Hi again, some of you may remember my previous thread about me not being able to do barre chords. Well, I am pleased to say that I'm getting a lot better and can move quite easily between different barre chords and my index finger is getting stronger. However, on my acoustic guitar, it is extremely hard to barre the first fret and get a clear sound, it requires a lot of pressure and I have to stop and adjust, can anybody help as the last help you all gave me was great. Also is it normal for the first fret to be harder to barre than other frets, thankyou again!
There really isn't much I can tell you. You said it yourself, it's hard to do on the first fret. You might just have to practice a little more.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Acoustic guitars in general have a higher action then electrics. (Meaning the strings are further away from the fret board). That doesn't apply to all acoustics (mine has lower action than my electric), but it sounds like that is what you've got. Just practice and build up strength in your hand and wrist and you'll get it.
Originally Posted by Lemoninfluence
he shoved a pole up the lads arse.

he didn't bumshag him.
There is a good chance your nut is too high. Push down your low E string on the 1st fret and look and see how much of a gap there is between the string and the second fret. Now lot the string back up and look at the gap between the 1st fret and the string. Is the gap at the 1st fret bigger then the gap was at the second fret? If the answer is "yes" then you need to file down the slot in the nut for the low E. After you have the low E adjusted do the same thing with the other strings. Note that it is very likely that some slots will need more filing than others and some might not need any adjustment. Just because one string looks ok doesn't mean you don't need to check all the other strings.

If all the strings look ok then the only other answer is practice. It is harder to barr on the 1st fret but it shouldn't be *that* much harder.
Not taking any online orders.
I have(had) the same problem; but my index finger's strengthened now.
Thanks for all the advice again. I think I'll just keep on practising and I'll get there in the end.

Jack
Quote by jacko_17
Hi again, some of you may remember my previous thread about me not being able to do barre chords. Well, I am pleased to say that I'm getting a lot better and can move quite easily between different barre chords and my index finger is getting stronger. However, on my acoustic guitar, it is extremely hard to barre the first fret and get a clear sound, it requires a lot of pressure and I have to stop and adjust, can anybody help as the last help you all gave me was great. Also is it normal for the first fret to be harder to barre than other frets, thankyou again!

what kind of guitar you got....and....whens the last time u changed the strings
It's an Encore acoustic and I haven't changed the strings on it yet, had it about 7 months, but my brother previously had it for about 2 years.
Quote by jacko_17
It's an Encore acoustic and I haven't changed the strings on it yet, had it about 7 months, but my brother previously had it for about 2 years.

Dude, freshen that bad boy up! Slap on a set of lighter gauge strings, and you'll probably be halfway there.

Other than that, that damn F chord is work! You'll get it with practice.
Quote by slatsmania
Dude, freshen that bad boy up! Slap on a set of lighter gauge strings, and you'll probably be halfway there.

Other than that, that damn F chord is work! You'll get it with practice.

I've got two questions:

1)Where do you get lighter gauge strings? and
2)Does it alter the sound massively?

Thanks
Quote by jacko_17
I've got two questions:

1)Where do you get lighter gauge strings? and
2)Does it alter the sound massively?

Thanks

1.) Just ask the guy at your local store for light or extra light acoustic guitar strings. He has 'em. D'Addario's a good, popular brand.

2.) If you haven't changed the strings in seven months, and don't know the last time your brother did, I imagine you'll notice a big difference in brightness right off the bat. Bear in mind that they'll have to stretch some, so they won't hold a tune very well at first. A lighter gauge string will be easier for you to press down, especially those pesky barre chords.
1st fret can be really hard to barre. F will take some doing. I'm still not great at Fm!
i am member no. 3 of the 'coheed and cambria fan club' interested? pm CoheedANDnofx6.

"I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it"
-Mitch Hedberg
it is harder to fret a string on the 1st fret. you may be able to get it lowered at the nut though. take it to a shop and ask.

edit. ya what corduroy said. he's a guitar smart guy.
what
The first fret is just the hardest one to barre. It's an annoying fact about guitar playing. Keep practicing, and it will get better. once you're used to it, you'll be able to pull of a BbM7 no problem.
Death to Ovation haters!