how come there are only usually 2 guitarist (ocassionally 1 or 3) in a band but never more than one bassist? ive always thought it would be cool to have 2 bassists in a band. do yall think it would be a good idea?
usually its not needed, but it'd be cool to see some (Big SIr had Juan Aldrete and Tim Commerford i believe). With guitars, one is lead, one is rhythm- thus they do two different jobs. Bass is to hold down the low end, you only need one for that.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
if you have two bassists the low notes can be harder to pick out from each other.
one song: big bottom
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
They have them in Reggae. But bands that need two different things going at once on a bass usually have someone talented enough to play both lines on one bass.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Bx3 has them. Its a 3 bassist band... although it is a supergroup. Billy Sheehan, Jeff Berlin, and Stu Hamm.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Quote by Incubus_SCIENCE
Bx3 has them. Its a 3 bassist band... although it is a supergroup. Billy Sheehan, Jeff Berlin, and Stu Hamm.
i thought that was a tour thing, like G3...
well for one, if most places are anything like my neighbourhood it'd be impossible to find another bassist, kinda feels like blue whales and junk, and they're probably already in 3 or 4 bands, like i was at 1 point.

but yeh generally more than 1 bassisst makes the low notes pretty muddy. the way ive thought about it is the whole sound spectrum thing, bass covers low, rhythm guitar covers mid, and lead covers high, makes a complete sound.
cause 1 bass can already prove to be kinda difficult to make out in some songs. with two it would just sound like a constant bottom end noise
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
i thought that was a tour thing, like G3...

Well it is, but they are playing more than just 1 tour...

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
you could do it in the same way that guitarists do it, have them both play the same bass line, but the other bassist plays it an octave or two above the other. it could sound pretty cool, two basses working in harmony together. add some distortion/overdrive to the "lead" bass, and you can have some pretty cool sounding music. give it a try!
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Nah. It'd be too cluttered. The human ear is less precise at the lower frequencies, and you wouldn't be able to pick out the different lines.
i think it'd be pretty sick to see two bassists in one band. im making a band right now along with my friend whos the drummer. who knows? maybe later we'll get another bassist lol. but i dont think its going to be a big problem with the low end being too much or "muddy". me and my bass teacher play bass duets. we played this part of a song from bach and it sounds pretty tight. i say try it out. you never know what will happen.
Quote by brngbacwudstok
well too much bass can sound bad....good idea if the 2 bassists work really well together

i totally agree with that..
Quote by Your41Plague12
you could do it in the same way that guitarists do it, have them both play the same bass line, but the other bassist plays it an octave or two above the other. it could sound pretty cool, two basses working in harmony together. add some distortion/overdrive to the "lead" bass, and you can have some pretty cool sounding music. give it a try!

Well you could just turn up the octave, but harmonies would sound cool.

It'll sound muddy too
There's a band called Arnocorps that has two bassists... you can't really tell them apart.
You would need 2 guys that are really good with counterpoint also. They would need to be very precise with there notes, or else it would sound like absolute ****.
Yes, I reckon it could deffinately work especially since as some of you have posted there is such bands/bassists that have done so before. There is deffinately a need for the two muscians to be able to get along and coordinate together very well, better than some guitarists do (where the lead player does his own thing and tries only to stay in key).

The muddy-ness issue is a important one but not enough of an issue to not even attempt it, it is just that as previously stated the bassists will either have to assume main rhythm and lead rhythm (as bass has to be somewhat of a rhythm instrument if playing with guitars as well) OR have different styles/EQs and just harmonizing and keeping generally locked together.

Because to say that two basses playing the same line will automatically sound muddy would be the same as saying that Iron Maiden is all just muddy guitar (if you don't know they have 3 guitarists and a bassist and all play rhythm and have turns playing lead bits/lines/solos), but I do realise that the lower frequencies are harder to distinguish it just means it would require more thought and possibly a seperation of styles/EQing.

(eg. one plays with a pick and lots of reggae EQing while the other one has a Steve Harris EQ) just as bands such as Judas Priest do with guitars (both guitarists play lead bits and have two different unique sounds to distinguish the two).
King Crimson in the 80's had the "Double Trio"

2 Bassists, Tony Levin and Trey Gunn
Tony would either play a Chapman Stick or his bass and Trey had his different Warr guitars

2 Drummers
Pat Mastelleto and Bill Bruford

2 Guitarists

Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew

Yeah, the 80's and early 90's were good years for Crimson... Holy Virtuouso
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by crazypeanutman
one song: big bottom

haha.....a fellow tap head!!! the wonders 3 bass guitars in one song can do ey?
I used to have 2 bassists in my jazz band at school, now i'm the only one, the other one couldn't keep time, and they are really key to keep time, and rhythm or else they will sound like a jumble of notes.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
They don't actually have two bassists, but Aerosmith had one song (back in the saddle) that was played on two basses. Joe Perry played a 6-string bass, and Tom Hamilton his usual 4. I love that song so much, it shows just waht can be accomplished with two basses.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Quote by grimreaper65
Nah. It'd be too cluttered. The human ear is less precise at the lower frequencies, and you wouldn't be able to pick out the different lines.

very true my friend , if u wanted 2 bassists u wouls need one bass to make a completely different tone to the other, like on pick bass and the treble whacked up , and another bassist but usings finger bass and load of bass.

who knows , what it would sound like, mite be ****
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Spinal Tap FTW!!!!
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join