That's basically what I'm looking for. I love instrumental music, but it's mostly just too danged repetitive. I also love layers layers layers. A whole lot going on at once is most excellent. So far, I've found:

Mercury Radio Theater
(Seriously, check this band out. They freaking rock.)
Black Mooge
(Pretty repetitive lead, but lots of stuff going on around it. Also the beats are prodigious and rather dark.)
Liquid Tension Experiment
(Excellent musicianship, unappealing aesthetic. Acid Rain was excellent, they really shine here and there, but overall not for me.)

Noise = good. Experimentation = good.

Electronic bands are okay too. Just to give you a bit of an idea for suggestions, here's some music that I'm into.
The Blood Brothers
The Fall of Troy
Gang of Four
J. Ralph
mewithoutYou
Million Dead
Mr. Bungle
Patrick Wolf
Rx Bandits
VCR

Quite the variety, I like. Unless you count that most of that is all rhythmic, experimental, eclectic, dark, spastic, and/or activist.
Maybe Danny Elfman?

I dunno, all I've really heard is the Beetlejuice theme song.

But DAMN that song rocks
i dont really like this band but there ok live and they sorata match what your looking for...The Mars Volta. Lots goin on at once.
Quote by yawn
Maybe Danny Elfman?

I dunno, all I've really heard is the Beetlejuice theme song.

But DAMN that song rocks
didn't he make the simpsons theme?

do you mean bands that are all instrumental, or would you like just instrumentals?

and I should check out Liquid Tension Experiment...
^ Yeah, Simspons, Batman, Night Before Christmas, Sleepy Hollow, Pee Wee, and a lot more.

I'd get some of his music to listen to for myself, but I've got dial-up at the moment
Not actually instrumental, but Kyuss does a lot of instrumental songs. Dont know if its your style though.
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Hell of a lot going on at once.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Sleep Terror.

Unfortunately, they just added a vocalist I liked them better before.
http://myspace.com/sleepterror
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Most of Jeff Beck's stuff is instrumental.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Joe satriani
steve vai
yngwie malmsteen
jeff beck
john petrucci
nuno bettencourt
allan holdsworth
shawn lane
Explosions In The Sky. no one seems to have heard of them, but theyre awesome, beautiful
Who dat?
Quote by trey-col89
Listen to Frank Zappa.

More specifically Jazz From Hell as most of Zappa's work contains lyrics. Interestingly, Jazz From Hell is the only instrumental album to ever require a "warning" for its content.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by ufossuck
More specifically Jazz From Hell as most of Zappa's work contains lyrics. Interestingly, Jazz From Hell is the only instrumental album to ever require a "warning" for its content.

How the hell can they justify putting a warning on an instrumental album?
Quote by 94 hours

Quote by dumps
i dont really know what is good so maybe you guys could give me some suggestions of a good practice amp with some a effects between 70 and 100pound. cheers

your buying an amp based on weight??
Quote by TheFlammableCow
How the hell can they justify putting a warning on an instrumental album?

Supposedly because of the song "G-Spot Tornado," but more realistically because Zappa had caused them a lot of trouble and they didn't like him.
no Ratatat? i'd be quite surprised if you hadn't heard of them.

Caribou might be good, you might possibly find him repetitive...i can't think of their songs in my head, other than the fact that i remember they were pretty good. in some song's there's lyrics, but a lot of tracks don't seem to have them either. Manitoba was his first band name...technically the same guy, but the difference in music is discernable.

try M83 as stated above. also Saxon Shore. Mogwai doesn't tends to be instrumental. Broken Spindles is definitely worth a shot as well.

i'll agree Anarion614 on Explosions in the Sky.

and threadstarter, props to you for liking Gang of Four.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com