Hi
I'm from Brazil, and i'll probably be travelling to the US in the beggining of 2007

The guitar must be $400 top... I'll also change the pickups anyway, probably
air norton/norton

I was checking this ones:

ESP LTD M-200 (read several bad thing about agathis, but i'll change the pups)
Ibanez RG 350, 370, the new one with a maple neck
OLP Petrucci and MM-1 with floyd bridge
Schecter Damien FR (didn't like the body shape, i preffer the superstrat one)

Styles:
Rock - satriani, kenny wayne, deep purple, bon jovi
also some lighter things, so i'll need a nice clean tone
Out of those i'd say go for one of the Ibanez ones (keep this in mind though: cheap floyd roses are almost always a waist of money, so if you can afford it check out the Ibanez S470 which has the amazing Ibanez ZR bridge)

EDIT: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-2005-S470-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519969

The extra 100 bucks are worth it.

EDIT 2: If you really can't afford the S470, try the RG321. It might not have a Floyd Rose, but it's better to have a hardtail than a cheap trem that keeps giving you tuning problems whenever you touch it...
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Sep 16, 2006,
I'm aware of that... but right now i have a Ibanez GIO with floyd and the tuning is not very affected, even when i do the Vai kind of thing... is just a matter of stretching the strings
My main concern is the tone with the dimarzio set that I mentioned...
visually i loved the esp, and i'm not a big fan of the ibanez rgs very much, only the JS series, which are waayy over my budget...

but this agathis: buy or not do buy thing is killing me
Quote by kisuco
I'm aware of that... but right now i have a Ibanez GIO with floyd and the tuning is not very affected, even when i do the Vai kind of thing... is just a matter of stretching the strings
My main concern is the tone with the dimarzio set that I mentioned...
visually i loved the esp, and i'm not a big fan of the ibanez rgs very much, only the JS series, which are waayy over my budget...

but this agathis: buy or not do buy thing is killing me

Well the thing with the edge pro 2 on your GIO is that the quality is very inconsitent: some work well and will last for ages, some are completely useless after 3 months.
The S series guitars look quite like the JS ones and combined with those pickups you're talking about, it will be one cool guitar.
As for the tone any of these guitars will have, it will be mainly up to your amplifier and not so much the wood and the pickups; if your amp doesn't sound very good, a pickup change is not going to do that much.
My advice would be: Buy the S470 and keep the stock pickups. Start saving up for a new amp (if you haven't got a decent one yet) and than buy some new pickups.
actually, my gio is pre-2002, so it has a single locking bridge... not good
Quote by kisuco
actually, my gio is pre-2002, so it has a single locking bridge... not good

Aha, anyway, what kind of amp do you have?
@ Bonsaischaap: i nice one, a handmade jcm combo 1x12'

asbout the S: i would love one, but Brazil allows me to bring only $500 in any kind of equipment, so a $500 will kill my chance to buy other stuff
@ pierce34celtic: nice S series

the only problem is that i'll stay in the US for 10 days tops, so i'm looking into the new guitars market, or a used guitars shop in washington DC
Well, there are plenty of Guitar Center's in America, so you will be able to try a lot of guitars. Also, if you put some easily removable stickers on your gigbag/case/guitar you can take it through customs without paying, because they will probably think it's been with you for more then ten days. In fact, if you are certain you are going to buy a guitar, just take an empty hardshell case with you.
...There's no such thing as a GIO equipped with Edge Pro 2... Even most they're equipped with ILT1 bridge or TRS101.

And to TS, you can definetely throw the LTD out of your list, agathis isnt the best wood out there. If you're into Satch or the JS series, then save up a bit and get the S470 since you dont like the RG. But if you change your mind on the RG, then you can get the RG370/350 if you want but you definetely gotta buy a spare trem (most likely a Gotoh LFR) to swap it if your trem fails.

For used guitars, definetely look into anything that's in the RG5xx/RG7xx series. If you're too much into the S-series, then you could get a used S520/S470 but depending on which year its made, you could get the "not so good" Lo-TRS trem.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
...There's no such thing as a GIO equipped with Edge Pro 2... Even most they're equipped with ILT1 bridge or TRS101.

And to TS, you can definetely throw the LTD out of your list, agathis isnt the best wood out there. If you're into Satch or the JS series, then save up a bit and get the S470 since you dont like the RG. But if you change your mind on the RG, then you can get the RG370/350 if you want but you definetely gotta buy a spare trem (most likely a Gotoh LFR) to swap it if your trem fails.

For used guitars, definetely look into anything that's in the RG5xx/RG7xx series. If you're too much into the S-series, then you could get a used S520/S470 but depending on which year its made, you could get the "not so good" Lo-TRS trem.

I was thinking about crappy Ibanez double locking trems, hence me mistaking it for an edge pro 2.

Anyway, the edge pro 2 or 3 which is definitely on the RG 350/370 is not the best candidate for swapping, since it has some weird dimensions (you can't even replace it with an original Edge Pro).
You could buy the S470 (or the S520) used, but i would recommend you buy one with a ZR bridge, since that is one of the features that makes this guitar unique . It's not very hard to see if it has a ZR bridge, so just google up some pics.
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Sep 17, 2006,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I was thinking about crappy Ibanez double locking trems, hence me mistaking it for an edge pro 2.

Anyway, the edge pro 2 or 3 which is definitely on the RG 350/370 is not the best candidate for swapping, since it has some weird dimensions (you can't even replace it with an original Edge Pro).
You could buy the S470 (or the S520) used, but i would recommend you buy one with a ZR bridge, since that is one of the features that makes this guitar unique . It's not very hard to see if it has a ZR bridge, so just google up some pics.

The dimension isnt weird, the Edge III is easily swappable to an OFR/Schaller/Gotoh LFR. IMHO, Gotoh is the way to go since it has lower profile and by far has almost similar feel to an Edge Pro. The Edge Pro II is swappable to an Edge Pro, the Lo-TRS II is the same, can be swapped with an OFR/Schaller/Gotoh but would leave a bit of gap on the left side. The Lo TRS I however have to use the old studs since its smaller, in order to swap with an OFR/Schaller/Gotoh.

For the best mod, install an Edge Pro posts inside the Edge Pro II's cavity since the Edge Pro II's anchors uses unstable "hinge type" anchors.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
ok... i'll try to look for a used S series... they are usually $300-350 used??

and the OLP's?? any thoughts?
OLP MM1's are pretty nice, License Floyd with a basswood body, kinda looks like the EVH Peavey Wolfgang.
Do a google search for each guitar you're interested in. Read reviews written by people who actually own the instruments. If at all possible, play them yourself.
ok guys... i gave up
i'm going for the s470

P.S.: is it easy to find the ice blue one?
Last edited by kisuco at Oct 6, 2006,
oh, remembered some things:
what do you think about a Norton - Paf Pro/Paf Joe set?
any suggestions for a middle pickup? i guess a very clean style single would be perfect, but i have no idea about single pickups