6th fret

l----------l----------l----------l----------l
l----------l-----X-----l----------l------- -l <--this note is G flat
l----------l-----X----l----------l----------l
l-----X---l-----------l----------l----------l
l----------l----------l----------l----------l
l-----X----l---------l----------l----------l

the thirteenth of B flat is G flat

the first one is what my guitar teacher told me, but the second one is what i thought it would be..so basicly the question is, Is the thirteenth of B flat either G flat or G?
go up the B scale, and count the notes in the chord as you go up thirteen, then look at where the not is on what string and then count up the fretboard
can you answer my question?

is it G or G flat
and its not the B scale, its B flat which is different
nearly all sites i checked however say that the second one is b flat 13

however now ive come across a new problem....

if a chord is say, Bb 9 (yes including the 7th)..how would you count up the scale to find the ninth? would you count Bb, Cb, Db etc.. or Bb, C, D etc...(and im aware in the key of Bb the B's and E's are always flat.) so which way would you count
do you want a Bb13 chord, or do you want a Bb7(b13)?
Check out my latest recording on my profile
i was asking for a Bb7(13) chord..but ive already figured it out..i need the answer to my other question in the other post
1-2--3--4---5---6---7
8-9-10-11-12-13-14

the simplest form to know what's what,instead of thinking of 14 notes there's only really 7
Quote by Épiphone
nearly all sites i checked however say that the second one is b flat 13

however now ive come across a new problem....

if a chord is say, Bb 9 (yes including the 7th)..how would you count up the scale to find the ninth? would you count Bb, Cb, Db etc.. or Bb, C, D etc...(and im aware in the key of Bb the B's and E's are always flat.) so which way would you count

It would have to contain the 7th for you to call it Bb9.

An easy way to count that might be to take a the key of Eb where Bb is the dominant, and count up in thirds.

Eb - F - G - Ab - [B]Bb[/B] - C - [B]D[/B] - Eb - [B]F[/B] - G - [B]Ab[/B] - Bb - [B]C[/B] - D - Eb... 

Takle those notes... Bb - D - F - Ab - C and in reference to the Bb major scale you end up with 1 - 3 - 5 - b7 - 9.. and voila, your Bb9 chord.
Yeah, first one is right.

But, if the Bb13 is being used as a dominant chord, it can be good to hit the first one, then slide into the b13 for an altered chord. I do this almost everytime I hit a 13 chord.

Btw, I have a lesson on Jazz chords pending.... It's been well over 4 months and still "waiting"