hey guys,
At the 10th fret 2nd string im getting this twang im not to sure if its fret buzz but i would have to have the action up to high for this to go away, (my neck is almost dead straight) i have this feeling that the 11th fret is un level
iv got it lowered now and i dont think its much of a problem unless you pluck it hard
doesn't really matter if it's "too high" i don't think. i had the same problem on my e string 10th fret. i just raised the action. and fiddled with the truss rod. goto projectguitar for info on that. it really isn't a bad thing.
Dont pluck it hard, thats acoustic buzz, try plugging your guitar into an amp and then pluck it normally.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Your guitar neck may be setup incorrenctly, I say this because you commented that your neck is completly straight. Its a myth that the neck of your guitar should be completly straight, there should actually be a very slight bow in the neck which is known as the "dip in neck".

As adjusting the action isnt clearing the buzz that would sugest to me that you may have an insuficient amount of dip in the neck.

To measure the dip in neck you need to put a capo on the 1st fret and then hold down the bass E (6th) string one fret above the body fret (the fret thats in line with the body of the guitar). You then need to measure the the distance between the bottom of the sting and the top of the fret furthest from it (using a set of feeler guages). This will typically be the 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th fret (you will need to measure all these points to workout which is the biggest distance), depending on the type of guitar and on the construction of the neck.

Ideally when measuring this way the maximum clearance between the fret with the most clearance and the bottom of the string should be about 1/64 in (0.4mm). If you do have less that 1/64 in (0.4mm) dip then you would need to have the truss rod adjusted to corret this. However I'm not going to recomend that you do this yourself, i would take it to a pro to have this setup properly.

You could adjust the truss rod yourself, but thats your choice and you have to remember that a bad truss rod adjustment can damage the guitar.
Last edited by Prk Marshall at Sep 16, 2006,