I'm not asking for advice for how to remove static/hiss for myself but i thought this would be a good thread for us to post our advice on how to remove as much static as you can. like the pros have no static when playing so i'm sure we'd love to come as close to that. maybe we can put our ideas together.

noise gate pedals still leave some static but remove most static. another thing is make sure you don't use your pedals as volume controls, as high gain can add static.
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
my suggestions-
#1. high quality amp, and bass.
#2. new, high quality cables
#3. high quality pre-amps, or effects
#4. no effects pedals, or tuners, in-line, between the bass and amp.

i play with no effects, or EQ pedals. my rack mount tuner gets it's signal from the line out. i hate noise, or hiss. my rig is stone cold quite, when my bass volumes are down.
^ yeah. also i suppose, besides the high quality amps, that it's cuz the pros have amps with a lot of wattage so they don't have to turn them up as loud. which removes a lot of static.
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
Quote by rockerc
^ yeah. also i suppose, besides the high quality amps, that it's cuz the pros have amps with a lot of wattage so they don't have to turn them up as loud. which removes a lot of static.

actually, i put amps and bass #1, because it does matter, but in reality, cables are just as important. if you are like most players, use what you have, and disreguard #1.
most "pro's" play directly through the PA. the wall of amps is just for show. my 200watt amp will sound just as loud, to the crowd, as a 1000watt amp.
quality counts, in all aspects of music.
For me i think amps and cables are the most important thingy.Then,to cut the static,i
normally move my pedals and myself away from thte amp during performances because the
pickups have some kinda magnetic stuff and makes buzzing sounds.Next,get a good cable,
most preferably a shielded end. Hmmm,what else?...oh yeah,if you're really really serious
about this static thingy,a noice reduction/supressor pedal would work. Check out BOSS.
Resoldering all the wires everyonce in a while. They sometimes get a little loose from gigging. Replacing the input everyone few years. It starts to bend and looses friction with the cable. turning the volume knob down to 8 rather than 10 cuts down the noise a ****load.