Page 1 of 2
hey hey,
not sure if this is the right forum but i've heard that a new, better guitar can acually improve one's skill. Is this acually true at all? if so, how?
lyrics - the gap between the solos
It could be easier to play.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
I know I find that I learn new things with new equipment and a new guitar poses different challenges. If you go from an LP type to a shred guitar like an Ibanez or something you are gonna go wow, there's a whole bunch of frets up here I never used before! And that could help your desire to learn new things.

I reckon it is a combination of new gear and knuckling down to do what has to be done.
Mostly its all in your head, like when you put a mask on you go crazy cause you think know one knows who you are. Its pretty much the same thing. A better guitar can be easier to play, but it wont make you sound or play better.
What the hell is the internet?
Quote by Guglet
Mostly its all in your head, like when you put a mask on you go crazy cause you think know one knows who you are. Its pretty much the same thing. A better guitar can be easier to play, but it wont make you sound or play better.

Wrong.
i think new guitars make me sound better cuz im always playing them for the first 3 weeks i have a new guitar i never put it down it seems, so i end up practicing more like i should, and then i sound better, but i mostly stick with Gibson and ESP so ive never really had to adjust, but im thinking of getting a fender FMT tele and a Ibanez SZ320
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
If you got a new guitar that's easier to play and sound better then you will get better. You'll spend less time in frustrations. The most important thing IMO about a guitar is to enjoy it.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by Guglet

Thats bull and you know it.

If you have a cheap superstore guitar with a bad neck, terrible fret board, badly finished frets then its gonna be a bit more effort to play that than a decent guitar.

Also even some fairly good guitars can be an effort to play, i have to work harder with my Les Paul to get a good tone than i do with my Ibanez (thats why i wouldnt recomend a Les Paul for a beginner, there great but too much effort is needed)

A good guitar will be less effort to play so you can concentrate more on your technique and sound.

New guitars wont ever suddenly turn you into Slash, Jeff Beck or Hendrix. But a well made guitar thats a joy to play will enchance your playing experience. Its important that a guitar gives you a good playing experience, this will encourage you to play and practise more which will also help you in the long run.
No im pretty sure its all in your head. If you cant play you cant play and thats that. It dosnt matter how much your guitar cost.

Yes there are preferences when it comes to playing. You might like your guitar to be made out of a special wood and for you thats better or different strings. But none of these will make you better, its just easier to play. A good guitarist can make anything sound good.
What the hell is the internet?
no no
if u have a **** guitar. hard to play, stick with it, and when u get a good guitar, you'll find it so much easier you'll be better. crap guitar = better skill.
not always, if the guitar is actually uncomfortable to play, you'll just hurt yourself resulting in worse skill.

Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
A good guitar makes it easier to learn and develop your skills, because you'll be subjected to less trip-ups and be more motivated.

If you can't hit a particular series of notes, you want the reason to be that your fingers are not fast/accurate enough, so you can practice and make your fingers faster and more accurate. You don't want it to be because your instrument sucks.

In all skill/speed/endurance building activities, the focus is on making the exercise itself harder, not to be held back artificially by poor equipment. e.g. put another pair of 25Lb plates on that bar, instead of making the bar harder to hold.
Ibanez RG2570E, Epiphone VJH-PP, Celestion V30 Lopo Line 1x12, EHX Metal Muff, Yamaha Magicstomp MKII, Tascam CD-GT1 MKII
If you get a really nice guitar it can motivate you to play longer and find out what kind of sounds it can make with different sounds and techniques, thus making you practice and get a bit better...part motivation, part good gear.
Last edited by Eric 666 at Sep 20, 2006,
Being able to play your guitar definitely helps you improve.

I used to have a Series 1 (if you don't know who that's made by... don't worry, no one else does either). The strings were really high off of the frets.

I finally splurged on my first Ibanez, and just being able to push the strings down without as much effort has made me much better with chords and solos.
No, but it could be easier to play, and motivate you more to play, but not magically make you better.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
My high school football coach used to scream the cliche "you're only as fast as the slowest person on your team!" - I think it can translate well to guitar playing
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I have a MIA Strat that I play on all the time that has a little thicker neck than my other guitars. I recently got a RG1570 with the Prestige neck and it may be in my head I but I think I can play faster on the 1570 than I can on the MIA strat.
a guitar that is easier to play, sounds better, is more enjoyable will help you play more often and perhaps even help improve your playing. the catch is you still need to practice/play!
Yes, in a way it does. A new guitar that is (should be be) better than the previous one, and of which you are happier with, would psycologically motivate you more, and therefore the players skills would probably improve improve faster. It's always good if the guitar you play is one of which, you have no negative comments to make on it, because then you will want to play it more and more often.
However, it's the player that plays the guitar, not the guitar that plays the player if you know what i mean (In other words getting a new guitar doesn't automatically improve your technique, you still need to work!)
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
To an extent it helps. For example...used squire knock off with really high action compared to fender strat, brand new.

However, better gear does not mean better player...for example, if you have an epiphone custom, a gibson custom isn't going to help you do anything.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by Jaffaps2
I know I find that I learn new things with new equipment and a new guitar poses different challenges. If you go from an LP type to a shred guitar like an Ibanez or something you are gonna go wow, there's a whole bunch of frets up here I never used before! And that could help your desire to learn new things.

I reckon it is a combination of new gear and knuckling down to do what has to be done.

Lol? All the idiots saying you can't use the upper frets on a les paul always amaze me. Its all about what you're used to retard.. U probably started off with an ibanez, right? Wtf.. I find it easier shredding on the upper frets of my les paul than my strat. Or maybe you've just got ridiculously small hands? U know what they say about guyys with small hands, right?
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Well, I'd go as far as to say, yes. Because sometimes a brand new guitar can be easier to play, better intonation, etc. Also, new equipment always, always makes you want to practice more, it gets you motivated and excited.

Quote by refgerto
Lol? All the idiots saying you can't use the upper frets on a les paul always amaze me. Its all about what you're used to retard.. U probably started off with an ibanez, right? Wtf.. I find it easier shredding on the upper frets of my les paul than my strat. Or maybe you've just got ridiculously small hands? U know what they say about guyys with small hands, right?

Some of us don't like the weight of les pauls, some of us don't like gibson necks, its prefrence. I personally think a lot of les paul necks are too fat and thick, it's not smooth, also the fret size also bugs me at times.
P.S. I have small hands, but huge feet, don't know where that puts me.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
Last edited by AngilasGuy at Sep 20, 2006,
it will improve you in the sense that it will get you hyped and you'll pick it up more, I've only had my new guitar a few months and i've shot past the stuff i was doing on the strat but its all in the mind really, just made me more eger to play
Yes, it is all about preference. I mostly play my hellraiser avenger, with a longer, thicker, and wider neck than most guitars. And I love it. Where as it seems most people want the neck as skinny as they can get it.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by AngilasGuy
Well, I'd go as far as to say, yes. Because sometimes a brand new guitar can be easier to play, better intonation, etc. Also, new equipment always, always makes you want to practice more, it gets you motivated and excited.

Some of us don't like the weight of les pauls, some of us don't like gibson necks, its prefrence. I personally think a lot of les paul necks are too fat and thick, it's not smooth, also the fret size also bugs me at times.

That puts in the department of deformed humans. -Maybe you should get medical attention?
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Quote by AngilasGuy

The hands are all that matters. And what u said is exactly what i said: Its about what u're used to Try to keep up
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Quote by dertjoe
i think new guitars make me sound better cuz im always playing them for the first 3 weeks i have a new guitar i never put it down it seems, so i end up practicing more like i should, and then i sound better, but i mostly stick with Gibson and ESP so ive never really had to adjust, but im thinking of getting a fender FMT tele and a Ibanez SZ320

^thats basically it. You're in love so you play a lot. You play a lot and you get better.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
A guitar really only has to perform a few functions well: stay in tune, have a good
neck and frets so it can be intoned correctly with good action, and send a signal
to an amp( for an electric). That's it. Most guitar's do that very well.

If your guitar fits that category, you will be deluding yourself to think a "better"
guitar will give you more skill. Skill is something you earn. You cannot buy skill.
i went from my 1st axe which was a hondo strat copy with sticky fat maple neck, small/thin fretwire, and a rather round fretboard radius to an Aria Pro RS Straycat with satin finished slim neck, flat radius, jumbo fretwire, rosewood fretboard and my playing improved as a beginner instantly
Quote by Guglet
No im pretty sure its all in your head. If you cant play you cant play and thats that. It dosnt matter how much your guitar cost.

Says the guy who has a Nirvana avatar

But SERIOUSLY, a higher quality guitar will make you sound better (probably better electronics). It will also be easier to play because it is made better than a Squire, for instance.

However, if you don't have then will to practice, you won't get better, and therefore have a limited technique, based on the quality of your guitar.

So, practice first, buy later!
My Guitar
>Ibanez RG7620 (7 string)

Originally Posted by Outside Octaves
... ah, the bliss of ignorience!
why spend the big bucks on a new guitar if you cant even play the one you have?
Quote by Invictious
Wha...? Ask the local guitar shop for servicing?
They are ugly and bastards there though...
£30

That's outrageous.
Their penis is small too, and I am not that desperate
No thanks.
depends on the two guitars.

if it's a Huge step up, it will be easier to play.

you only really get better with practice tho.

in addition, a better amp can make u a better player.
for example, a crystal clear tube amp wont hide ur mistakes. you'll have to try harder to hit the correct notes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by edg
You cannot buy skill.

I beg to differ - haven't you seen "Crossroads"? It costs exactly one soul.

I wonder if Hell has financing...

Quote by 5150)Ed(5150
Says the guy who has a Nirvana avatar

Says the guy who owns an MG
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Sep 21, 2006,
No way. Everyone knows at least one talentless 14 year old who come into school toting a top of the line shred guitar but has no rhythm, no soul, no style, but is spoiled enough by their parents to splash out a grand on their axe, and everyone knows at least one poorer kid who plays whatever anyone puts in his hands and sets the room alight. Money don't buy you nothing.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
A new guitar won't improve your skill.

However, a new guitar can help to improve your skill at a faster rate.
Ibanez RG2550E Prestige
Squier Bullet
Roland Cube 30W
i would just like to say, it all depends on the guitar. some guitars will pickup things such as harmonics, pinch harmonics, tapping, and hammer ons/pull offs. others are just really ****ty and have poor pickups and barely pick up a thing unless you pluck/strum it.

also sometimes a guitar can just sound a whole lot better, so even if you play exactly the same it would just sounds better, giving the illusion that you have improved.

***would like to add that it wont improve but it will open up alot more options to your skills. things you know already would probably become easier
Last edited by Dan88 at Sep 21, 2006,
If you're learning an instrument, any instrument, it's fairly important to have one that fits you best. This means it needs to be comfortable and also suit your style of play. I played on a Squire Strat for ages, and when I finally upgraded to my ESP it felt like I could play so much more with so much ease. I can definitely shred faster on my ESP than my Squire :P
Page 1 of 2