Page 1 of 2
I've got a talent show coming up ($200 grand prize), and I'm looking into a new acoustic) and I'm wondering what I should play. I want to play something good, so no emo, pop-punk, or Avenged Sevenfold, but I don't want to play anything too underground (AKA good). Basically, I need songs that are well liked, but I can keep my dignity playing.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Sep 16, 2006,
For talent shows you wanna do something simple to play, but can really rock the house if you do it right.. I dunno what to really recommend cause im dont know enough information.. What do you like? Are you playing with a band, or doing a solo? What kind of song do you want to play, a rock song? or something acoustic? .. Need to know these things..

A LOOOONG time ago (i graduated in 95) Me and 3 buddys formed a band and played in the talent show.. We played "Helter Skelter" By The Beatles.. Really simple song to play (the majority is just an open E chord) But we added more distortion too it, and really rocked it up.. Everyone loved it..
maybe Cowboys from Hell(if ur good enough), or as much as u don't like avenged sevenfold.... everyone seems to love that stupid "unholy confessions" song.
Quote by Soma3009

I'm wearing my batman outfit to school tomorrow. Only problem is, the legs are spandex. So, my balls competely stand out. Is there ANY possible way around this?

Quote by futurejimmypage
like my band wants to have like kickass nick names. names like synyster gates etc.
Quote by Bones420
For talent shows you wanna do something simple to play, but can really rock the house if you do it right.. I dunno what to really recommend cause im dont know enough information.. What do you like? Are you playing with a band, or doing a solo? What kind of song do you want to play, a rock song? or something acoustic? .. Need to know these things..

A LOOOONG time ago (i graduated in 95) Me and 3 buddys formed a band and played in the talent show.. We played "Helter Skelter" By The Beatles.. Really simple song to play (the majority is just an open E chord) But we added more distortion too it, and really rocked it up.. Everyone loved it..

I'm into alot of stuff, but mainly blues, metal, and hard rock. I want to do a song everybody's heard, but can still show off. I was thinking of doing something from Zakk Wyldes acoustic solo career, but no ones heard of it. And yes, I'm good enough for CFH (That solo really isn't as impressive as it sounds) but I think it would be too heavy for anyone in my school to like.
Dickless.
Serrana by Jason Becker just to impress people.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=87Iz3RHZNDQ
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Play "Walk" by Pantera then after the solo transition right into "F*cking Hostile" by Pantera and finish that song to end it. Or do it the other way around, either way that would be f*cking kickass.
Quote by Godly Moose
Serrana by Jason Becker just to impress people.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=87Iz3RHZNDQ

I would, but I can't sweep to save my life And walk/****ing hostile might be good, i just need a wah pedal, and an edited version of the ****ing hostile lyrics (school talent show :/). Any suggestions?
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Sep 16, 2006,
How about simple 3 string sweeping in C Major?(I'm talking about some Yngwie here, something pretty simple yet catchy, like Demon Driver.) It's actualy a pretty easy song.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

try an AC/DC song, the're fast ,loud annd people know the popular ones. I would suggest Thunderstruck, Back in Black, or Highway to Hell.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Quote by Godly Moose
How about simple 3 string sweeping in C Major?(I'm talking about some Yngwie here, something pretty simple yet catchy, like Demon Driver.)

Its fun and simple, but again, will anyone recognize it?

How does an acoustic version of Simple Man by Lynard Skynard sound? I really don't know mainstream stuff, has anyone heard that song?

EDIT: AC/DC sounds good, I just need a good singer for that style.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Its fun and simple, but again, will anyone recognize it?

How does an acoustic version of Simple Man by Lynard Skynard sound? I really don't know mainstream stuff, has anyone heard that song?

EDIT: AC/DC sounds good, I just need a good singer for that style.

Well depends, since Yngwie is one of the more popular mainstream shredders. Or you could do something everybody knows or has heard like not an overly complicated classical piece that lots of people have heard, and play it. Because always playing something complicated usualy will impress people.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Seed Awakening by Nevermore is a pretty kickass song. Takes some skills, and I don't know of a tab for the solo anywhere on the internet...
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

Quote by Bones420

Ya, i was in grade nine last year and i got together with three grade 12s and we did Come Together by the beatles. It was the coolest thing ever and of course everyone new the song and could enjoy it. The solo was as easy as ever for me and we rocked the house. So the beatles are the way to go.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
anything by Neil Young is good.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I've got a talent show coming up ($200 grand prize), and I'm looking into a new acoustic) and I'm wondering what I should play. I want to play something good, so no emo, pop-punk, or Avenged Sevenfold, but I don't want to play anything too underground (AKA good). Basically, I need songs that are well liked, but I can keep my dignity playing.

Freebird!
Quote by Ibanez_rawker
but I have a penis.... and when most guys have the chance to get some, they are gonna take it.... our hormones were going out of control and her 'rents weren't home.

Edit: she knew I wasn't wearing a condom.
At out schools rock-off we played For whom the bell tolls by metallica, it's easy as cake but still a frickin amazing and extremely energetic song; people loved it and it was probably the most fun I've had playing on stage.
Somethign that looks cooler/harder than it is. Tap with your ass backwards on a keyboard stand.
haha
Last year at te school talent show I played Like a Hurricane (12 min version) by Neil Young, we got yelled at for going to lon, but they said that we were too good to cut off. (our school doesnt have a winner)
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Acoustic- you could do under the bridge by the chilli peppers, be cool to do, i think, even though it's not metal
or you could play faith, you do the limp bizkit's version NO FLAME, it's easy, same guitar riff over and over again, and the lyrics are awesome, well i guess it would be nice...if i could touch ur boddy...
I say Hotel California latin style, and add little riffs and solos in between. I did it for my talent show, and people seemed to like it

ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Basically, if it sounds somewhat good, the audience is made up of non-guitarists, and you throw some tapping in there, they'll be impressed.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Fortunate Son (Creedence Clearwater Revival)?
Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd)?
TNT (AC/DC)?
Pittsburgh (Lemonheads; it's catchy)?
Smells like teen spirit (Nirvana)?
Rocking in the free world (Neil Young)?
Quote by Superpartydude5
At out schools rock-off we played For whom the bell tolls by metallica, it's easy as cake but still a frickin amazing and extremely energetic song; people loved it and it was probably the most fun I've had playing on stage.

+1

I did that for a show at my school and when we finished we got a standing ovation, we were easily the best act. I sang and ****ed it up a few times but i didn't give a **** and still came out smelling of roses. It was the energy.
Quote by Spynal

Man, if only we could have a thread dedicated to recommendations, that would be sweet. Maybe, we could call it ... The Hugfest .... no, that's no good? Metal-O-Rama? Nah.... oh wait.

I've got it...
The Official Metal Recommendation Thread
How about under the bridge by RHCP? That song has a cool intro, and some guitar work that has some GREAT rhythm in it to show off your skillz.
-XKR
Nutshell by Alice In Chains if no one mentioned it...such a great song if you can get some one else to play the solos in it...that's if youre still gonna go acoustic

In My Darkest Hour by Megadeth if you're gonna go full-on ****ING METAL.
Detroit Rock City demands people get up, everybody leave thier seats and move thier feet in the lyrics
well this year in the talent show my band is decieding between orion or call of the klutu with a solo impov at the end those would be good songs to play no singing needed
Uhh... some B.B. King? Thrill is Gone? Thats a nice tune.
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
Bullet With Butterfly Wings - Smashing Pumpkins
YES I'M THE GUY WHO GOT HIS PENIS STUCK IN HIS ZIPPER!!

Member #17 of "I Survived UG Pwned Day" Club

Member #59 of the Alter Bridge Rocks Club

Member #3 of the Boston Red Sox Fan Club

Member #2 of the "4chan.org Sucks Balls" Club
Page 1 of 2