Page 1 of 4
Over the years I've witnessed what I concidered to be several "blunders" in Rock & Roll. Bands "selling out" or going new directions that ultimately lead to their downfall.
For example, the band REO Speedwagon. Thier most popular album "High Infedelity" actually cost them their fan base. Their Top 40 bubble gum effort made alot of money while at the same time destroyed their Rock & Roll credibility.
Same story w/the band Foreigner. A once rockin band that actually lost popularity w/top 40 soft rock hits such as "I want to know what love is".
Then there's what Micheal McDonald did to the Doobie Brothers and Peter Cetera did to Chicago. Virtually destroying these once very popular bands w/their bubble gum crap.
Do you agree w/my opinions? Any other examples?
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Sep 16, 2006,
Van Hagar *shudders*
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Here are some of my favorite rock and roll blunders. Some of you may not agree.

1. The formation of Velvet Revolver
2. The re-formation of Guns' 'N Roses
3. Metallica's "St. Anger"
4. The formation of Audioslave
5. Megadeth's "Risk" album
6. Metallica vs Napster
7. Michael Jackson touching little boys (not really rock, but whatever)
8. "The Osbournes"
9. Emo was allowed on the radio
10. Spandex pants
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
Squeeze by the Velvet Underground *shudders*

Doug Yule =/= VU
Originally posted by fuzzybunny
I hereby dub you the UG's new God of Love. Really. That was brilliant.

heh.
Originally posted by someone i can't remember
the one called lukef speaks the truth.
Well, I dont think Van Hagar is really a blunder, I mean they were just looking for a new direction, as they have had one for 6 years at that time, and needed a change, they werent as good, but I would hardly call there Hagar-era stuff bad...

Foriegner and Speedwagon I tottally agree, REO's early stuff is great and there LIVE: you get what you play for album is great, yet they were destroyed by power ballads. But there Golden Country style stuff is still awesome.
Quote by EL Conquestidor
Exactly what is "EMO"?

If this is a serious question...

It's a softer offshoot of hardcore, started in DC in the 80s by bands like Rites of Spring and Embrace. Some of the guys in DC like Ian Mackaye were unhappy with the hardcore scene and wanted to destroy or create an alternative scene that was less violent.

It has evolved, especially in the 90s, when the emo act Jimmy Eat World became more mainstream, but was still called emo. What is referred to now as "emo" music is different than the original stuff, it's more mainstream, etc.... I'm not an expert, just filling in what I know.

Blunders... hmm. I agree with the Chicago statement.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by breadfan82
Here are some of my favorite rock and roll blunders. Some of you may not agree.

1. The formation of Velvet Revolver
2. The re-formation of Guns' 'N Roses
3. Metallica's "St. Anger"
4. The formation of Audioslave
5. Megadeth's "Risk" album
6. Metallica vs Napster
7. Michael Jackson touching little boys (not really rock, but whatever)
8. "The Osbournes"
9. Emo was allowed on the radio
10. Spandex pants

Eight of those definitely aren't Classic Rock. The other two I suspect aren't either, but could be debated.
the rolling stones in the late 70s
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
Quote by ZoSoII_13
the rolling stones in the late 70s

how can you say that? the stones always followed trends from the beggining, but they adapted there own flavor to it, you cant just pick out one era and say that sold out, going by that logic they sold out throughout there carrer....
Not really an album, but John Lennon: "We're bigger than Jesus"
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Queen's "Hot Space". Not only their worst album but cost them their popularity in America. They never recovered from it, commercially.
Schecter Custom 4
Gibson SG Special Faded
Fender Classical Acoustic
The Trevor Rabin/Yes period. Ewwww.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by wilty00
I disagree. Most Van Halen fans I know still love the Hagar era, including myself. I wouldn't say it was a total loss.

Aerosmith, on the other hand...

I liked Van Hagar as much as the original VH w/DLR.
And I don't VH was "Looking for a new direction" when they fired DLR and hired SH. They needed a ne front man because Eddie was such an egomaniac tat he couldn't stand DLR stage presence competing w/hs guitar playing.
Quote by wilty00

Aerosmith, on the other hand...
Rock in a Hard Place and Done With Mirrors. Yikes.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by VoodooChild15

Ive thrown up every 20 minutes since I watched that. Thats awful.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
1. Brian Johnson
2. Neil Young touring with Pearl Jam
3. Satin pants
4. Synthesizers in ZZ Top
5. Paul Samwell-Smith leaving The Yardbirds
6. Replacing Paul Samwell Smith with Jimmy Page
7. Making Chris Dreja play bass
8. Jeff Beck leaving The Yardbirds
9. Replacing Jeff Beck with Jimmy Page
10. Jake Holmes not suing Led Zeppelin
11. Garfunkel breaking up with Simon
12. Jeff Beck's last three albums
13. Kurt Winter leaving The Guess Who
14. Joe Walsh leaving The James Gang
15. U2
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Quote by ZoSoII_13
Ive thrown up every 20 minutes since I watched that. Thats awful.

Lighten up. That's what the 80's were all about. I, for one, liked that video.
Should we include the 80's on our blunders lists then? The 80's were the single gayest point in time in the Earth's history.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
^ what the **** are you talking about? the 80's had awesome music. if you're judging it by all the hair metal and pop crap then yeah, it did suck, but considering that The Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, R.E.M., Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Devo, Talking Heads, The Jam, The Cramps, The Smiths, and Violent Femmes were 80's bands, you can't say that it sucked.
Quote by I Play Guitar!
^ what the **** are you talking about? the 80's had awesome music. if you're judging it by all the hair metal and pop crap then yeah, it did suck, but considering that The Pixies, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, R.E.M., Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Devo, Talking Heads, The Jam, The Cramps, The Smiths, and Violent Femmes were 80's bands, you can't say that it sucked.

So you're saying that in addition to it being gay, the 80's also layed the foundation for the pop punk bull**** that is mainstream nowadays?
Quote by ufossuck
The 80's were the single gayest point in time in the Earth's history.

Someone's obviously never heard of the middle ages.
Quote by BrainDamage

Bingooooo.

Quote by ufossuck
Should we include the 80's on our blunders lists then? The 80's were the single gayest point in time in the Earth's history.

Hey now, the 80's had some GREAT music. Don't group it all in with the bad.
KISS.

Never though a band could suck that much.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Quote by BlueOyster23
Not really an album, but John Lennon: "We're bigger than Jesus"

Once again someone using that quote completly out of context.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Quote by BrainDamage

Ever listen to RIAHP? Great songs...Jailbait, Bolivian Ragamuffin, Bitch's Brew, Joanie's Butterfly, Cheshire Cat...

And DWM has great songs like Darkness, Let The Music Do The Talking, She's On Fire, Gypsy Boots, etc.
Quote by I Play Guitar!

And even if they did influence pop punk, who cares?
Quote by IrishBlues
KISS.

Never though a band could suck that much.

I never thought you could suck so much. I mean honestly, sure they didnt have great musicanship, but they werent trying to be, and there goal was too become popular and write catchy songs, which you cant argue they didnt. Sure they sucked after Ace and Peter left the band, but there first four albums were great...

And even if they did influence pop punk, who cares?

Well, if it wasnt for them, that crap wouldnt be around, so theoreticly every fan of real music should...
Quote by get-born
Well, if it wasnt for them, that crap wouldnt be around, so theoreticly every fan of real music should...

Pop punk doesn't try to be anything other than fun, catchy music. If you don't like it, that's fine, but just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't "real music".

Also, to say that the list in general created pop punk is silly; bands like Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, and Black Flag in particular are more indie or hardcore.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by futurejp
Ever listen to RIAHP? Great songs...Jailbait, Bolivian Ragamuffin, Bitch's Brew, Joanie's Butterfly, Cheshire Cat...

And DWM has great songs like Darkness, Let The Music Do The Talking, She's On Fire, Gypsy Boots, etc.
I honestly wasn't impressed with Rock in a Hard Place, and the only song I like on Done With Mirrors is Let The Music Do The Talking.

The other album that's commonly grouped with those two albums is Night in the Ruts, but I like that album.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by fronkpies
Once again someone using that quote completly out of context.

No, I agree with what Lennon intended, that they, at the time were more popular than Jesus, considering that in the 60s before that loved the Beatles, while not all Athesists were big fans of Jesus. The blunder is what resulted from it.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Page 1 of 4