i've been playing guitar for about 2 years and i've decided that i want a effects pedal. I have about $400 AUS. Should i buy a specific effect pedal eg. wah wah or just a multi effects pedal
Well first of all, whats your guitar and amp setup? and what styles of music do you play?
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
What sounds are you looking to achieve, and what've you already got?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Digitech makes good multi effect pedals and you can get an alright one for about 400. The boss DS-1 is a great distortion and it is very cheap. You can get them for about 40 dollars. Is AUS Australia.
I have a 15 wat marshall amp with a tom delonge squire strat. I play pretty much any thing from Nirvana to The Strokes.
Last edited by dunebuge6969 at Sep 17, 2006,
I would go with single effects, generally far superiour to multi's. A wah is always a good choice for starters. I would go with a Vox, realitivly cheap and many consider better then Dunlop Crybaby the other front runner for wahs under $100.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by dunebuge6969
I have a 15 what marshall amp with a tom delonge squire strat. I play pretty much any thing from Nirvana to The Strokes.

oh boy...

Ok. I cant stress enough how important it is to have good BASIC, essential gear. Basic essential gear being a good guitar, and a good amp.

I would strongly recommend using that 400 bucks to put towards a good axe and a good amp. Then after that then you can start building up the other little things.

Its like..erm...its like buying a Ferrari engine, a top-o-the-line stereo system, an in-car TV with an x-box, racing seats, and a cool 'New Car Scent' air-freshener...and trying put all of that into a 92' Geo Metro.
I dunno 400 AUS, but its probably more than US since our economy has gone to crap, but lets say i had 400 US dollars and wanted to buy gear id save up another 150 or so, then get a standard HSS Fender Strat and then use the rest to get the best amp for 200 or so.

If you absolutely have to keep what you do have, then id look into digitech or boss mfx
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
yeah i'm not a very serious guitar player it more a hobby than anything else. I just want the pedal to explore some new sounds
Quote by dunebuge6969
I have a 15 wat marshall amp with a tom delonge squire strat. I play pretty much any thing from Nirvana to The Strokes.

*Dies a little bit inside*

Hmm, I'd say get new gear, but that'll be pricy, just try out a load of pedals in shops and buy what you like.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30