Ive been playing guitar for about 5 months now and ive recently learnt how to play sweet child o mine. I can play it perfectly, but it still doesnt sound right. How can i get it to sound like slash's? if this is any help, ive got only a mini 10 watt drive amp and a epiphone special 2.
Last edited by Russianrambo at Sep 16, 2006,
Make sure you roll back your tone knobs on the guitar, and maybe use the neck pickup. He has a very mellow tone.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
You're not going to get his tone with crappy equipment.

I beleive he uses:
Marshall Tube with Groove Tubes
Gibson Les Paul with Alcino Pro II pickups by Seymour Duncan
You need tubes to get his sound Also slash plays tuned hlaf step down - try it
half step down yeah.... and try alternating through that song flipping betwen neck and bridge pickups, you can tell when he changes.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Try these settings: Bass-7 o'clock
Treble-11 o'clock
Mid- 11 o'clock
Use the neck pickup with the tone way down. I dont think you will be able to get close with you're gear though. You should also use a little reverb as well. That is the settings i use for sweet child o mine and it sounds close to me.
Quote by Russianrambo
Ive been playing guitar for about 5 months now and ive recently learnt how to play sweet child o mine. I can play it perfectly, but it still doesnt sound right. How can i get it to sound like slash's? if this is any help, ive got only a mini 10 watt drive amp and a epiphone special 2.

Dickless.
lol thats funny ^
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Mids dimed. Bass at liek 7. treble at 5. He had a lot of mids and a lot of bass if i recall correctly. Use your neck pickup with the tone rolled back a bit.
thanks alot. It kinda worked but i couldnt get exact, but unlike some rich ****ers in here who mooch money off their parents and government i can afford relly great equipment. Considering im only 16 i reckon thats pretty good. thanks to all who helped and took their time to help me out.
Quote by Russianrambo
thanks alot. It kinda worked but i couldnt get exact, but unlike some rich ****ers in here who mooch money off their parents and government i can afford relly great equipment. Considering im only 16 i reckon thats pretty good. thanks to all who helped and took their time to help me out.

I just got a $3000 Amp head, Cabinet, and 2x12 and I'm only 15.

Because I cut grass.
yea im only 16 and i have spent easily 2 grand on equipment, you need to work for it, your not the only one that doesnt take money from their parents all the time...
I call bull**** that you can play sweet child o mine perfectly after only playing for 5 months
You'd be suprised, Amore. With practice, amazing things can happen. Who cares either way? He wants help for the TONE.

First things first, though - you need $10k to blow on equipment.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
amore just because your **** doesnt mean i am. i practice everyday and i do work for my equipment but i dont make that much money...especially on a pizza hut salary. BUt to you guys whi can...you guys rock...i wish i could make that much...goood on ya.
Quote by amorebelladonna
I call bull**** that you can play sweet child o mine perfectly after only playing for 5 months

it was one of the first songs i ever learned other than three chord stumming stuff, it isnt even that hard.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
sweet child o mine i FEEL, you need to have a humbucker in ur RHYTHM pick up, and u need a little bit of reverb. you dont need to spend $2000 on equipment for the sound of one song, because when you've been playing for a bit longer, you'll realise slash is overrated. But i DO like the tophat, so i decided to get one for myself. now it sits in the cupboard gathering dust.
your amp should have reverb which si a bit of echo. peace
Quote by Russianrambo
amore just because your **** doesnt mean i am. i practice everyday and i do work for my equipment but i dont make that much money...especially on a pizza hut salary. BUt to you guys whi can...you guys rock...i wish i could make that much...goood on ya.

at least you have a job and are making some money tho, i had to work pretty much most my summer for my money, where the salary isnt much more than what pizza hut pay
lots of reverb, kneck pup(especially for intro),treb about 1/2 way and bass. distorsion around 6/10. eb,ab,db,gb,bb.eb tuning
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
btw dont know if this was included but the neck pup Slash used for that song was most likely a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro
Quote by Russianrambo
Ive been playing guitar for about 5 months now and ive recently learnt how to play sweet child o mine. I can play it perfectly

I am not buying it. and if you are including the solo in "perfectly", it takes more than 5months.
B - MAN

My Main Rig:
☺1998 Gibson Les Paul Studio DC
☺Reverend Rocco(USA)
☺Martin DM
☺Peavey ValveKing 112
☺Dunlop Tortex(1.35Mm) Picks
☺Everly Rockers - .10guage.
☺Martin - .11guage.
☺Too many effects to list.
I googled for slash's gear, here is some of what he uses and has used

PICKUPS/GUITAR
Gibson Les Paul/Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups

AMPS
Marshall JCM 2555 Silver Jubilee Anniversary Amp ( Now Marshall JCM 2555 SL Slash's signature model)
Marshall 1960A and 1960B (full stack) 4 x 12 cabinets loaded with four 70W Celestion Vintage speakers.
Marshall mid-80's JCM 800 with 6550 output tubes

Pedals
Dunlop DCR-ISR Crybaby Rack, Dunlop Heil Talk Box, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay and a
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

PICKS/STRINGS ETC
Ernie Ball strings RPS 11
Heavy picks (Jim Dunlop Tortex 1.14 mm)
Gear
------
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Behringer Ultra METAL UM300 Distortion Pedal
Livingstone 50W amp
Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3
I think I have the amp you're talking about. Black outer casing, gold cornerplates and a grey mesh over the cover, right?
You're not gonna get his tone with that. It doesn't seem so bad now, but when you get a new amp, play that for a few months and then try your Drive out.
Compared to my current amp (which is a piece of crap) this thing's painful to listen to.
Last edited by kthxbi at Mar 26, 2008,
Roll the tone knob back, use neck pickup. Use Gain @ 7-8 o clock, treble cranked, mid @ 12 o clock, bass at about 5-6 o clock. if thats not close enough use a wah pedal.