yo,
for the neck relief test i prest the 1st fret and 14th and measured the gap on between the low e string at the fret wire at the 6th fret it read roughly 5 - 10 on a feeler gauge, is this good
Adjusting The Truss Rod

1) Always make sure that you're in your desired perfect tuning pitch.
2) Measure your neck relief and see whether its proper. Fret the 1st fret low E and the 19th/20th fret where the neck meets the body and see the 8th fretwire. There should be a clearance of at least 0.3mm-0.5mm between the low E and the fretwire.
3) If the string lays dead on the fretboard/fretwires or below 0.3mm (0.2 i still ok IMO), then you'd need to loosen your truss rod. If the string is higher than 0.5mm, then you have to much neck relief, you need to tighten your truss rod.
4) Always tighten or loosen your truss rod in 1/4th of a turn or 1/8th of a turn each time, and let rest between each turn for about 10-20 minutes to let your neck adjust to its new settings.
5) Check your neck relief by performing step#2 again and see whether its proper. Also, make sure that you're still in your desired tuning and re-check every now and then if your tuning runs off.
6) After you've accomplish to let your neck relief to be at least in between 0.3mm and 0.5mm, again, let the neck rest.

Tips:
- You can get extra hands and use a feeler gauge to measure your 8th fretwire or just simply capo the 1st fret. This is for more accurate measurement.
- Important* If your action is too high, that may also be the cause of your neck relief being higher than it should, i suggest that you restore the low E action to its factory setting (normally 2mm-3mm above the 12th fretwire) and measure your neck relief.

Helpful websites:
- http://projectguitar.com/tut/trussadjust.htm
- http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step3
- http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
does it really matter if it has an 0.5mm or 1mm (i have a small gap put it that way)
Just a rough estimation, actually if the gap is quite small then its fine. But if you wanna do it accurately, then yeah, you'd have to use a capo/extra hand + feeler gauge. But it cant be more than 0.5mm, or else you'd need to tighten your truss rod.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Adjusting The Truss Rod

- Important* If your action is too high, that may also be the cause of your neck relief being higher than it should, i suggest that you restore the low E action to its factory setting (normally 2mm-3mm above the 12th fretwire) and measure your neck relief.

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------

I have my action pretty high and so I had to adjust my truss rod to be around .3mm from the 8th fretwire. I like my action that heigh because it eliminates any fret buzz. Is there anything wrong with that?
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
I started out with measurements (.05) and then did it by feel. When you make adjustments do it in playing position. It might depend on your type of trussrod but mine's dual action meaning I can go both ways. Have the wrench on the rod while in playing position and hand on fretboard. Turn the wrench clockwise for 1/16th turn and you should feel movement of the strings against the fretboard. That shows you made changes. play the guitar. Check for buzzes. When it gets bad start backing off a little at a time. Soon you'll hit a sweet spot for playing. Your action should be a bit higher than normal while doing all that.

It seems to me that once you got the relief right the guitar just got easier to play. The main thing is that you have the guitar in playing position for any adjustments.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by smashingchicago
I have my action pretty high and so I had to adjust my truss rod to be around .3mm from the 8th fretwire. I like my action that heigh because it eliminates any fret buzz. Is there anything wrong with that?

If you like it then its ok
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^nothing wrong with it, but im wondering what type of guitar it is, that u need to have high action, to eliminate fret buzz.

have u tried adjusting at the bridge too?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
^nothing wrong with it, but im wondering what type of guitar it is, that u need to have high action, to eliminate fret buzz.

have u tried adjusting at the bridge too?

Yeah, I have adjusted the bridge -- that's how my action is so high. Honestly, I can lower my action significantly by several rotations of the bridge screw and it still sounds OK -- meaning that most notes play clearly, but I still have a few frets on certain strings that buzz slightly. But I am trying to get it so that no frets on any string buzz at all! That may sound a bit too extreme, but I just hate any fret buzz at all. I have also heard that high strings may the notes ring clearer and just sound better.

The guitars are an Ibanez SZ720FM and a RG1570 -- I have both of them with the action set pretty high. I am measure (using .5mm picks stacked on top of each other; not sure if that's an approve method of measuring action, but it's what I did) about 3mm over the 12th fret.

I just like the sound of high action better. Yes, it's a bit more difficult to play, but I think I can get used it? Agree disagree? Anyone else set theirs up like mine?
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
if ur set up that way, because u want to. then good for you that's fine.

if u have high action because of fret buzz, then well, u probably need to work on the guitar's set up.
of all my guitars, only one has high action. its an acoustic, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

yes, higher action helps ring out notes. but you can still ring out notes with low action, as long as the frets are all level.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
if ur set up that way, because u want to. then good for you that's fine.

if u have high action because of fret buzz, then well, u probably need to work on the guitar's set up.
of all my guitars, only one has high action. its an acoustic, and that's the way it's supposed to be.

yes, higher action helps ring out notes. but you can still ring out notes with low action, as long as the frets are all level.

Let's discuss this in absolute terms -- what exactly is your action over the low e and high e? Mine is measured about 3mm over the 12 fret, maybe that is high for you? Also, I am using .50mm picks stacked together. I can fit 6 .50mm picks under the low e string so that is how I am measuring 3mm -- not sure if that's a good way to measure or not.
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Quote by smashingchicago
Let's discuss this in absolute terms -- what exactly is your action over the low e and high e? Mine is measured about 3mm over the 12 fret, maybe that is high for you? Also, I am using .50mm picks stacked together. I can fit 6 .50mm picks under the low e string so that is how I am measuring 3mm -- not sure if that's a good way to measure or not.

Any care to offer up their measurements on 12th fret high e and low e?
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
My low E is 3/32" and high E is 2/32". What's that in metric?
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
i think my high e is a little higher than the low e because of fret buzz but im fine with it
Quote by smashingchicago
Any care to offer up their measurements on 12th fret high e and low e?

For all stock Ibanez direct from factory, the low E is 2mm above the 12th fretwire and the high e is 1.5mm above the 12th fretwire.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
For all stock Ibanez direct from factory, the low E is 2mm above the 12th fretwire and the high e is 1.5mm above the 12th fretwire.

And I raised mine just slightly so it's 3mm over low e and 2mm over high e. Does that sound too extreme? That's on my SZ720. It seems fine for me....

On my RG1570, I have to have it about the same because if it's any lower when I use the tremelo and increase pitch, the strings hit the fretboard and kills the note.
Gear:

- Schecter C-1 Classic

- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Quote by smashingchicago
And I raised mine just slightly so it's 3mm over low e and 2mm over high e. Does that sound too extreme? That's on my SZ720. It seems fine for me....

On my RG1570, I have to have it about the same because if it's any lower when I use the tremelo and increase pitch, the strings hit the fretboard and kills the note.

Preference, whichever rocks your boat
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
x2^

and 2-3mm isnt bad.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i recently adjusted my truss rod now i can fit 2 peiceses of paper comftably under the 8th fret wire