Hey all,

I'm wondering what the official rules/laws about musicians/bands doing covers are. I mean in Canada and the US. More correctly, I'm wondering if anyone can point me to an official(government or whatever) site that I can learn this from? I'm currently working on an album and would like to put a few covers, but I don't want to until I understand how things work

Thanks in advance.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos
I never brag about how incredibly awesome I am.

you pay royalties on them, you usually dont need permission, and the royalties are usually taken out by the plant that presses the CD.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
That's probably because Weird Al is a knob .

I'd just give credit to the band. If your band ever gets huge and the CD gets officially released, then you'll find out what you need to do. You won't end up in prison for a cover.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
if you're planning on selling the cd for money then you should credit the original artist. but cmon man how many people are gonna buy your cd.. i really wouldnt worry about it
Thanks for all the input people, its pretty much confirmed what I thought. I'd credit the artist(s) regardless, afterall I only play music that I like.

Quote by Peaceful Rocker
if you're planning on selling the cd for money then you should credit the original artist. but cmon man how many people are gonna buy your cd.. i really wouldnt worry about it

Well, I'm worry about it, 'cause right of the bat(i.e. first 3 to 4 weeks) I know I can sell about 200 to 250 cds. Which isn't much I know, but its enough that I don't want to take chances. The music industry is going crazy, I'd rather not get sued or hauled off to prison right after my first release.
Chaos

Quote by Phobos&Deimos
I never brag about how incredibly awesome I am.

You wont get too much trobule , i mean is it a widely known cover? I'm pretty sure that the royalites are set and all you have to do is credit the artist. Unless it's a GNR cover , god knows what axl will do lol.
live, there is no problem, but if you record it and sell it, you must notify the orginal artist and get their permission or they can sue you.
Read my post. Not this.
so say you were too make a complete cover Cd like say Kill 'em All every song from that cd
and sell it at local venus and play it live Id have to go get metallicas permission? and credit them
so I would most likely go to elktra and ask for permission just like Hi Im Bob and my band would like to cover all these songs is that ok?