (only 3 string eh?) , also i dont have n e probs with other type of instruments actually i have some neat banjo pics but u first lol
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!