Hey everyone. Now this may sound idiotic to some, and obviously the easy aswer is, buy a les paul. But for a 15 year old (nearly 16 :P) who hasn't got a job, I can't afford to be buying another guitar simply because I want a different sound. I'm getting a Fender Standard Fat Strat for my 16th, but it was close between that and a les paul. I've heard people say that you can make a strat sound like a les paul, but you can't make a les paul sound like a strat. Now I would like to know, what would I have to do, to make my strat sound like a les paul. I have a line6 spider 2 112 (sucks I know) but I am quite content with the sound coming out of it, and I don't plan on buying a new amp for a while, so please no suggestions on a new amp. So basically, how could I make my strat sound like a les paul (without buying a new amp)?

Sorry for all the typing, sorta run away with it a lot.

Thanks in advance.
Turn up the low mids, select position 2 on the strat, turn down the tone controls on the guitar a bit. Turn down the treble slightly for a less bright sound. Block up the trem.
i don't know if you could, unless the strat is mahogony. les pauls get their big sound from the combo of mahogony and a maple cap, with a set mahogony neck and humbuckers. strats are usually alder, with a bolt on neck, and single coils. (fat strat has one humbucker)
You can't do it easily. You can find things that'll fatten the sound out, but its not easy to get the Les paul's dark meatey tone.
http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Accessories&categoryid=32&catalogid=131
^ I installed something similar in my mexican strat (not EMG) and it helped. I bought one from axesrus.com

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/effectsdescr.shtml
^ This can help give the SC's a little more juice and boost the sound up a little.
You can also buy a humbucker sized single coil, although they usually dont sound as big as a normal HB.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Last edited by StuC at Sep 17, 2006,
Hey thanks for the suggestions so far. Remember i said fat strat, its H-S-S config. I got the fat strat because I figured it would atleast come closer to getting a les paul/other Humbucker guitars tone, but obviously the les paul would be tonally different, so I'm looking for ways to make my strat sound more like the les paul.

Thanks for all the posts so far.
^Yeah smart idea. I Think an Eq pedal is a good idea to! Boost the mids andlower register a bit, id reccomend you to change the humbucker. A compressor could be a good idea to (and then use it as a sustainer) to get those typical sustaing Les Paul notes
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah I planned to get a Boss CS-3 when I get some more money. I was thinking about swapping the pickups out maybe at christmas. So the main characteristics of the Les Paul is a dark voicing from the mahogany body, and lots of sustain. The sustain I can get using that pedal I'm hoping, and for the dark voicing, would it simply be playing with the EQ, possible turning up the bass, rolling back the mid and treble? Or would there be something else I'd need to do. I think I prefer the idea of using a pedal or something to make it sound more like a les paul than actually doing something to the guitar to fix it pemanently, because sometimes I wouldn't want it to sound like a Les Paul, even if it's just the humbucker. EG. when I want to play iron maiden.
Close? Maybe. But I don't really see it happening. The reason the Les Paul sounds like it does is because of that massive, 8 pound slab of wood called the body.

Actually, no. I take that back, you could probably get the sound pretty close, but nowhere near the kind of sustain. I dunno, though. Anyways, since it isn't your 16th yet, why don't you just change what you want?
I chose the strat because it would suit what I play, I like it and everything. But I wanted to be able to make it sound like a les paul because alot of music I play is on a les paul aswell. So if I chose to get the les paul, I'd probably be on here asking how to make it sound like a strat.

Also I doubt I could get anything that can do both the strat and les paul sound, if there is such a guitar, please suggest
Last edited by This_Kidd at Sep 18, 2006,
What you should do is get the Fat Strat, change your EQ so it's not as bright as usual.

If you're not happy with the humbucker, change it to somethin' more suitable.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah I will be getting the fat strat, because I play some metal stuff and humbucker stuff. So do you think if I put in a decent humbucker, Tweaked the EQ and got the Boss CS-3 it would come close to a les paul sound?
You don't need a Boss CS3 with it, Strats have great sustain, and with a humbucker more suited to your style, there'll be even less need for one.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Sweet, I didn't know strats had good sustain tbh. Fair enough *crosses CS-3 off list*. Thanks R_H_C_P. One last question, would the SD JB be a good choice for humbucker? I guess it would need to be good at metal and rock which uses humbuckers, 'cos the single coils could cover the other sounds.

thanks
Only thing i can suggest is maybe get an eq pedal? im not to sure
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
yeah the fat strat is a really good idea. you should definetly swap the humbucker out for a seymour duncan pick up. which ever you like really but somehting probly with a relativley higher output. and to get a really fat les paul sound youll probly want the bass turned way up to like 8 and set mid like at 5 and treble at like at 4 er sumthin. just mess wih it till you get your desired sound. and the pedals will help too.
[B]Member of the Orange Revolution Club. Buy an Orange to join.
Member #16 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.
Sweet cheers people. I'll get the fat strat, probably switch out the humbucker. Tweak the EQ and mess around, see how it sounds. If there's not enough sustain I can get a compressor, and I could look into one of those things posted ^^^ the 'fat switch'.

thanks a lot everyone.
Strats usually don't have that much sustain? Usually guitars with a bolt-on neck have less sustain than guitars with a "glued" neck. At least that's what I was taught.
Yeah that confused me too, I'd always heard that strats didn't have the sustain. Could someone please tell whether a strat would have good sustain or not? If not would the CS-3 be good to counter this?
The difference between a set neck and a good fitting bolt-on needs to be measured with an ocilloscope, you won't notice the difference in most cases.
Strats have great sustain.

Les Pauls have more, though. I can't really imagine how you'd make a Strat sound like an LP, when the LP's body has something like 150% of the strat's body volume...

Might be able to get close though.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by This_Kidd
I wouldn't want it to sound like a Les Paul, even if it's just the humbucker. EG. when I want to play iron maiden.

actully Adrian uses a Les Paul as his main Studio guitar!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Eric Clapton used some sort of active mid boost circuit to get a sound closer to a humbucker out of a Strat, I don't know how they sound though.

Also don't know how this would sound but a Les Paul with the ability to split the coils might give you a sound closer to that of a Strat out of a Les Paul.
i'd say if you're looking to get a Les Paul sound out of the Strat, If you havent already!, i'd say look into Rory Gallagher, there is a way he set up his rig, that made his Strat sound like a Les Paul, if you look up articles, here seems to be alot of people commenting on that, and i've for sure noticed that myself, i know he uses the ibanez TS-8 or 909 Tube Screamer, (SRV uses that pedal too!), but thats only one thing among gallagher's rig, but either way if you accomplish that mission, let us know how it goes and share it, cause i think it would be absolutly cool as can be!, so more power and luck to ya man!
Come on, don't bump threads that are this old.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
The Boss CS-3 is not a good idea! Whenever i've played through one, the efect on the sound was not great. It also created a lot of noise! It just was a bad sounding pedal! Instead of getting pedals and replacing the pickups, you might just wanna get a les paul. The epihone les paul are very good sounding and that is the only way you will REALLY get that sound. Save your money and just get a LP. Then you can use your strat speciffically for the strat stuff.
Guys, it's not a good idea to answer questions to a 5 year old thread.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
I saw Gabe and I got all excited
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era