hey guys, the other day i went into the shop for a new set of strings for my electric and told the guys i wanted a set of light gauge strings. So he reaches back and gets them and im off. But when I get home, I realize he actually gave me super light strings. Since I didn't have tiime to go back i just put them on any way. Obviously they are really easy to hold down, but when playing fast solo stuff and slides, they give me problems because the string bends too easy and it just feels really awkward. So does any one else think the string gauge really makes such a big difference? Thanks in advance.
I agree completely. I play a strat with 11's and occasionally 12's, and it feels quite awkward to play anything less. I went to this party a few weeks ago that had a band playing covers. Anyway, someone told the guitarist that I play, so he gave me his guitar (a Tele with 9's) to fill in for him on a few songs...and it was really difficult. Every bend went way too sharp and my vibrato was ****e.

Dangnabbit.
Guitars
"Dakota" - Fender Splatter Strat
"Jacqueline" - Maton CW80
But once you got used to it wouldnt having lighter strings make playing a lil easier?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Probably, but heavier strings sound better.

I've never really noticed a difference in tone when it comes to string guage. I agree with you though, I also prefer heavier strings, but not because they're supposed to sound better, but becuase they're more comfortable with me and they break less easily.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Yeah, I hate playing light strings now. I play 13s, so because of my callouses I can't even feel 9s or 10s anymore...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I have mainly used 9s on my electric and I have no problem with bends and vibrato. It just takes getting used to.

But yeah, it seems the heavier the gauge, the better the sound.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
i think 12's are my favorite, but my tension always gets fuc*ed up with any strings heavier than 11's.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
I play with 9's and not problem at all with bending and stuff like that. Its about to get used to it. They maybe affects about the playability, but not that much i think.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
i play with 11's with the three bottom strings from a heavy pack to make a medium/heavy set. right now though im playing .0105's. its some light plus guage and its pretty close to playing 11's. but i usuall dont go lower than 11. its really weird to play 9's i find. its too easy and ill end up bending to far. i think they sound small and weak too. like this past weak i had heavys on my guitar and me and my friends were jamming. my guitar sounded so strong and full and theirs sounded just weak. it didnt help that i also play through a bass amp lol. but even my friends through a bass amp is not as good.

but 9's or 10's are easier to do fast stuff i find because you can hammer on easier i find. plus you can just bend and do things faster with out as much effort. but you will get used to the heavier strings and it wont really matter after that.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Sep 17, 2006,