Page 1 of 2
This year out school decided to have a talent show since people have been bugging them for a couple years now. Anyway, my drummer and I(I'm the bassist) finally found a guitarist that can somewhat match our level of playing.

Here's the question.

What's an impressive song? We have to do a try-out to get on the date but we can't decide wether to go Orginal or what we should cover. If we play something too off the wall, might be a bit too much for them.

Plus our school is-70%HipHop 30% Rock.
Plus our school is-70%HipHop 30% Rock.

Those are not good odds man. Try some AC/DC, can't go wrong with that.
my band is playing Sad but True by metallica for our talent show...we're a guitar short, but bass fills in for the rythm just fine
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
i think that something like back in black or hells bells would be good enough for a school talent show we played crazy train at our recently and won, so something along those lines, thats kick ass
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
Cover, doesn't matter what as long as it's well known
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
Id do a cover unless you have a lot of time to come up with a really memorable song yourselves. Maybe some Nirvana or something would work.
an instrumental...for our talent show, it's going to be an epic instrumental
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
ya its best to do something a little maybe something power chordy? like nirvana or the clash (ya i know they didnt use many power chords but still) i would really reccomend should i stay or should i go andteen spirit, everyone will recognize em
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
Quote by Bloke_UK
70% hip-hop you say? Rage Against The Machine!

Or Faith No More!
Quote by agmoney429
should i stay or should i go right into i fought the law, both by the clash

i agree only you should play the dead kennedys version of i fought the law, it has cooler lyrics.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Bloke_UK
70% hip-hop you say? Rage Against The Machine!

+1
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
play for whom the bell tolls
gear:
Custom built Strat
Esp ltd EC-1000
Gibson les paul fadded dc
Line 6 spider II 30watt
Boss Ds1, DD6,Tu-2, NS
Alvarez af60ckelectro/acoustic
I'd say some maiden, or deep purple, and all that stuff.
But coz your school is full of gay rap lovers, you'll have to play stuff like linkin park or RATM
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Play what you want. Who cares if anybody likes it or not.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by flesh fries
my band is playing Sad but True by metallica for our talent show...we're a guitar short, but bass fills in for the rythm just fine

haha sad but true me and my friends always say temperture to piss off our friend that likes metallica- as for the song if you can do an original and sing half well with it hten sure but i would go for a cover specificly zeppelin maybe rock and roll or black dog just pick a comon one like those people love zeppelin even preps
edit: or for whom the bell tolls we covered that and everyone liked it but our school is more 40%rap 20% classic rock 40%metal
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by latinosuperstud
if i buy a les paul studio and walk out into public a man in a clown and/or gorilla suit named tyrese, will come attack me and/or rape me
Last edited by spiritinthesky9 at Sep 28, 2006,
Do what I did play David Watts by the Kinks (or the Jam version) exept change "David Watts" to the name of someone in the audience.
In my opinion, you should do an original. People will be more impressed with you if you perform a song you wrote.

P.S. I don't think the 70% hip-hop and the 30% rock thing matters. If its a good song people will like it.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
I think at like my school nobody cares if its original becuase nobody will remeber what you did. But if you do a cover that people know they'd remeber you and say that was sweet
Who cares what the rap kids think?? I say play something really heavy......they'll hate it anyway, might as well scare someone...
Last edited by Locomo at Oct 1, 2006,
I don't no why but people who love hip hop and rap really like acdc. This gangster ass kid comes up to me and asks if I've heard of AcDc I say yes and he's like ufck yeah man highway to hell is the ****!

And for the record my school is like 60%ska 30%classic rock and 10% everything else
I'll third Rage Against The Machine. Doesn't matter if you like rap or not, the riffs are just screaming to be performed live. Or something like that. God that was cheesy. But do Rage.
#2 member of the ''Guitarist that wished they could sing because they would make fantastic frontmen'' club.

PM Davidian to join.

Quote by potassium_39
dude your a walking talking metal making expert!!!

i bet this person sucks so bad emo people laugh

^0wned^
Quote by urik
I'd say some maiden, or deep purple, and all that stuff.
But coz your school is full of gay rap lovers, you'll have to play stuff like linkin park or RATM

im so sick of the fuc king rap bashing that goes on here

and ill 4th Rage
Member #2 of The Improve UG Forums Movement, PM Musical Meds To Join

[20:35] <Horrid> I'm gonna go gay for you.

(23:03:22) <OptimusPrime> I hate black people

DOES NOT HATE JOSH KLINGHOFFER
play Revolution Is My Name by pantera Or ****ing ANgel Of Death by slayer. Im sure all of your teachers would love you. Lol jp but who cares if no one know s the song just as long as you're playing it good. try something like uh..... Symphony of destrction or Stairway to heaven or sumthing like that idk.....
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Baby Got Back. Check for throwdown's cover of it. You could probably do that, minus the screaming.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
A good catchy original song thats well written is sure to do good with the crowd. If it's crap and doesn't flow and doesn't have like a distinctive chorus or nothing I wouldn't do it.
My band is playing a brand new original for our schools talent show, but were pretty well known locally, and everyone has been to our gigs and stuff, so we have them on board as fans, they know our style, not sure if an original would work in your situation.
you could do what my band did. we go to southfield high school, and we covered 'im so bored with the u.s.a' by the clash, but changed u.s.a. to S.H.S. hehehe....
I've seen emo-er.

Member of the "I am a Fan of Gaycore Wrestle-Metal" Fanclub.
Sleep Now In The Fire-RATM if your guitarist can do the solo, otherwise just keep the riff going where the solo should be.
Page 1 of 2