Hey! How are you?

Directly to the question, I was told that the "magic" of scales is that a scale itself, when well played, can transmit a feeling... like, a friend (the one i learned almost everything ) told me that the Pentatonic Scale is a "Happy" scale.

Is there any scale that would be good to transmit a "sad" feeling? I don't think i have the talent to play a sad song by ear... and until today i only used the Major scale =X i mean, no #'s
Anything would be useful. Any good start point.

p.s.: i have seen the scales tutorial from this forum, but it doesn't answer this specific question

Thanks for your time

Regards
angelofwisdom
Before flaming me, think about this first:
First guitar: 2005 (acoustic Fender DG5)
Next guitar: whenever I can afford it. Will be an electric, though.
Number of teachers: None.
I AM LEARNING BY MYSELF! GIVE ME SOME CREDIT FOR THAT!!!!!!
Major scales usually sounds happy, and minor scales usually sound darker and sad.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
I read over the net that minor scales COULD make "happy" songs if not well used. Is there any other scale? Or should I start learning the minor? (learning is not my problem. Choosing is )

Scorpions STILL LOVING YOU intro chords are Gm, A and D. It's a sad, romantic song. It's something like this I'd like to do yes, i know, too much for me; but hell I'll try anyway

Thanks for the tip
G minor with a diminished 5th =

e|----------------------------------------------------------------3--6---|
B|-----------------------------------------------------3--6--------------|
G|-------------------------------------3--5--6---------------------------|
D|--------------------------3--5-----------------------------------------|
A|----------3--4--5------------------------------------------------------|
E|-3--6------------------------------------------------------------------|

thats kind of "bluesie" if you ask me... blues are sad...

you could also move that up or down the fret board, jsut using a different root note... seems like it could work...
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
minor scale (root C):

e||-------------------------------------1-3-4-||
B||-------------------------------1-3-4-------||
G||---------------------------1-3--------------||
D||---------------------1-3-5-----------------||
A||---------------1-3-5-----------------------||
E||---------1-3-4-----------------------------||

Using GUITAR PRO helps quite a lot
Memorize this? Yes/No :P
I think you should take 15 seconds and play the minor scale once and see if you think its sad enough. You can get pretty much any feeling from any scale, its all in how you use it. The minor is just easier to get a sad sound out of. Hope that helped.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by NotOneWithNames

e|----------------------------------------------------------------3--6---|
B|-----------------------------------------------------3--6--------------|
G|-------------------------------------3--5--6---------------------------|
D|--------------------------3--5-----------------------------------------|
A|----------3--4--5------------------------------------------------------|
E|-3--6------------------------------------------------------------------|

thats kind of "bluesie" if you ask me... blues are sad...

The blues scale is bluesy? What a shocker!

You can make any scale sound like anything if you try hard enough, but generally just stick to what certain scales are said to be used for, if you are new to soloing/improving. Like iain said, major = happy, minor = sad.
G'day. Im very well, thankyou!

Aeolian.

If you know the major scale shape over a couple of octaves, just play the same notes but starting on the 6th. For example take your Cmaj scale but start and finish on A. If you keep coming back to A (1) and C (b3) and F(b6) and G(b7) and don't overuse D (4) and E (5), It should sound sad.

Well, that probably confused the hell out of you so I suggest you read 'Learning Music Theory: The Beginning" by slash_pwns and "What chords are in what Key" by SilentDeftone. These two articles are my creed, learn them backwards.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I would try to avoid relying on patterns. They only limit you and you will be thinking of a pattern of notes rather than a vocabulary of notes.

And to get a sad sound out of a minor scale, you have to emphasize (sort of) the intervals of the scale that make it sound sad.
Kirby's right, especially the last part. For a sadder sound you could focus on the minor third and minor 6th in the scale.
^Well, minor third, minor sixth and more importantly minor seventh.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
it i think he saddest sounding swcale ive heard is D Minor, try working with that, but dont get stuck in a pattern or youll find yourself sounding really repitive and dull.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
As posted above, it might well be worth looking at the aeolian mode.

So as to avoid confusion, another name for the aeolian mode is the natural minor scale.

Im fairly sure there are tabs of this in the lessons section, if not - just say and im sure someone will be online and willing to tab it out for you.
C
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it i think he saddest sounding swcale ive heard is D Minor, try working with that, but dont get stuck in a pattern or youll find yourself sounding really repitive and dull.

I can't decide if you're quoting Spinal Tap or not
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
I can't decide if you're quoting Spinal Tap or not

Isn't the Spinal Tap one Db minor?

To the threadstarter-kirby is right on the money. You need to emphasize the intervals in the scale that make it sound sad.

Most of the time, though, it's the chord progression that makes a song sound sad, not necessarily the scales used.
(even more n00b) I've got to learn what a chord progression is.
So, Aeolian mode and (D) Minor scale. Anything else?

Thanks for your replies
WTF is Spinal Tap? =\ man i'm really a noob...
Throw in the scales with the raised 4th (Locrian, Lydian) for some evil tritone ****.
A chord progression is usually playing one chord, strumming it a bit, switch to a different chord, strumming that a bit, etc. etc., usually in a repeating 4 or so chord pattern with some variations every few times.

A minor sixth up or a major third down both sound good if done slowly. Like Cm to Ab or something. And a progression that goes root, major second, major/minor third is pretty good.
Quote by angelofwisdom
minor scale (root C):

e||-------------------------------------1-3-4-||
B||-------------------------------1-3-4-------||
G||---------------------------1-3--------------||
D||---------------------1-3-5-----------------||
A||---------------1-3-5-----------------------||
E||---------1-3-4-----------------------------||

Using GUITAR PRO helps quite a lot
Memorize this? Yes/No :P

Don't listen to this kid. This is incorrect, assuming he means the natural minor scale
Quote by Jaffaps2
Throw in the scales with the raised 4th (Locrian, Lydian) for some evil tritone ****.

Lydian... Evil?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
i think that there is this vast misconception that if you play a certain scale over another than your music will sound more "sad" or "dark"...well, try playing a C Ionian scale up and down...now try C Locrian; do you hear a difference: probably not

it's not the scale you're using, it's how you use it...you also have to utilize a chord progression that would fit the usage of this particular group of notes...you probably can't expect to use the Locrian mode over a I, IV, V chord progression and make it sound decent...it's just not practical, you need to learn which notes to stress, how to do so, etc...and the only way to do this is to practice playing over backing tracks...get a feel for what sounds good, dissonant, sad, whatever

and for the record, i'm highly against the memorization of scale patterns...these patterns are best used for practicing technique...overall, music is a hearing art, and playing a scale up and down isn't going to sound very pleasing (most of the time) - learn to see scales and such as a particular group of notes, in intervals, and in degrees
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by paul87
Don't listen to this kid. This is incorrect, assuming he means the natural minor scale

Thanks for being so nice -.- I said I used Guitar Pro.
It said that the minor scale is Whole-Half-Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-root (C-D-D#-F-G-G#-A#-C). The name is "C Minor Scale". If that's not correct, it's not my fault, as I know almost nothing about scales.
If there are only the Minor scale, the Melodic Minor, the Harmonic Minor, I think the Minor is the Natural Minor, but I MIGHT BE WRONG (you can read this, right?)

The fact is, I know almost nothing about music theory, and what I know is those really basic basis; the ones a kid (as you called me) knows. I can't afford a teacher; and I can't even afford a good guitar. Right now I'm learning with what I have, the way I can. People here have helped me a lot right now. So, if what I said is incorrect, why didn't you correct me, instead of just saying "Don't listen to this kid"?

edit @ axe_grinder247: Where can I learn about scales, chord progressions, intervals and degrees?
Mine was the Harmonic? =|
Quote by angelofwisdom
Thanks for being so nice -.- I said I used Guitar Pro.
It said that the minor scale is Whole-Half-Whole-Whole-Half-Whole-root (C-D-D#-F-G-G#-A#-C). The name is "C Minor Scale". If that's not correct, it's not my fault, as I know almost nothing about scales.
If there are only the Minor scale, the Melodic Minor, the Harmonic Minor, I think the Minor is the Natural Minor, but I MIGHT BE WRONG (you can read this, right?)

i think you should write that particular scale as C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb...that way it's diatonically correct, so to speak

edit @ axe_grinder247: Where can I learn about scales, chord progressions, intervals and degrees?

This thread is very helpful for soloing and such...also covers some of that theory as well

This thread is the most descriptive explanation of modes and usage that i've ever seen, may be a bit too advanced though, try the modes lessons by Logz

Here's a good column on recognizing intervals

degrees should be in one of those lessons somewhere
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Either the harmonic or melodic minor (I forget which is which between the 2, I don't use them much), has a really sad flamenco-y/ middle easterny sound to it.