I think that's what you call it. When you have a clean sound running through one cab and "dirty" (effects) sound running through another. You obviously need two cabs, but do you need two heads as well? It's a little confusing. I don't need to bi-amp or anything yet, but it's one of those things some pros do (Timmy C, guy from Muse) to get a really cool sound, and I was wondering how you do it.
and would a combo + cab(or whatever a speaker is called) be good for biamping? I'm intrigued by this..
i suppose one way to do it is to hook two cabs together, but you could put a distortion or od pedal between them. the other way would be to have two heads. and yes a combo would be suitable as well.
two heads and an A/B/Y pedal is the best way to do it, you could also do it with stack and a combo or two combos and get good results as well
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
yeah i've only seen it down with multiple heads. But if you rewired a 2 channel head you may be able to do it.
Up to now nobody understands about Bi-amping.
Bi-amping if done properly splits the signal after the pre-amp stage and then into an active crossover, the idea is to then separate the bass frequencies from the low mids/HFs.
You need considerably more power (around twice the wattge) to the bass cab as low bass requires/soaks up more power.
In a Bi-amp set-up a classic speaker config of 1x15" for bass and a 2x10 + horn for low mids and HF.
To do this properly you need :-
A pre-amp with a built in crossover, ie Ashdown, or a pre-amp and an active crossover.
A steroe slave/power amp to take the split signal from the crossover.
Separate cabs.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Recommended threads
Bi-Amp rig
theacousticpunk