so i just got the crazy idea to try to make a fretless,scalloped, guitar.
do you guys thik it would work?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
It's pretty pointless imo. Either scallop it or make it fretless, doing both is kind of counter-productive.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
well on a scallop u scalop in between the frets where you play, but on a fretless you play where the fret would be, so its just gonna be pointless and retarded, but good try
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
It's don't think it's a complete dumbass move, I remember reading Yngwie got the idea to scallop by repairing some instrument that was fretless and scalloped (the Scalloped loops acted as the frets)
What does scalloped mean?

Don't hurt me
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Well since it's already fretless, you can do whatever you want between the frets, makes it triangle or penis shaped, but it won't become a fretless.

Why bother with fretless with you are going to scallop, and why bother scalloping when you are going fretless

reminds me of a dude, SCOLLAP..

Scollap is a type of weird fungus that grows on your penis and on the fretboard, it makes it sharper.
Quote by Kensai
What does scalloped mean?

Don't hurt me

Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
it just wouldnt work. at all.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
the whole point of scalloping is so your fingers dont touch wood when your fretting notes, the strong only touches the metal fret and your finger only touches the string, not the fretboard....it wouldnt work at all.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
it probably won't work unless you use like really, really, really heavy strings. when you make a guitar fretless, you have huuuuuuuuuuuge sustain and clarity probably because the string doesn't resonate nearly as much do to less weight. unless you use heavy strings and very heavy fretboard wood, it won't work.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
^^But if you were using heavy strings it would erode your fretboard even faster, however heavy the wood is.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
errr wont doing that be the same as having frets, each "ridge" will act as a fret so i dont know why you would do that, its a waste of time and effort plus it looks sht