Page 1 of 8
I've been a general metal fan for some time now but had never attempted to get into black metal until recently. From what I had been told Burzum and Mayhem were the bands to start with, so I downloaded some Burzum. Burzum is probably the worst music i've ever heard in my life. I understand that bad production is part of black metal, but i was just disgusted by the way it sounded. This is a serious question, how can you like it?
Gear:

ESP EX-102
Marshall AVT150 Half-Stack
Im not a fan of Burzum, but it's just different tastes I guess.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I tried getting into Burzum.

Failed miserably.
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't do to others what you wouldn't like others to do to you.
- Live and let live.
- Always tell the truth.
- If someone looks at you, just give them a nice smile they won't soon forget
Quote by deadmansdiary
if you dont like burzum.... you dont like black metal

i dont like black metal...
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
Quote by AngelGC

now you know that

EDIT : that sounded more insulting than it was meant to be
Quote by deadmansdiary
now you know that

EDIT : that sounded more insulting than it was meant to be

yes. it probably was
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
Quote by AngelGC

George Bush doesn't like "Black Metal."

I was listening to Ea Lord of the Depths. It was ok I guess
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I dont like Green Day, am I going to make a thread about it? no im not, no one cares what you have to think about Burzum so delete this gay thread.
Quote by Nelsean
George Bush doesn't like "Black Metal."

I was listening to Ea Lord of the Depths. It was ok I guess

thats why me and Gee Dub are buds. Imma add him on MySpace
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
Quote by dead_shall_rise
I dont like Green Day, am I going to make a thread about it? no im not, no one cares what you have to think about Burzum so delete this gay thread.

actually there is quite a few threads about how gay green day is. I wasn't saying "i don't like burzum", i was asking what the appeal of burzum is, maybe if I knew then i could pick up on it too.
Gear:

ESP EX-102
nobody cares. what is so appealing about green day to all those millions of preppy ****heads out there that love them? i don't know what it is, i just know i hate the music, but they seem to like it, who gives a ****.
Aww ****. I came in here thinking this was a real thread, as I was thinking of making one. Anyways, Burzum is ****ing awesome (one of the first BM bands i got into) and im hooked on it. Varg made some damn cool music. Try sitting at 3AM in complete darkness and listening to Burzum. Thats what I do. If tha doesnt work, nthing else will for you.
I can understand where the threadstarter is coming from.

Black Metal's a bit of a hit n miss thing... Stay with the more mainstream stuff, i.e. Immortal, and you'll be fine.
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Quote by twentyextysixx
I can understand where the threadstarter is coming from.

Black Metal's a bit of a hit n miss thing... Stay with the more mainstream stuff, i.e. Immortal, and you'll be fine.

Immortal is mainstream
Quote by xolax
Immortal is mainstream

In terms of black metal, in my opinion, yeah they are. (My comment was of course excluding bands that faggots would name, i.e. Demon Burger and Cradle of Faggots).
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Quote by twentyextysixx
In terms of black metal, in my opinion, yeah they are. (My comment was of course excluding bands that faggots would name, i.e. Demon Burger and Cradle of Faggots).

Ah, fair enough. But i wouldnt think that there is "mainstream" BM besides Demon Burger or Cradle of Faggotsthough.
^just because Dimmu Borgir are mainstream now dosent mean they didnt use to make some great music, you ****ing wannabe elitist.

Quote by deadmansdiary
if you dont like burzum.... you dont like black metal

Well black metal is a bloody diverse genre... theres a huge difference between for example, Immortal and Emperor.

i personally am not a fan of Burzum.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
I like Burzum ,I even have a piss poor tribute for Burzum.
Quote by xolax
Aww ****. I came in here thinking this was a real thread, as I was thinking of making one. Anyways, Burzum is ****ing awesome (one of the first BM bands i got into) and im hooked on it. Varg made some damn cool music. Try sitting at 3AM in complete darkness and listening to Burzum. Thats what I do. If tha doesnt work, nthing else will for you.

word

Black metal is an acquired taste, and some bands have better production than others. But maybe it's just not for you, Sir Threadstarter.

lol @ this thread...

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Night_Lights
^just because Dimmu Borgir are mainstream now dosent mean they didnt use to make some great music, you ****ing wannabe elitist.

Well black metal is a bloody diverse genre... theres a huge difference between for example, Immortal and Emperor.

i personally am not a fan of Burzum.

Chill dude, i was simply quoting what the other guy said and not trying to be some elitist douche. I never said anything about Dimmu. I like some of their stuff, and didnt mean to disrespect them in anyway dude. chill.
EDIT: Emenius Sleepus do you actually speak Russian?
At least if i had records i could legally sell them on ebay.....

Yes i have trouble listening to black metal. death>black
Quote by benjaminr
Burzum is probably the worst music i've ever heard in my life. I understand that bad production is part of black metal, but i was just disgusted by the way it sounded. This is a serious question, how can you like it?

I took a random guess and proved myself right:

Favourite groups:
Audioslave, CKY, Trivium, In Flames, Arch Enemy, Atreyu, Darkest Hour, Dark Tranquility, Killswitch Engage, The Haunted, God Forbid, Heaven Shall Burn, Lamb of God, Opeth, Slayer, Metallica, Slipknot, Pantera, Damageplan, APC, Tool, QOTSA, Chevelle

Now, allow me to turn the question on you:

This is a serious question, how can you like it?

Though exceptions in that list DO apply

You obviously got into black metal well before you were ready for it.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Burzum are one of the black metal bands that i like. Them, Emperor and Darkthrone. Maybe i just have to look into BM a bit more.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Burzum is good. You didn't like it because you haven't prepared yourself properly for it. The heaviest band on your favourite groups list is probably Slayer, you need more than that to really get into black metal on a first listen. Go for some Bathory.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I agree completely with what the threadstarter said.

But then again I love most black metal.
I totally agree.
I've been listening to meatl for about a year now and I recently tried to get into burzum.
the production quaity sucks big time I dont understand how could some1 ever like to hear such kind of incomprehensible noises and call em a song??
Quote by xolax

Emenius Sleepus do you actually speak Russian?

lol yup. I am Russian, I moved to Australia 8 years ago, but I can still speak the language and have some friends over there

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
i think that i read in an interview with dimmu borgir noyt long after they remastered stormblast that the old black metal albums really took pride in the poor production values...but if u can get past that u can hear some genuinely good tunes past the horrific distorion and white noise. i reccomend "vatican in flames" by burzum and destruction to experaince it properly...

give it a chance!
Some people ask me, what are you, the AC or the DC. I say i'm not any of them, I'm the Lightning bolt in the middle!! (bon scott)
Quote by Spynal
I took a random guess and proved myself right:

Now, allow me to turn the question on you:

Though exceptions in that list DO apply

You obviously got into black metal well before you were ready for it.

yeah....that list is about 3 years old. I changed it by the way. Anyways, a lot of what people are saying about BM is sort of making sense to me, particularly the thing about listening to it in the dark. I think maybe if there was a Burzum that had better production i might actually like it because i thought the riffs were kind of cool and whatnot.
Gear:

ESP EX-102
Last edited by benjaminr at Sep 17, 2006,
To the threadstarter one ****in' word.......atmosphere. Burzum and alot of black metal(to me) is mainly about the atmosphere of the music, seriously, listen to a song like Dunkelheit and you'll see what I mean, well atleast you should.

Oh and by the way, on the Dimmu Borgir thing...man, I really get sick of hearing this "ohh yeah Dimmu Borgir sold out and **** ohhh yeah i hate them now". It's ****ing ridiculous dudes and dudettes, you just can't ignore their previous masterpieces because they changed their sound over the years. I mean, all in all, it's still good music anyway. Stop bitching.
I'm starting to get an idea as i listen to it, still don't like it but now i'm at least understanding how people might.
Gear:

ESP EX-102
It's...ok, but I wouldn't call them a favorite group.

If you havn't seen Mike's (kirkiking's) sig yet:

EDIT:
Last edited by SGRocker0791 at Nov 21, 2006,
Quote by SGRocker0791
It's...ok, but I would call them a favorite group.

If you havn't seen Mike's (kirkiking's) sig yet:

yeah if nothing else varg is definitely a ****in psycho as far as i can tell.
Gear:

ESP EX-102
Quote by Soul Vomitor
To the threadstarter one ****in' word.......atmosphere. Burzum and alot of black metal(to me) is mainly about the atmosphere of the music, seriously, listen to a song like Dunkelheit and you'll see what I mean, well atleast you should.

Oh and by the way, on the Dimmu Borgir thing...man, I really get sick of hearing this "ohh yeah Dimmu Borgir sold out and **** ohhh yeah i hate them now". It's ****ing ridiculous dudes and dudettes, you just can't ignore their previous masterpieces because they changed their sound over the years. I mean, all in all, it's still good music anyway. Stop bitching.

I agree with that, I mean it's all about atmpsphere. Most BM is excellent great for atmosphere. But cmon, War and The Crying Orc are hardly atmospheric. I mean just listen to War. Absolutely abysmal.
Ah, you're right dude, but he really did make alot of atmospheric songs. Not all of them are. Funny though, on a song like War, you can make out the instruments alot more, buuuuuttt as you said, there's no atmosphere.
Yeah I mean alot of the stuff on Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Filosofem are very very atmospheric.
Last edited by BR00TAL at Sep 17, 2006,