...what's the theory behind them? You just take any chord and add whatever interval the number is? What about 13ths and 15ths then?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Add chords are a base triad with an added note... another note added to your basic triad.

C - E - G = C.
C - E - G - D = Cadd9.

D being the 2nd (9th) of C major.

An add13 chord, would simply be called a 6th chord - as the 13th and 6th are the same note.

C - E - G - A = C6.
C - E - G - A = Cadd13?

You'd simply call that a C6.

With add15, lol... the 15th is the same tone as the tonic in a major chord.. ergo..

C - E - G - C = Cadd15?
C - E - G - C = C.

With add chords, some people tend to differentiate between chords with a 7th with added extensions and omitted notes and chords with a 7th with all the notes intact.

For example, some people might call...

C - E - G - B - D = Cmaj7add9

Where as, when the 7th is included the 'add' becomes redundant, leading to the chord being called.

C - E - G - B - D = Cmaj9

The Cmaj9 being the correct name, and Cmaj7add9 being incorrect - as once the 7th tone is present, 'add' becomes redundant.

Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Sep 16, 2006,
Quote by Johnljones7443
With add15, lol... the 15th is the same tone as the 3rd in a major chord.. ergo..
The 15th would be an actave higher than the 7th, would it not?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
You're welcome.

Hang on, wouldn't the 15th be two octaves higher than the tonic?

C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C...
1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 -10 -11 -12 -13 -14 -15...

, I think that's right... I've had a few, so my impairments off.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Sep 16, 2006,
D being the 2nd (9th) of C major.

Wait, why is the 2nd note a 9?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Ace88
Wait, why is the 2nd note a 9?

The 9th is the same note as the 2nd, but one octave higher in pitch.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Johnljones7443
For example, some people might call...

C - E - G - B - D = Cmaj7add9

And where might you have gotten that example?
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Johnljones7443

C - E - G - B - D = Cmaj9

The Cmaj9 being the correct name, and Cmaj7add9 being incorrect - as once the 7th tone is present, 'add' becomes redundant.

So, C-E-G-B-F would be Cmaj13, or Cmaj6?

Also, what if the chord was C-E-G-D-F (ie, skipping the 7th and using the 9th and 13th)?
Quote by Scourge441
So, C-E-G-B-F would be Cmaj13, or Cmaj6?

Also, what if the chord was C-E-G-D-F (ie, skipping the 7th and using the 9th and 13th)?

No, C (1) - E (3) - G (5) - B (7) - F (11) = Cmaj11. (Note though, that in most circumstances you won't see a maj11 chord because of the dissonance between the P4 and M3, so the F will get raised to an F# and the chord called Cmaj7#11)

Well, omitting the seventh and adding the 9th and 13th would... C(1) - E(3) - G(5) - A(6) - D(9) - A C6add9 chord, which is normally seen written as C6/9.

Looks like you got a bit mixed up with your notes aswell

Quote by Johnljones7443
No, C (1) - E (3) - G (5) - B (7) - F (11) = Cmaj11. (Note though, that in most circumstances you won't see a maj11 chord because of the dissonance between the P4 and M3, so the F will get raised to an F# and the chord called Cmaj7#11)

Well, omitting the seventh and adding the 9th and 13th would... C(1) - E(3) - G(5) - A(6) - D(9) - A C6add9 chord, which is normally seen written as C6/9.

Looks like you got a bit mixed up with your notes aswell

My fault for forgetting basic math.
What if the note you have isn't the 9th? For example what if you added that D to a C chord but it wasn't the one that's an octave higher?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

That would be a Csus2. Given that, the D should somehow resolve downwards to the C.

Scourge441 - "Also, what if the chord was C-E-G-D-F (ie, skipping the 7th and using the 9th and 13th)?"

Answer: Em9b13. Although.... It would be unusual to build an Em9b13 on top of the altered b13, unless that C was a pedal tone. If it was a pedal tone, then it would most correctly be Em9/C.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
That would be a Csus2. Given that, the D should somehow resolve downwards to the C.

If it was that case then it would be a Csus4 not Csus2. And i meant what if you don't change the C to a D (which is what constitutes a suspended chord) i mean what if you just throw it in there?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Csus4 would add an F, not a D. D is the second scale degree of C, so it would be a Csus2. A suspension typically resolves downward, so it would sound kind of funny if you didn't resolve the D down to a C.

If you don't change the C to a D, then you have CEG, which is a C chord.

Chris

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by Ace88
If it was that case then it would be a Csus4 not Csus2.

Where in the world do you get THAT from anyways?

Chris

Wait yeah you're right my brain hiccupped and i misread that. My bad.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.