So, I am trying to get into Berklee College of Music, and I was wondering if there is anyone out there that can give me some insight. How hard it is to get in, the most important parts of the audition process, etc. etc. If there is anyone out there that has made it into Berklee and could help me out, that would be most appreciated. If there is anyone out there that can help period, that would be most appreciated as well.

Also, I need to come up with a "well-known artist's solo or a standard song (including blues notes and rhythm changes) with improvisation." If anyone had any good ideas, that would be cool.

Oh yeah, I need alot of help learning to sight read....and fast!

*Sigh* I haven't played for very long, and am trying to do what many guitarists take a while to do and cram it all into a few weeks.

If I don't get a huge response to this thread, I suppose I will separate it into different threads.

Anyways, thank you greatly for your input.

- Savage-Banana
if you havent been playing very long you should build up experience before trying, also you need to have like two years of formal music training before theyll consider you and all that.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Thank you for making such a good thread! I am actually interested in attending Berklee too!
Quote by TweekGuitar
They are not heavy metal. They are pussy metal. They worship god.
I don't know how hard it is in America, but in Australia you would need at least 5 years experience on your instrument just to get by.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
if you havent been playing very long you should build up experience before trying, also you need to have like two years of formal music training before theyll consider you and all that.

Does that mean you probably wont be able to get in or that they just don't accept you? Same question for facesofhope

Also, is it easy for people from different countries to get in?
What exactly are the requirements?
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
In Australia ( dunno about other countries) there's theory exams and then there's practical exams on your instrument. you'd probably need about a level 5 theory and 7 or higher on your instrument. when you apply to get in you also need a port folio saying what you've achieved (exams, etc.) and after they've looked at your port folio you may get an audition and if that goes well you should get in. a kid at my school has been playing double bass since grade 5 and electric bass since grade 8 (now in grade 12) and he is an amazing player (he's played with the Queensland Chamber Orchestra) and he's not even sure he will get in. i don't knnw about people from other countries but i guess if they are good enough in a audition they should get it.
Are you able to afford Berklee? I heard it is very expensive.

Also, don't think that that is the only play to go for music. There many other universities, MANY that will still give you what you need to succeed.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by nightwind
Are you able to afford Berklee? I heard it is very expensive.

Also, don't think that that is the only play to go for music. There many other universities, MANY that will still give you what you need to succeed.

what universities would you suggest have good music programs and actually offer guitar? so far Berklee and MI are the only colleges i've heard of that actually have a guitar-based curriculum, but they are both outrageously expensive...what are the payments on a $20,000 per semester tution?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
what universities would you suggest have good music programs and actually offer guitar? so far Berklee and MI are the only colleges i've heard of that actually have a guitar-based curriculum, but they are both outrageously expensive...what are the payments on a $20,000 per semester tution?

Well this may be impossible for you, but there are several universities in South Western Ontario (canada) that offer guitar majors. Western in London being one, and University of Geulph in Geulph being another. UoG offers classical, jazz or electric guitar majors in preformance, or you can major in theory or music eduction. These are around $8 000 CAD per year, but it could be more for you if you're not a Canadian citizen - I'm not sure.

This may not be the course you're looking for, but I'm pretty sure it is. Check out their websites if you are interested.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Thanks for all the info, but if I could get more specific answers, that would be good. I have been in music for 8 years now, so I have plenty of experience and everything. I am an excellent saxophone player, I am always first chair district and am expecting state this year. So, I should be able to show them that I am a good musician, I just need to prove that I am good enough at guitar. I have done all the research, I know how much it costs and the requirements and everything, I know there are other schools, I know all of that stuff...I'm just set on Berklee. If you guys would be willing to help me out, that would be fantastic.

-Thanks
I think you should get in touch with either the people who conduct the auditions or the teachers themselves, and ask them your questions. They will, obviously, be able to give you the best and most correct answers.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour