I just started like 2 weeks ago, i have an acoustic and was wondering, how do u Hammer and Pull off? im trying to play some songs and i dont know how to do it.
Hammer on is when you hit the note and then you put your finger on a higher fret on the same string without hitting the string again. So you'll hear the note but it'll be softer than the first.

A pull off is the opposite its when you've hit one note and then you lift that finger up so that a lower note on the same string sounds.

Sorry if it sounds kind of confusing but it's actually really easy to do.

Oh and also Hammer Ons and Pull Offs are harder to hear on an acoustic so it might sound very quiet at first.
i started with my ring and pinky finger... anchor your pointer finger on whatever fret you want, and hit another fret on that string with your middle, ring, or pinky finger and it should make a sound (if it doesn't don't be discouraged, you just need to build up strength.

and to pull off, just pull with the hammering finger, and it will play the note that your pointer finger is holding down

hope that helps
Your going to need tough callouses to egt good at hammer ons. Pluck and open 5th string and then while it is still ringing just use either your ring or middle finger the start (as they are the toughest for you so far) to hit a fret with enough power to make the new note ring softer. A good practice is Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

Pull offs are the opposite.
Thx guys, fast forum! one more little thing, sorry im a huge noob :P

what does ^ and / means in a tab?

i.e
Eb-7-----------7^0---------|---------7---8---7^8\5---7-5-/0------|
Bb---------0-------0-------|---------0---0-----------0-------5---|
Gb-----0---------------0---|-----0-------------------------------|
Db-------------------------|-------------------------------------|
Ab-------------------------|-------------------------------------|
Eb-0-----------------------|-0-----------------------------------|

and man i just tried the hammer and pull off on acoustic! boy its hard! i pressed very quick on the strings and it made a tiny whistle :P

i need to be faster or stronger!
Last edited by qOcOP at Sep 17, 2006,
Quote by AiCPearlJam
Your going to need tough callouses to egt good at hammer ons. Pluck and open 5th string and then while it is still ringing just use either your ring or middle finger the start (as they are the toughest for you so far) to hit a fret with enough power to make the new note ring softer. A good practice is Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

Pull offs are the opposite.

You don't need power to perform a hammer on.

Quote by qOcOP
Thx guys, fast forum! one more little thing, sorry im a huge noob :P

what does ^ and / means in a tab?

Eb|-7^8\5-| 
Bb|-------|
Gb|-------|
Db|-------|
Ab|-------|
Eb|-------|

In the context of this tab, the ^ means hammer-on, and the \ means slide.

So in this section, you'd pick the 7th fret, hammer on to the 8th and slide to the 5th fret.

When the ^ is used - it means either to perform a hammer on, or a pull off - depending on the first and second note.

If the highest note is followed by a ^ and a lower note, you'd hammer on, but if the lowest note is followed by a ^ and a higher note, you'd pull off. (I.E - 7^0 in this tab would mean to pick the 7th fret and pull off the open string)

But, in general, you'll see hammer ons notated by a h and pull offs notated by a p.

Quote by qOcOP
i need to be faster or stronger!

You don't need any excess strength to be able to perform a hammer on correctly - please don't fall into the trap of thinking a correct hammer on is executed by putting as much force behind your finger as possible, it isn't.

You need to search for a correct position of the hands, where simply dropping your finger onto the string produces the note - which will require minimal force and strength on your part.
Last edited by Johnljones7443 at Sep 17, 2006,
Ohh i see, let me see if i get the hammer and pull thing yet,

so basicly a hammer is my finger hitting the fret where the string is right? and the pull off is the opposite, when i take my fingers off?

correct me if im wrong.