Okay, I have been thinking about getting a multiFX processor for a while, specifically the Boss GT-8. I have heard all of the horror stories about how it 'kills tone' and is 'no substitute for a good amp' but my situation is a bit different. I currently play lead electric guitar at my church, and I don't use an amp there, only a direct connection to the PA system. Right now I have 3 or 4 pedals that I use on a regular basis (one of which is just for volume boost to cut through for leads). They are the Boss Super Chorus, Digitech Bad Monkey, and Boss Blues Driver. I don't really want to buy a million different pedals, but I don't have enough experience to know what types of pedals I want/need to buy in order to get a certain sound. Does the GT-8 have decent effects? Will it be better or worse (tone/sound-quality-wise) than my current setup (my guitar is a Godin LG with humbucker pickups, by the way)? The lead effect/button on the GT-8 caught my attention because there are many times when I am playing but the sound techies in the back of the room have turned my volume so low that at the climax of the song nobody in the audience can hear me. Does anyone know if it actually works well?

A couple more questions:
how sensitive is the thing that senses your picking and changes from clean to distortion accordingly?
Is the GT-8 good enough to be used for real gigging, or just for bedroom jamming?
Is the GT-8 worth the money (i.e. is it priced too high compared to most FX pedals or is it a worthwhile purchase)?

Thanks to anyone who responds.
my opinions is that multis can be a good tool for finding new sounds and whatnot without spending a crapload on individual stomp boxes, but i would never use them in the studio and only use one live as a last ditch backup.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I disagree with the first two comments. I recently purchased the Pod6 XT Live and about a month ago and thus far am very satisfied with its performance. Unlike its Digitech and Toneworks brethen it dosnt have that cheap plastic feel (as it is composed mostly of metal) you usually get from mutli-effect pedals. Not only does it come with a ton of stomp boxes built it but several amp models, mod and delay settings that you can mix and match as you please to create your signature sound. Once you've created this sound you can store it on its vast memory which is as easy to access as putting your foot down allowing you to do with one stomp what would take a dozen stomps and several nob turns with multiple singlular effect linked together.

Now I hate to sound like a salesman here, but thats not all.

It connects to your computer via MIDI or USB (included) cables allowing you to:
1) Download additional effect packages such as "FX junkie" "collector classics" "metal shop" and even a bass expansion!
2)Using a computer program such as say Mac's Garage Band for instance, you can record directly onto your computer. Nuff' said. You now have a god damn recording studio right in your bed room.

Trust me brass its the way to go.
Last edited by color me misery at Sep 16, 2006,
The GT-8 excels in many areas, especially when dealing with mix-board nazis (keep in mind it won't boost your volume at all if they've got you notched at the board, but you will be able to boost your mids a bit with the solo feature, and that should get you through the mix fairly well).

To answer your other questions...

The picking dynamics feature can be adjusted...you can set the high and low parameters and the changeover rate to suit your needs.

Yes, the GT-8 is a great gig tool. If your amp dies, you can go directly to the board or PA. Your only limitation in that situation is that the house sound system turns into an EQ that you can't get rid of, and it can be very frustrating. For me, if my GT-8 dies, I've got all my sounds stored on my computer and I transfer them to another GT-8 through MIDI. If I can't bring my GT-8 to a jam or venue for some reason, then I can pick up another GT-8 in the area and dump my patches into that one for the night with my laptop. For recording, the digital output feature is great, but I have to customize my patches for that output. No problems though.

For what this thing does, I consider it to be very cheap. If you can get it at cost, it's even better. There are things this unit can do that an individual stomp will never be able to do. I've elaborated on this subject countless times in countless posts, but if you can show me a chorus pedal that will dynamically change the depth and rate depending on what position my wah pedal is in, then I'm about halfway there. When you give me a wah that turns into a whammy halfway through the pedal sweep, I'll be 75%...but I don't think you'll get me to 100%.

And as far as the overdrive goes, it all depends on what model you're using. The Tube Screamer and Big Muff sims break up quite nicely and are very sensitive to how you pick.

If you want some reference to my experience, I've built rigs with just about every amp from the Fender catalogue, several mesas and marshalls, and some of the boutique stuff. I've owned a closet full of stomps, and yes, the quality of some of those units is just incredible...but the GT-8 will get you in the same house without gutting you financially.
Thanks guys, especially color me misery and TwoString (because they actually explained in-depth their opinions and the reasons behind them). I think I will try to test it out at a music store sometime before I make my final decision, but right now I am leaning towards getting it. Perhaps I can coax my parents into making it a combined b-day and christmas gift. That would be pretty sweet.

Another set of questions:
How good is the amp modeling and is it actually useful?
Does the ability to combine amps or to pan them actually help?
Is it hard to learn how to use all of the features (I am not the most tech savvie person...)?
You'll spend a good couple of weeks going over the manual and getting to know the unit. Take a look over at bossgtcentral.com for some tips, especially perdi's primer...just search for it and start there. The ability to combine amps is very useful and panning them L/R helps too. I made a SRV patch using a build Vibroverb model and a Marshall plexi model and combined with the TS-9 model it's pretty great...also useful for RHCP tones as well. As far as the actual models, it depends...to me the 5150 is useless. There are other amp models that just don't cut it for me, but I can find some great tones using about 75% of the models in the unit...if I need anything else, the ability to make your own amp model comes in handy. Hope this helps you out.
Thanks a ton TwoString, so far you are the only one who is directly answering my questions. Not only that, but you also seem to know a lot about the subject rather than just spewing mountains of uninformed crap.

I just came up with another important question:
Does the GT-8 have a nice built-in tuner, and if so does the tuner when being used turn off the output signal so that you can tune without everyone in the audience having to hear you tune? It seems like it should, its just a common sense sort of thing, but its fairly important to me so I thought I should ask rather than assume.
Last edited by Midi Cream Pie at Sep 17, 2006,
No problem, Midi...

Yes, when you drop into tuning mode, the output is muted. And the tuner is very accurate...better than the POD or Digitech units. But to me, the GT-8 bested the POD and Digitech in just about every category (I'd have to give it to the POD for it's higher gain amp models, but with tweeking, the GT-8 bests it in that category. The POD outdoes it in terms of simplicity though).

I respond to these posts because of the amount of flack modelers get. The GT-8 surpasses so many effects units, both individuals and other multi units. Another reason I respond to these is the simple fact that I'm making up for my years spent as a tube snob. It wasn't until I got to see King Crimson in action that I started looking into the digital stuff...the world is a lot nicer without blinders on.
i think if a guitarist got the choice between a modeller and a tube amp with a couple of effects pedals then they'd choose the amp. sadly tube amps are still overpriced and modellers are becoming cheaper so that's not a realistic choice.
Marty
if something ****s up in a multifx you cant replace it that easy. when you have a bunch of stomps you just take the one that doesnt work out, and replace it
If you are looking at Multi FX processors, check out TC Electronics, IMO they are awesome and WAY better than Boss
Gear:

Crafter FX550 EQL
Ibanez SA260FML

THD Univalve
Framus FR-212 Cab (Celestion Vintage 30's)

Dunlop Crybaby

Started playing May 28th 2005
Quote by supermc
If you are looking at Multi FX processors, check out TC Electronics, IMO they are awesome and WAY better than Boss

Yes, TC Electronics are better Multi FX boxes, but they are higher priced. And it depends on which TC Electronics processor you're talking about. Most of the mid level units don't provide preamp modeling, in fact I don't know of any TC Electronics processor that provides preamp modeling. If you want distortion effects, the only TC Electronics unit that does that is the G-Force...which is great if you've got $1500.

G-System...$1500...no preamp models...no overdrive...limited effects control (no dynamics)...

GT-8...$365 (yes, you can talk them down)...dual preamps....flexible routing...dynamic effects control...Boss wins.
Trust me when I say this.

I have owned a Boss GT-8. In fact, I sold all my old boss analog pedals for it. IT'S ALMOST COMPLETE GARBAGE. It's no substitute for my old pedals... and it even broke a month after I got it, it was so sh*tty.

Then I tried this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-ToneLab-SE-Tube-Driven-Modeling-Floorboard-Processor?sku=150314

Vox ToneLab. The finest on the market, seriously.

Fully programmable, built like a tank. Try it before you buy the Boss, and you'll see what I mean.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
the genre of metal is like an apple, I prefer just the apple, not the applecore
i think the reason that a lot of people would choose the latter is because it has been tried and tested.

In fact there are a lot ofsituations where new technology is introduced and everytime it gets bad feedback. I think its human nature to react to change, however slowly everybody would acept that change. Yes there might be flaws, but technology is ever so improving that analog stomps would be a thing of the past.

Me, i prefer multi effects processors simply because its more versatile and bang for the buck.

i.e. connect to the pc, save settings, amp modelling, gazillions of effects (cheaper than you buying individual pedals), compact, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc...
go for it seems good enough. singles are really expencive - u might only get like 6 good pedals and then u might want more or more expencive ones.

i kinda lost my point hear but basicly its cheeper
gear4music indianapolis // Blackstar HT-1R Metal
Quote by Kaervek

I have owned a Boss GT-8. In fact, I sold all my old boss analog pedals for it. IT'S ALMOST COMPLETE GARBAGE. It's no substitute for my old pedals... and it even broke a month after I got it, it was so sh*tty.

How did it break? What exactly happened to it?

And yes, I acknowledge the fact that everyone is going to have a different experience with the unit, but I've had no problems with mine and I've been playing with it for nearly a year. It's a permanant piece in my rig at this point. I gave up my giganto pedalboard with all my stomps through a twin reverb for this smaller setup with a hot rod deluxe.

The Vox tonelab is also a very nice unit, but in my experience with it, it just didn't have the effects capabilities of the GT08
Quote by TwoString
How did it break? What exactly happened to it?

*snip*

The Vox tonelab is also a very nice unit, but in my experience with it, it just didn't have the effects capabilities of the GT08

I was just using it and it just gave out. Sorta like, "brazap." And it didn't work anymore. Period.

It didn't sound too great to me anyway. It was no substitute for my pedals... but the Tonelab is, somewhat. The pedals still kicked ass. But, the Tonelab can do what my pedals did and more, so I'm not complaining.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
Quote by Kaervek
I was just using it and it just gave out. Sorta like, "brazap." And it didn't work anymore. Period.

It didn't sound too great to me anyway. It was no substitute for my pedals... but the Tonelab is, somewhat. The pedals still kicked ass. But, the Tonelab can do what my pedals did and more, so I'm not complaining.

Cool...are you sure the "brazap" sound wasn't one of the more extreme effects? :stickpoke Just kidding...sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. My run-in with the tonelab is pretty much the direct opposite of yours. The unit glitched on certain patches and just didn't seem like it worked correctly...didn't sound great to me either. The GT works beautifully for me...no problems at all with the unit. The only time I've ever had a problem with it was when I plugged it into a faulty power strip and it wasn't getting enough power. It started flickering when I turned it on and I immediatelly turned it off. I stripped the rig down and started plugging in stuff one by one and the first thing I plugged in was my pedal power 2 with a single tube screamer and the tube screamer sounded like it was dying. Thew out the power strip and started over with a fresh one and it worked just fine.

What kind of music do you play Kaervek? How is the tonelab filling in your sounds? What other equipment are you using?
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Overdrive isn't going to be as sensitive....

In general, I do not like processors....get individual stomps of what you need and call it a day!

+1. Check-out the Danelectro Fab pedals. You can get all 6 of 'em for under $100, and they're analog. Then get a 1-Spot adapter (powers 5 pedals) and velcro 'em to a piece of wood. Best board possible for under $150 total.
Currently co-designing a powerful, analog Eq-Amp-Sim. with www.dreamtonefx.com. (PM me for details rather than Dreamtone please.)
I like the PODxt Live a lot. Very nice. About 20 majillion different sounds possible, and lots of buttons to set them to to switch between different tones on the fly.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by tocs100
+1. Check-out the Danelectro Fab pedals. You can get all 6 of 'em for under $100, and they're analog. Then get a 1-Spot adapter (powers 5 pedals) and velcro 'em to a piece of wood. Best board possible for under $150 total.

I must beg you not to spend your money on this setup. The GT-8, POD XTL and even the Digitech GNX4 are far better investments that the all Danelectro board. If you are going to dump $150 towards danelectros, then buy the quality units like the Dan-Echo and Cool-Cat Chorus...ignore everything else and go with quality stomps from other companies.

As far as the 1-Spot adapters go, I've had nothing but trouble with those units...very bad sources for inductance noise in the rigs I?ve built.

The VooDoo Labs Pedal Power unit is a better investment. It is more expensive, but you?ll never have to buy another power supply.
I dont have alot of time so ill make this kinda short.
Quote by Midi Cream Pie
Another set of questions:

How good is the amp modeling and is it actually useful?
The xt live has a ton of amp models which all sound very true to life through my fender cab.
Does the ability to combine amps or to pan them actually help?
!!!!Yes!!!
Is it hard to learn how to use all of the features (I am not the most tech savvie person...)?
If you can work a TV remote you can use this pedal's built in effects. (which for small time gigs and chuch sessions you have everything you need.) Its as simple as saving the ones you use the most to one empty channel so you dont have to go scrolling through looking for them. It gets a little more complicated if you want to make you own from scratch but the manuell (dubbed the pilots handbook) really reads like "for dummies" book.
Originally posted by IlikeTheSKA
If "Skinhead" Rob is a skinhead, then Nikes are Doc Martins.
Quote by Kaervek

Then I tried this: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-ToneLab-SE-Tube-Driven-Modeling-Floorboard-Processor?sku=150314

Vox ToneLab. The finest on the market, seriously.

Fully programmable, built like a tank. Try it before you buy the Boss, and you'll see what I mean.

Sorry for the double post but this is exactly what i like bout my XT live, Its got a steel bar so you dont stomp on the hand knobs and a steel frame everyhting is steel but the buttons you'd have to really try to break this sucker. Unlike those cheap digitechs everyone has (at least around here EVERYONE has one of those digitech multieffects) that seem like the plastic would get smashed to a million peices like a bad burger king toy.
Originally posted by IlikeTheSKA
If "Skinhead" Rob is a skinhead, then Nikes are Doc Martins.
Quote by TwoString
*snip*
What kind of music do you play Kaervek? How is the tonelab filling in your sounds? What other equipment are you using?

I play funk, 80's metallish stuff, rock, fusion. I'm using a Riviera head and a Mesa-Boogie cab, and when I use this rig I usually play with an '88 PRS custom.

The tonelab was the best pedalboard I've ever invested in. Works really well for me, sounds great.
Quote by capt_dammit
kaervek...you rock

Quote by guitardude34875
thanks again for the input everyone, I am still undecided (its kinda expensive, if you know what I mean, so I want to take a bit of time and not just rush out and buy one).