Help me please. Yesterday my band was practicing a new song, and I didn´t know it. I started looking at the guitar and he was just doing a powerchord in the last 3 strings(with the G string being open) and I asked my guitarist for notes or the name of the chord and he just said "do it like this" and proceeded to play the song. How can I make a decent bassline if that kind of stuff happens?
Figure it out by ear... thats how I do it without asking my guitarist. If I had to ask my guitarist every single chord he was playing, I would be kicked out of the band lol.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
do it by ear man, or get him to tab out the guitar part, and then figure out what key its in and all that, but for me i always do it by ear, mostly because i have minnimal knowledge of music theory, i just know what sounds good.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Learn the notes on the guitar and basic chord construction. Not too hard, and also, tell your guitar player to stop being a dick and tell you the notes. A band isn't gonna be anything if the guitar player is the only one playing the song right.
My guitarist knows no music theory whatsoever, so when he writes songs he doesn't have a clue what he's playing...which leaves me having to figure out the whole thing by ear...! It can be done, but it is a pain...!

Just get him to play you the song but rather than playing the full chords, get him to play just the root so you know the basic chord progression, then just experiment from there onwards...
I have a noob question: When a band is writing music, what happens? Does the guitar think of a song and the bass plays according to the guitar, or is it the other way around?
Quote by fimbulwinter
I have a noob question: When a band is writing music, what happens? Does the guitar think of a song and the bass plays according to the guitar, or is it the other way around?

there is no concrete way of writings songs, just , if the bassist thinks of a killer bass line then he should bring it to the guitarist. And if the guitarist thinks of a really kool riff then take it to the bassist, drummer etc.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
^I would say either or, it depends on whatyou want to do, like he can bring in this progression/riff and you can have him right it out or record it or something and work on it together or at home by yourself, and of course vice versa
pick up a cheap acoustic guitar and learn the chords. It will save you so much trouble in the long run.
The lowest note he is playing is usually the root note. Go from there.
Yeah when jamming to songs I don't know, I give up on beign an individual, happy, interesting bassist and do roots until I get a sense of the song.

Of course, what the thread starter could do is lower his volume to 0 on the bass, and just pretend to play while rocking out. As long as you look cool, that's all you really need.
haha
I'm sorry but the people who said "learn it by ear" are way off. It is a highly innefficient way for a beginners to learn a song. The guitarist should tell you what f!cking chords he is playing - i would imagine the reason he is not is because he probably doesnt know which chord he is playing. The easiest way would be to give you a chord sheet. Sure if you have to work it out by ear, then you will have to. but working out five new songs by ear will take far longer than someone telling you what chords they are playing.

I'd say you all need to learn some theory so you can communicate. Music theory is the language of musicians remember.
Quote by Applehead
I'm sorry but the people who said "learn it by ear" are way off. It is a highly innefficient way for a beginners to learn a song. The guitarist should tell you what f!cking chords he is playing - i would imagine the reason he is not is because he probably doesnt know which chord he is playing. The easiest way would be to give you a chord sheet. Sure if you have to work it out by ear, then you will have to. but working out five new songs by ear will take far longer than someone telling you what chords they are playing.

I'd say you all need to learn some theory so you can communicate. Music theory is the language of musicians remember.

yeap,i kinda agree with that. If i'm in such a situation,i normally just look at the
guitsrist's fingerings or just blast it by ear. I keep a sheet by my feet just in case i
forgot the notes for new songs especially.
I say do it the lazy way and just play what he plays on the top string (for a 4 string, the E), but that just me.

EDIT: If that dont work, punch him in the face till he helps you out lol. j/k unless it works.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Last edited by silentdob at Sep 18, 2006,
Depending on how you work, you should either play by ear or tell the moron to tell you the root or chord lol. Some people in this world are naturals at playing by ear, they can just hear the pitch, and mimic it. If you're that kinda person, then listen for the root/lowest note in the guitarist's chords. If not, then threaten to bash him over the head with your bass unless he gives you the chords. =)
Quote by Applehead

I was playing with him today and I discovered that he doesn´t know the chords he is playing, I had to make him play it reaaaally slowly and it´s all cool now
i agree with applehead on this one, it would tkae all ****en day to learn a song by ear, especially if you've been playing for a year or less.

just tell him to shut up for a second and show u what he's playing slowly, 5 minutes of explanation saves a whole day of work.

and as a side note, usually when you write a song the guitarist thinks of a killer riff and shows it to the band or the singer has some verses and you make something up over it or the bass makes up a killler riff shows it to the guitarist the guitarist steals it and shows it to the rest of the band and makes you play something relaly simple and yep.
Mess about on your bass and come up with a really cool bass riff and show it to the band, then when he askes you how to play just do what he did
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->
Just find the root, and as long as you know little bit about theory you can start off with a basic bass line, and as you learn the song more you can just beef it up a little bit. (My bands guitarist knows no theory, so I have to do everything myself when we are writing songs)