Ive seen fretless guitars before and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to not put frets on a guitar. Are they any good? I was only wondering because putting on frets seems like a difficult thing.
You will find it hugely difficult to do bends, plus they're harder to play in other ways; you have to be very precise about where you put your fingers.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Well Would that not defeat the purpose of it being fretless
Basically I was just wondering because, it seems like its gunna be a bitch to put frets on it, so I was just looking for alternatives.
Quote by M4jorpiz
do it that would be sick it would sound so cool

Really, why? Do you know anything about this?

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by fragydig529
Why not just use a slide? And not press the strings all the way down>?

Well that really wouldn't be the same as having a fretless guitar.

it`d be neat for lead, but chords are gonna sound like **** in the beginning

I`ve been playing fretless a good bit, and it`s pretty fun, what with the slides and vibrato...
Quote by amorebelladonna
Ive seen fretless guitars before and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to not put frets on a guitar. Are they any good? I was only wondering because putting on frets seems like a difficult thing.

I just finished a defretted guitar a few hours ago. I think I put the wrong strings on it but it sounds very nice with a glass... thing you put on your finger. I'm gonna put on some nylon strings and then I'll see

the whole process was really really easy, the only difficult thing was putting the strings back on and tuning it.

I'll be posting a thread tomorrow as a kind of guide and tell everyone about the sound
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
I just finished a defretted guitar a few hours ago. I think I put the wrong strings on it but it sounds very nice with a glass... thing you put on your finger. I'm gonna put on some nylon strings and then I'll see

A slide, perhaps?

Quote by Strat_Monkey
A slide, perhaps?

Glasslide... yeah that makes sense... we have a different name for it in swedish I think
Yeah. I've never heard of someone using a slide on nylon strings though. Um... why are you putting nylon strings on your guitar if, presumably, it originally had steel strings? That won't be entirely healthy.

Haha, yeah well I heard it gives a very nice sound. I think there's a special nylon string that you can use on an electric guitar that alot of the fretlessguitarists use... I'm gonna ask my guitar center tomorrow or so

the guitar I used in my "Project" was fairly new as well and very cheap, so I'm not really concerned about it's health
If you put nylon strings on your guitar, they are gunna snap, because the way the neck and headstock is, it will put too much pressure on them. Theres a thread about it somewhere...
I don't think the nylons will snap, but eventually your guitar's neck will start to bow because it's meant to take much more pressure than nylons provide/require.

Can't I put nylon strings on the guitar and stretch the neck frequently?
Well, maybe. But you could just get a nylon string guitar Would make life easier. There are differences in terms of the proportion of nylon/steel strung guitars; the body shape of a nylon is made especially to pick up the frequencies of nylon strings and so on a guitar meant for steels the sound won't be as good.

Oh, thx. But I heard flatwound strings would work gret on a fretless guitar, but they're not nylon are they?
the biggest problem is getting the higher notes to sustain.

mouse farts for the lose.

if you have wood that has really good sustain and a nice solid-body design it might work.
Quote by Kensai
Oh, thx. But I heard flatwound strings would work gret on a fretless guitar, but they're not nylon are they?

Indeed not. Why the desperation for nylon strings, may I ask?

Quote by Strat_Monkey
Indeed not. Why the desperation for nylon strings, may I ask?

well I heard it's better, but I might've been wrong. Anyways I've got flatwound strings now and they sound alot better, the higher notes are even hearable