Hey guys, on my Floyd Rose bridge, the bridge seems to be steep, meaning the bridge is slanted, the back end is up in the air, and the other end is pointed down, it looks like this .... / ... not this --- . I hope you know what I mean, and any help would be great .

Thanks guys!

-Steve
Attachments:
guitar help 2.jpg
Last edited by Steve.T at Sep 17, 2006,
did you change the gauge of strings you usally use? Did a spring come undone? if you went to a higher gauge string you need to add a spring.
Here is a picture of the springs and such, perhaps it could help. And no, there are 3 springs, and I have been using the same gauge for quite a while now.
Attachments:
guitar help 3.jpg
you need to tighten the trem claw, so see on that second pic theres the springs, then that plate on the left with two screws? well tighten up those screws then re tune, tighten retune etc until the bridge is parrallel to the body and in tune, looks like you may need to add a spring though because it doesnt look like youve got much room to move just with the trem claw
Quote by suicidalmoose
is it just me or do those springs look slightly longer than the norm ...?

bigger string gauge calls for more spring tension which will stretch out the springs more. i suggest ts you go get another spring
Well, I've had 3 springs for ever, and never switched gauges, but I had to remount the bridge once, and that was recently so that is the cause, now, does it matter where the springs are being "hooked" onto? Or should I just add another spring/retighten. If I add another spring, do I need to unscrew the screws more so when the next spring is on theres not TOO much tension? Things like that would help, and again, I've always had the same gauge/amount of springs.

Thanks guys!

-Steve
Hmm, did you take off all the strings at once? like you'd do with a standerd bridge guitar?
What gauge is this on? With the bridge so pulled out like that, issit still out of tune?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
To the first question, yes, all of the strings on my guitar were CUT off by my brother, thanks little brother. Secondly, on my guitar I'am using a 10-46 gauge (10-13-17-26-36-46) and yes, the guitar goes out of tune no matter how many times I tune it.
yea strings off all at once is the main part of problem, the same thing happened with me, i never knew that you had to do it one by one so mine was angled, jus keep tuning, i think its just the tension, which will sort itself out after some time.
Beggles

Quote by the humanity

if he does not post pics, he obviously has installed a pickup and bridge on his house broom for some brutal sweep picking.

Take the Springs you do have and instead of having them connected straight to the tremelo claw have the two outside springs diagonal and the middle straight. If that doesn't work you may want to get either another spring or tighten the claw. That's the only suggestions I have. Or you could switch to a 5 spring set up but then your tremelo would be rendered useless.
Yea, I thought of doing that, because I always see the 3 springs like this /|\ ...
not like this | | |. I will try doing that I think that will solve the problem.
Quote by Steve.T
To the first question, yes, all of the strings on my guitar were CUT off by my brother, thanks little brother. Secondly, on my guitar I'am using a 10-46 gauge (10-13-17-26-36-46) and yes, the guitar goes out of tune no matter how many times I tune it.

ya, thats your problem and hit your brother as you now have to reset the locking system, this can take well over an hour and thats if you well used to doin it.

Ok. I dont know what needs to be done when the system needs to be reset but others do!..
Just to be honest, I broke the strings, unaware of what would happen, now that thats cleared up... I will try to reposition the springs, any tips on how to do so? Should I put on more springs so when I take one spring off of one side, it doesn't go uneven due to the tension? And why would it take one hour? Thanks!
Arrange your spring to this position /|\ (bottom is trem block) and then follow this guide. 3 springs should hold 10s just fine, if it doesnt, then it probably needs changing coz of overstretched.

Tuning Floyd Rose:
1) Loosen the locking nut
2) Set your fine tuners to middle position
3) Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again.
4) If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body.
5) Be patient
6) If you're happy with your tunings and your bridge is well centered, lock in the nut
7) Tune again using the fine tuners

Also some tips - You might want to have at least 3 springs and after following the tuning method above, tighten the 2 claw's screw for about 1/8th or 1/4th more. This is to prevent your floating bridge from getting stuck to the knife edges on the posts (action studs) after you bend notes. You can ignore this if your bridge/trem is reliable (e.g. Edge Pro, Edge, ZR, Lo-Pro Edge, Original Floyd Rose, Licensed Floyd Rose by Kahler/Schaller/Gotoh). But still you may face this problem even if your bridge is very good.

Stretch the strings first if they're new

More info on tuning floyd roses - http://www.floydrose.com/originaltremolo.html
Info on changing strings - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/features/steal_this_video_re-stringing_guitar.html
Picture guide on how to perform the #4 step mentioned above - http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/floydrosetremolo.htm
http://www.jemsite.com/tech/1setup.htm#step1

------------------------------------------ madpickin03®------------------------------------------
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Mad pickin' you couldn't of said it any better bro. Floyd Rose tremelos are tricky, but fun as hell. Rock on' Stevie T.
Thanks mad pickin, I really appreciate it this, now I don't have to wait a week or two and pay cash to get this fixed, I'm going to work on it as soon as I can, I'll tell ya how it goes if I remember to :P thanks again guys!

-Steve

If you have anymore questions, plz post another thread in the EG section, im not around here that much.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic