Im lefthanded, started out on a righthanded guitar. I've read articles about picking motion, and they seem to connect picking with writing, totally out of context for my question though. Just wondering whether somehow improvement would be slower if a lefty were to use a right handed guitar?
Im a lefty, I play a right-handed guitar because thats how I first went to hold one. If it feels too akward you should probably play a lefty.

A molly-duker playing a right-handed guitar I think makes more sense - you are using your most coordinated hand to do the more intricate action.

I dont think my improvement has been inhibited in any way (apart from bad practising) and I am comftorble with my skill level for the length of time Ive been playing.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I don't think you'll learn slower, just differently. Try playing lefty, if it's more comfortable, stick with lefty.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
have you switched the strings around or just left them?
"An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind"- Mahatma Ghandi
I'm a lefty who plays a right handed guitar, and you shouldn't learn slower or anything cause like AEnimus Prime said "you are using your more coordinated hand for the more intricate action" which I think helps us lefty's with our fingering...but what being left handed and playing right handed could do, is make picking harder...I know personally, sweeps and pinch harmonics are harder for me, just because my picking hand isn't that good...but that could just be me
Quote by _KurtCobain_77
I'm a lefty who plays a right handed guitar, and you shouldn't learn slower or anything cause like AEnimus Prime said "you are using your more coordinated hand for the more intricate action" which I think helps us lefty's with our fingering...but what being left handed and playing right handed could do, is make picking harder...I know personally, sweeps and pinch harmonics are harder for me, just because my picking hand isn't that good...but that could just be me

I'm the same way. My dad taught me my first chords on a right-handed-style guitar, and I've just played that way since. It really doesn't inhibit anything, TBH.
yeah the problem is the picking hand. I've been playing for some years. Dont think i'll change now. Just wondering though.
Quote by Ænimus Prime

A molly-duker playing a right-handed guitar I think makes more sense - you are using your most coordinated hand to do the more intricate action.

That's like saying it makes sense for a right handed person to play a left handed guitar. It doesn't, and there is a reason it doesn't happen.

Ask any guitar teacher which left handed students learn faster, the one's who play left, or the ones who play right, because seriously any lefty playing right is going to tell you they don't feel like their progress is slower than it should be, but theres really no way for them to actually know.

That said, it's worth mentioning that in a lot of music you're actually doing all of the intricate stuff with your pick hand. Dynamics are usually a major problem, complicated stum patterns and rhythmic stuff, speed metal, sweeping, string skipping, fingerstyle and so forth.
I'm a lefthand, too, who has learnt on a rh-guitar. I sometimes think that it is a bit more difficult to learn for me than for others, but switching sides feels really awkward. So you have to try both and decide which one feels better for you.
I'm a lefty and I play right handed, and I learned guitar really fast. IT DOESN'T FREAKING MATTER! aND WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PLAY LEFT HANDED ANYWAY? iT LOOKS RETARDED. PLAYING LEFT HANDED JUST MAKES IT HARDER FOR PEOPLE TO TEACH YOU BECAUSE PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE PLAYS RIGHT HANDED. This is like saying that leftys are going to get better at driving if they made the gas pedal on the left foot's side.
my mates a lefty and hes never played a right handed guitar, he gets on fine and hes better than me so i would go for it, it might take a while to get used to but you then have more choice when it comes to buying guitars
So you guys playing a right hander lefty: are you saying the top (thin) strings are on the side of the neck that's towards the floor? or on the side of the neck that's closer to your head?

If the latter, well.... I'm a right hander, but... I knew a guy once that played like that. It really inhibited his playing. IMO. Think of the most basic thing you do when soloing, what gives the electric guitar the ability to really wail: bends and vibrato, using the area between the thumb and fingers to give you leverage when pushin those strings. Obviously you can't do that if the top strings are up towards your head.

Ignore the above if you're Albert King or have enough mojo to go develop your own unique style like he did.
What i meant was playing a righthanded guitar eventhough im left-handed. For the past few years of practicing, I seem to improve at a very slow rate. I've really read about picking motions etc and am constantly aware if i have my techniques wrong, but somehow it seems like other players around me are improving way faster than me. Not that i feel like its a race or something, but it seems like it takes forever to reach a pretty decent level of playing.
Quote by winkybear
What i meant was playing a righthanded guitar eventhough im left-handed. For the past few years of practicing, I seem to improve at a very slow rate. I've really read about picking motions etc and am constantly aware if i have my techniques wrong, but somehow it seems like other players around me are improving way faster than me. Not that i feel like its a race or something, but it seems like it takes forever to reach a pretty decent level of playing.

Practice, practice, practice. Learn your scales and modes, and practice them until they're smooth. Then, I promise you'll see your skills florish.
You'll. Be. Fine. I would say it slightly helps left hand technique, slightly inhibits right hand technique, and all balances out in the end. Play a normal guitar (like I do, I'm also a lefty), just because it'll make gear, lessons etc less complicated.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
I'm Lefty, and I learn on a lefty guitar, for me it was obvious that I would learn lefty before I started, if I would do air guitar, I would do it the lefty way, even before I started playing, that just felt natural to me.
If it doesn't feel awkwerd for you to play Righty (like it does to me) do so, you'll probably be better off when trying to buy a guitar (I went shopping for an electric guitar, and they cost more, and there's far less of them) and you'll always be able to play when there's a guitar around.
But, I must say, that playing lefty is in no way problematic in lessons, I just bring my guitar, my teacher brings his guitar and he teaches me everything like he would for anyone else, he just hates tuning my guitar... :P
Im left handed and play the standard right handed way, as it seemed more comfortable.

There's no real dis-advantage some of the greatest players have played the opposite way round to their hand position. To the best of my knowlage Jimi Hendrix wrote with his right hand but played left handed.
the main reason i would advise someone against playing left handed is because it is harder to find left handed instruments, and you can't just pick up your friends guitar and play it.

as far as the learning process goes , i don't think it makes any difference.
Quote by bandgeek10
I'm a lefty and I play right handed, and I learned guitar really fast. IT DOESN'T FREAKING MATTER! aND WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PLAY LEFT HANDED ANYWAY? iT LOOKS RETARDED. PLAYING LEFT HANDED JUST MAKES IT HARDER FOR PEOPLE TO TEACH YOU BECAUSE PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE PLAYS RIGHT HANDED. This is like saying that leftys are going to get better at driving if they made the gas pedal on the left foot's side.

More power to you if you play righthanded, but playing lefthanded doesn't look or feel retarded. As for making it harder to learn, well think about it - your "teacher" is righthanded and sitting (or standing) opposite you. All you have to do is look at his hands as if in a mirror - easy !

Quote by stringzzz

the main reason i would advise someone against playing left handed is because it is harder to find left handed instruments,

It may be harder to find lefthanded guitars, but most righthanded instruments can be converted quite easily (never stopped Jimi).

and you can't just pick up your friends guitar and play it.

and he can't play yours - bonus !!!
I'm a lefty and I play right. It just feels right (hurr) to me. *shrug*

However, a lefty player playing a righty guitar could be a major problem as far as fitting right into the neck goes. Especially on something that has an asymmetrical neck shape - it's formed for a right handed player, and a lefty on it would find it very odd.
no
I think, you know, just play the way you feel comfortable.

As for learning more slowly...

Well, the fingering might be easier, but the strum patterns and picking would be more difficult.

I'm generally an advocate of playing the way that works best for you. Don't feel you have to put an extra obstacle in your path because other people think you should.

If you're left handed and want to play lefty, then do so.
If you want to play righty, then do so.

But don't think you have to do anything one way or the other just because the forum is full of tards.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
I am left-handed and play guitar right-handedly

I do not believe in dogs being shaved, but I do believe that I would have learnt faster if I had started out on a left-handed guitar. I have been playing for some years now, and over time I've come to the conclusion that the gist to guitar playing is... on your picking hand. It seems common sense to get your best hand to do the most important job, and that is why guitars are made the way they are in the first place.

But you'll be fine anyway, and in the end, everybody's different and takes different time to make similar progress.
^ yeah my picking hand's really bad. Dont feel like it improved for the past year. I dont have a problem with fingering etc, just that when it comes to speed, its way harder compared to other people.