i'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this but what is the difference between passive and active guitar pickups
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Active pickups take 9v batteries, passive pickups don't.
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure active pickups give a "heavier" sound.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
they are higher outputed or something. they only sound really good through a good tube amp no point in one with an amp like tht line 6 spider tht guy has or something^

they just dont get the full benefit out of them then.
so say i wanted to install some pickups in and ibanez guitar and i was leaning towards say EMG would i be able to put active pickups into it whithout a pre-amp or would i need passive pickups. for the record i don't really know what i'm talking about here i'm just going to get an ibanez on friday and i want to take out the tickups that are in it and put in some active EMG pickuos
I shot JR

actives still do sound good on solid state just better on tube. THe downside is if you and another guitar are playing through the same channel youll completely drain the other guys sound
I'm not sure about the preamp, though I don't think you need one, though do NOT go by what I'm saying.

I think you don't need preamp, and you don't need to route a cavity for the battery either. I think you can just insert it right behind the pickup?
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by Drmckool
so say i wanted to install some pickups in and ibanez guitar and i was leaning towards say EMG would i be able to put active pickups into it whithout a pre-amp or would i need passive pickups. for the record i don't really know what i'm talking about here i'm just going to get an ibanez on friday and i want to take out the tickups that are in it and put in some active EMG pickuos

Just make sure the guitar isint made out of alder emg actives+alder=crap

^yes at they just sound better through tube but its ALOT better when i tried the emg actives with a spider and instead the emgs with a tsl marshall sounded 20000x better the passive pickups on another guitar acctually sounded better on the spider
Active pickups are a higher output, thus hotter and so they've become popular amongst metal players. They run off a 9 volt battery and are usualy more expensive and require more effort to install

You can get varying types of active, from stuff like EMG-81/85 to the EMB T-Set (Telecasters).

Sora_01: If they're going in his MIM Strat (or any other guitar with lower quality pickups), they will sound better then stock regardless of what amp you run it through.
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
i'm probably going to put EMG-81/85 on either a higher end RG ibanez, an iceman or on a S470 or something like that. it depends on which one i get. i just want to rearch what would be good before i go to the store to play them so i don't look like an idoit when i look for pickups
I shot JR

Actives bolster your output. With tube amps this is great and adds extra distortion for solos or whatever, but on solid states it sounds fairly nasty... clipping happens
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
What is the point of actives, when OD Pedals Exist.
Doesn't the OD do same thing? Boost the signal to higher output to overdrive the pre-amp tubes

Actives are just Pups with Built in OD no?
(thats what it seems like)
1981 Marshall JCM800 2203
Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier 2 Channel
Sobbat Drive Breaker 1
There are some clips of some EMG actives played through various different amps available on the Randall website, so you can compare the tone with various other pickups.