is it necessary?

ive been playing for around 2.5 years and i have never thought abuot picking alternatly.

i mean i pick alternate, but like when shredding, i dont think about it and when going from one string to the next i do 2 downstrokes or something like that.

my question is, will this hinder my ability to improve? could that be the reason my timing is sometimes a little off during face melting solos?

if so, how can i relearn to alternate pick strictly?
its very hard to learn to alternate pick fast. Theres no real special trick just start alternate picking everything.
Just do whatever you feel comfortable with, if its bothering you then try and work on down then up strokes when changing strings but if it doesnt really matter that much then just practice at getting faster while doing that!!!!
so you're telling me that everything i ve learned so far i ned to learn again but making sure i alternate pick?
i mean stuff like this:

-------------------
----------------------------
---------------------^--\/--^
---^--\/---^------12-13-15-
--12-13-15--------------

EDIT: how do you make little up down up down strkes thingies on code?
Last edited by jpetrucci5655 at Sep 17, 2006,
no no no!!!! continue with economy picking!!!! it's way better. economical = less movement = more potential for speed & control
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
Quote by jpetrucci5655
so you're telling me that everything i ve learned so far i ned to learn again but making sure i alternate pick?
i mean stuff like this:

-------------------
---------------------^--v--^
---^--v---^------12-13-15-
--12-13-15--------------

EDIT: how do you make little up down up down strkes thingies on code?

use v's instead of \/
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by gynther flynt
no no no!!!! continue with economy picking!!!! it's way better. economical = less movement = more potential for speed & control

+1
Quote by gynther flynt

i hope that was sarcasm... you can move twice as fast with alt picking than you can with down picking
yeah but with economic picking i cant always realy control the speed, like ill be playing the 3 notes with the same amount of time between each, but since i "sweep"onto the next strings it goes much faster, and so my timing is off.
Relearn those patterns that you have problem with economy picking using alternate picking. But don't try to learn the same pattern with both techniques, you will just get your muscle memory confused.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by jpetrucci5655
yeah but with economic picking i cant always realy control the speed, like ill be playing the 3 notes with the same amount of time between each, but since i "sweep"onto the next strings it goes much faster, and so my timing is off.

If you can economy-pick without thinking about it, you're probably fine and don't need to force yourself to strictly alternate pick.

I use economy picking all the time and it's what feels comfortable and natural to me. No point in trying to repair what isn't broken.

And if you have problems with timing, use a metronome.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Mad Marius
And if you have problems with timing, use a metronome.

just what i feared

oh well, at least theres room for improvement (LOTS!)
alt picking I find seems to lessen the strain in your wrist also. Do it, its worth any initial fustration ; P
I used to economy picking but my guitar teacher made me change to strict alt picking and I havent looked back sence, made riffs that I couldnt play before much easier with alt picking. Also I had the same problem as you, when I switched my timing suffered a bit but a few months of metronome exercises helped me tons. You just need to get used to it.

But its up to you I guess, What works for some may not for others... either way good luck..

Just as an example (cuz of your name) John Petrucci uses strick alt picking and he has all the control and speed you would ever need...
Quote by deadmansdiary
i hope that was sarcasm... you can move twice as fast with alt picking than you can with down picking

You speak the truth.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by deadmansdiary
yea pretty much, everything is supposed to be alternate picked

..hmmm...can u give me some reason y everything's suposed to be alt picked? where did u get this bs from??
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will be at peace" -Hendrix
Why are you afraid? What can the world do to you? People can laugh at you, it will do them good-laughter is always a medicine, healthful.
Quote by Paradigm Shift
Just as an example (cuz of your name) John Petrucci uses strick alt picking and he has all the control and speed you would ever need...

thats the reason i thought of change, cause he says you should try alt picking as much as possible.

i guess ill just have to relearn everything

strict alternate picking stuff is so damn hard though. what would be a good start to practice? i'd like to get more familiar with it cause i play shred stuff, and i dont want to get a bad habit by practicing on fast suff.
(sorry if this is a bit hard to understand)
I practice on alot of chromatic scale exercises, and switching up between playing each note once, 2, 3, and finally 4 times, start the pattern with down stroke and then doing them up right... Practice any other scales, 3 notes per string scale patterns work well too, I also make up riffs from the minor pentatonic scale that move up and down the neck and such...

you can also just put on the metronome and just practice alt picking to it (hold any note or none at all, doesnt matter) I usually pick 4 times between each beat and indent the first note that matches the click of the metronome (basicly hit it harder then the rest of the notes so you know you're in time) and do it with up and down strokes, and then try 3 notes between a click which is harder sence you end up on a different stroke each time its over.

Those are some basic exercises that help me, you can find tons more online.. but yea you have to use a metronome to help you stay in time..

Quote by killer1201
..hmmm...can u give me some reason y everything's suposed to be alt picked? where did u get this bs from??

Well for one John Petrucci said it and the man never makes mistakes... so I wouldnt question him about it...
Quote by deadmansdiary

I don't think you know what economy picking is. its not all down strokes. economy picking means u go from downstroke to downstroke when changing strings down and upstroke to upstroke when changing strings up
I started out doing all upstrokes for lil phrases such as the one you showed. I dont kno why but that was more comfortable for me. but lately ive been alt. picking EVERYTING!! its easier and more efficient, bt u look cooler goin madd fast with downstrokes! haha. metallica used alot of downstrokes, but they used alt. picking too!
So if you want to love me then darlin' don't refrain,
Or I'll just end up walkin' In the cold November rain

ӨήӘ
ŝ
ỴØǙ
ĿÎҜξ
Ǐ
ĐӨ...
i just pick waht feels natural..like this one song...you play the same riff twice and each time i pick it differently....i just go on instinct...and feel
BURY YOUR DEADALIVE!
economy all the way
my guitar teacher alt picks strictly but he told me it didnt really matter and that i was better off just economy picking
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
Quote by jpetrucci5655
is it necessary?

ive been playing for around 2.5 years and i have never thought abuot picking alternatly.

i mean i pick alternate, but like when shredding, i dont think about it and when going from one string to the next i do 2 downstrokes or something like that.

my question is, will this hinder my ability to improve? could that be the reason my timing is sometimes a little off during face melting solos?

if so, how can i relearn to alternate pick strictly?

its not necessary, but if you want to do it, go ahead.
Read my post. Not this.
i think it would help my timing problem.

the problem only occurs on fast stuff, like shred. rifing is completly cool and slow phrases and such. just the damn freakin solos.
wait a minute, does someone think economy means down picking? it means to use alternate picking unless there's a faster/easier way to get to a string = sweeping.
try it like this:

1. strum a chord.

2. hold the same chord, but now try to strum it with alternate picking, so pick every string separately.

3. repeat this many times

4. after hearing them both many times, which was faster?

just because you can't control your sweeping doesn't mean it's impossible! it requiers practice, just like the guitar itself.
and if your timing screws up - even if it doesn't -, use a metronome! that goes for every single alternate and economy picker out there.
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
Last edited by gynther flynt at Sep 20, 2006,