What exactly does it mean to play in a certain key. Like the key of E? Does it mean chords that center around the scale of E or something. And how does a capo tie into all of this? If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Quote by ishbu123
What exactly does it mean to play in a certain key. Like the key of E? Does it mean chords that center around the scale of E or something. And how does a capo tie into all of this? If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

basically, all the notes and chords for that matter (mostly) will be centered around e major. i dont know what to say about the capo.
when you put a capo on a guitar it makes the sound higher, there for it changes the key.
say your playing a song in E major, and you put the capo on the 2nd fret, thats a step up, so the key will go a step up to F# major.
Does anyone know how I can learn to play chords and notes around a certain key?
yes. read about chord progressions, and major scale construction, that should give you the best idea.
chord progressions will allow you to understand what chords sound well, good together, major scale construction will teach you what notes belong in what scale (key) and how each scale is constructed relative to the chromatic scale

Last edited by silvadolla at Sep 17, 2006,