Ok so have been seriously considering getting a distortion/overdrive pedal. I have roughly $170 bucks...any ideas? I have been looking at the Jekyll & Hyde pedal but i'd rather hear some opinions first

thanks in advance
Member of the SOAD Fan club.

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
"Noob can't even kill level 2 boars."
Originally Posted by clincher09
just might be testicular cancer, but I bet you'd give your left nut not to have cancer
Well the Jekyll & Hyde is really nice, but what sort of stuff do you play? and what amp do you have?
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
I love the J&H, its so amazing.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Quote by timzs
yea.. id go for a boss metal zone.. its rly gd n bout $100

im not even gunna start...go with the j&h
Quote by fronkpies
Well the Jekyll & Hyde is really nice, but what sort of stuff do you play? and what amp do you have?

Mostly metal. Im really into a very crunchy animalistic sound. i want to mix the sound of like, a freaking t-rex roar with...idk...the sound of a bajillion ton asteriod hitting earth. I have a nice lil practice amp. Im getting a new one for christmas so thats not on the top of my list.

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
just might be testicular cancer, but I bet you'd give your left nut not to have cancer
well, i dont know exactly what kind of tone your looking for with that description, but if you dont really need an Overdrive i'd look for a similar priced Distortion pedal, even though the one of the J&H is amazing, its so versatile, but if your not going to use an overdrive its kind of a waste.

but the Hyde side of the pedal can get you anywhere from a nice fat distortion perfect for heavier blues, Sabbath type stuff to a really tight great sounding metal tone.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Yea Ive loved the J&H for years. The OD part is smooth and works well for overdriving an amps dirty channel. And the distortion part is awesome as well. Plus youre able to mix the two together to get infinate amounts of gain.
Well thanks for the advice guys. I think i'll go with the J&H

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Yea Ive loved the J&H for years. The OD part is smooth and works well for overdriving an amps dirty channel. And the distortion part is awesome as well. Plus youre able to mix the two together to get infinate amounts of gain.

Only thing i dont like about the mixing is you cant really go from one setting to both without either a bad sound or a lot of noise, you have to get down and adjust everything so its not really gig worthy if you plan on using both settings at a time.
Wait a minute. I just saw the digiTech Death Metal distortion

thoughts?

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
Quote by GreenPhantom
Wait a minute. I just saw the digiTech Death Metal distortion

thoughts?

No...please no. Comparing the J&H to that is like comparing an MG to a Rectifier. The Death Metal pedal just isnt good at all.
im not comparing. I just want a more "ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAR squeeeel" sound

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
lend me some advice then?

(thanks for steering me away because i was almost deadset on getting it)

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
Yeah, listen Kurdtkobaign, he knows his ****.
Well the problem isnt really the way the Death Metal sounds (well it is but not the main problem). Its the lack of control you have over it. Theres no knob assigned to how much distortion it puts out. Its stuck on 11 at all times. The only things it has are Low, Mid, High and level. You cant really do much with it...

The Boss MD-2 is alright for the price. And the Rocktron Silver Dragon is awesome!
Yeah i just heard demos of the Silver Dragon, and it sounds just right for me. Thanks dude, so unless anyone has any objections...i am one step closer to getting a dragon

sdrawkcab gnidaer pots

DeviantArt
Quote by BodaciousZac
just another option, but you could get the Keeley modded Boss MT-2 used for under $100. It's a major improvement over the stock pedal IMO. My friend has one, and I liked it for a distortion pedal. Keeley has some clips on his site, at the top. http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=16

I've never heard the Silver Dragon in person, but IME most of those "tube" OD/distortion pedals are overpriced and more gimmick than reality. Again, never tried that particular one though.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids